Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade or departure?
(21-Jul-2021, 07:39)tsmithpam Wrote: Not had the best experience with Devialet overall, so have many concerns sticking with them. But intrigued by the potential benefits of the ‘golds’ over my ‘whites’.

Until Devialet can consistently release updates with minimal problems and quick fixes, there is still a BIG question mark over their ability with software.  Yes, some people are now reporting better experience with sound quality and stability, but have forgotten, or not experienced, the pain that others have endured. The key is whether you can forgive, and forget, past concerns?

And, for me, no question that the Golds are better than the Whites...
Have any of you who have upgraded used your phantoms with a a WiFi mesh network (Eero, Google)? I’ve had so much trouble with connectivity I’m always on the verge of selling my three Golds at a huge loss. (The suggestion to use Ethernet cables on all three makes my head explode - I got them specifically to be wireless speakers, not to tether them to a router with extra cables.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Eggman
Sorry for your troubles. I've used the original Golds with Google OnHub, the predecessor of the Google WiFi, without any problems. That said, WiFi congestion isn't a problem where I live and the router was 4 meters away. Unfortunately I haven't tried the Phantom I with WiFi, they're all wired. Devialet hasn't mentioned a better WiFi reception with Phantom I, only the new SOC and less heat/power consumption as far as I know.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(02-Oct-2021, 14:53)Eggman Wrote: Have any of you who have upgraded used your phantoms with a a WiFi mesh network (Eero, Google)? I’ve had so much trouble with connectivity I’m always on the verge of selling my three Golds at a huge loss. (The suggestion to use Ethernet cables on all three makes my head explode - I got them specifically to be wireless speakers, not to tether them to a router with extra cables.)

I have 3 Gold Phantoms (2 Gold first edition from when they came out and one of the latest from this year Premier I, 108 dB) I’m using 3 Eero pro mesh (not the latest wifi6 ones) and I’m using WiFi to all three Phantoms with RAAT protocol from a ROCK NUC server. Of course the Phantom internal PLCs could also be running at least between the paired stereo zone. But not cables, only plugged to electricity. The third is running as a single zone and in Roon I have merged the two rooms. Like this all three are playing everything I throw at them. No single dropouts for weeks of playing, dead stable. I can stream from Qobuz 192k/24bit, no problem. Of course Roon reduces Bitrate to 96/24 as this is the highest the Phantoms accept. Then within the Phantoms this is even reduced to 48/24 before conversion to analog signal. Hope this information is useful.
Update…….
My two phantom I golds arrived yesterday.
All set up and early indications are positive! Will spend more time over the weekend trying all properly and will give full thoughts after, but I can report the Devialet elevate programme was excellent.

I nervously sent my two classics back after getting the boxes from France. One empty box got delayed in Uk as UPS messed up delivery, but this was resolved in 48hrs. Wasn’t too stressed as only empty box!

I sent them back on Wednesday last week and had the new golds back and set up the following Wednesday (yesterday). Only 7 day turnaround and absence of speakers was very acceptable to me.

I since found my old receipt for the classics and worked out that the elevate programme gave me back 86% of the value I paid for them in 2017. For me that’s a result.

Fingers crossed so hard that I now have a better and more settled and stable experience with the phantoms and Devialet going forward!!

(28-Jul-2021, 00:01)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(21-Jul-2021, 07:39)tsmithpam Wrote: Not had the best experience with Devialet overall, so have many concerns sticking with them. But intrigued by the potential benefits of the ‘golds’ over my ‘whites’.

Until Devialet can consistently release updates with minimal problems and quick fixes, there is still a BIG question mark over their ability with software.  Yes, some people are now reporting better experience with sound quality and stability, but have forgotten, or not experienced, the pain that others have endured. The key is whether you can forgive, and forget, past concerns?

And, for me, no question that the Golds are better than the Whites...
Completely agree.  

I would add however that Devialet’s customer support has been a very supportive to the point calling me directly to assess what the problem is and gets things back to normal.  It is always disappointing to have to deal with any service department, but in my experience Devialet is head and shoulders above anything else I have experienced.
[/quote]

I have 3 Gold Phantoms (2 Gold first edition from when they came out and one of the latest from this year Premier I, 108 dB) I’m using 3 Eero pro mesh (not the latest wifi6 ones) and I’m using WiFi to all three Phantoms with RAAT protocol from a ROCK NUC server. Of course the Phantom internal PLCs could also be running at least between the paired stereo zone. But not cables, only plugged to electricity. The third is running as a single zone and in Roon I have merged the two rooms. Like this all three are playing everything I throw at them. No single dropouts for weeks of playing, dead stable. I can stream from Qobuz 192k/24bit, no problem. Of course Roon reduces Bitrate to 96/24 as this is the highest the Phantoms accept. Then within the Phantoms this is even reduced to 48/24 before conversion to analog signal. Hope this information is useful.
[/quote]

Sounds like you have a great setup! I’ve been away from home for the past 6 months, so I’m curious to see how everything works when I get back. I don’t think I can bring myself to “upgrade” as I’ve done it once before and was rewarded with a buggy, headache-filled year of audiophile misery.

The new phantoms 1 108db sounds better!  Tongue Rolleyes