Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from KEF R3
Hello. I currently have NAD M10 amp+ KEF R3 speakers. The system sounds ok but lacks bass.
Prices are crazy where I live "Turkey" and I cannot import from Amazon, the tax is like 200%!
Anyways. A guy is selling a new Silver phantom for 1800 Euros which I can afford. There is another shop that has another used Silver "display unit".
I am thinking of buying them both. 
The question is: will the silvers sound better than the R3s?
(13-Jun-2020, 15:16)emadgaidi Wrote: The question is: will the silvers sound better than the R3s?

Too much general question: “sounds better than” in audio discussions is quite of a point Smile
You would need to find someone else with the same experience or at least with a change from your same speakers.

I personally never heard the KEF R3s (even if I had tried NAD amplifiers in the past in my systems), but if you are lacking bass with R3s, you cannot absolutely be disappointed with Silver Phantoms. That’s sure.
"Better than" in audio is an assessment that is never objective, it always has a subjective element. Different people like different sorts of sound, for example some like horn speakers and some hate them, some like vinyl playback and don't like digital, some like digital and don't like vinyl. Saying A is better than B is often nothing more than a statement that the speaker prefers the sound of A to the sound of B and lots of other people can be found to say the opposite. If you want to know whether the Silvers sound better than the R3s you need to listen to the Silvers for yourself, preferably in your own room because room and setup can make a big difference as well.

But you need to consider some other things as well. You don't need your amp with the speakers. What sources are you using, how are you going to connect them to the Silvers, can you use all of your existing sources easily with the Silvers, if you share your home with others are they going to find it as easy to use the new setup as they find using the current setup and will the new setup cause any problems for them? You're moving to an entirely different kind of system and setup when you go from an amp and passive speakers to active speakers which may be more limited in their connection options. It's pointless making the change because the Silvers sound better if they don't let you do all of the things you want to do with them, and do those things in the way you want to do them.

Find someone, a dealer or an individual, with a stereo phantom setup, go and listen to it and talk to them about setup and options, and about what you want to do with them. Find out whether you like the sound and whether you can make them work the way you want them to work in your home. If someone else also uses your system, take them with you and see if they also feel happy about making the change. In the end the change is only worth making if you like the sound, if you can do all of the things you want to do with the system, and if others who use the system are also going to be happy with it as you are because otherwise you're likely to find the change becomes a point of contention that detracts from your enjoyment of it.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I have a pair of Silvers that I absolutely love but it took me a while to get them to that state. Out of the box (to my ear) they sounded flat and were base heavy. I was able to attach a DSP to the audio chain and tuned the speaker to my liking. Once that was done I am simply amazed at what they are able to do. If you aren't up for adding additional components then I would simply add a subwoofer (or 2) to your configuration to solve the lack of bass issue.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante