Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade to D220?
Hi!!
If we stick to just the amplification and the DAC, is the upgrade from a D200 to a d220 worth it?

Thanks a lot!!
Juanma.
Hi @juanma
If you've been around since Nov. 2016 you may have seen the threads on the reactions of others who did the upgrade around that time. There are threads with titles about the Expert Pro or CI upgrade. They are four years old, so it may be a search of ancient history.

Also see the review that @Flashman posted a link to today. Conveniently it deals with the upgrade you're considering, though on the D Prem.

In short, I only use the amp and DAC, and I went from a D120 to the D220 Pro & then the CI. For me it was a profound change for the better and while expensive, I have not regretted it for one minute.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(12-Dec-2020, 19:40)Damon Wrote: Hi @juanma
If you've been around since Nov. 2016 you may have seen the threads on the reactions of others who did the upgrade around that time. There are threads with titles about the Expert Pro or CI upgrade. They are four years old, so it may be a search of ancient history.

Also see the review that @Flashman posted a link to today. Conveniently it deals with the upgrade you're considering, though on the D Prem.

In short, I only use the amp and DAC, and I went from a D120 to the D220 Pro & then the CI. For me it was a profound change for the better and while expensive, I have not regretted it for one minute.

Hi Damon,
I have read in the forum quite a few opinions on the matter but they were opinions that spoke in general, they did not specify only and exclusively in the amplification and the dac.
I have everything wired with Innuos Zenith, Roon, Linn Akurate 242 speakers, Moon 430HA headphone amplifier.
If you have not regretted it is that the improvement is evident, thank you very much for your help.
Cheers!!
Hi Juanma,

I think that most of us who upgraded are extremely pleased with the upgrade but I always make a point of saying that not everyone likes the Pro version better. A few felt that the midrange on the Pro seemed less forward than with the Expert. I'd expect the D Prem change to be similar. As for just commenting on the Amp and DAC, I think that is generally what we did comment on, as everything that goes into the Amp goes through the DAC.

Good luck deciding.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I recently upgraded the D400 to D440Pro.
It is a moderate step forward in sound quality- this is not damning with faint praise- moderate improvement on something that was already really good is hard to achieve.
It is louder, clearer, more effortless, easy easy easy to follow one instrument or harmonic line. I think it is very unlikely that I could have upgraded to another amp / DAC for the price of the upgrade and had the same degree of improvement.
Your upgrade will represent a greater fraction of the purchase price but you might benefit from doing the maths: how much is the changeover to a "better" amp / DAC (price - trade-in) vs how much you will pay to upgrade the Dev.
Good luck Smile
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
Hi everybody!!

if i upgrade my D200 to D220 will my D200 be the same as if i bought a  new D220?

Thanks a lot!!
(13-Dec-2020, 12:34)juanma Wrote: Hi everybody!!

if i upgrade my D200 to D220 will my D200 be the same as if i bought a  new D220?

Thanks a lot!!
Functionally, yes.  Plus you obtain (from Devialet website):
- 5 years new warranty
- In-depth cleaning of your unit and its remote control
- New product packaging.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Definitely recommended
(12-Dec-2020, 19:02)juanma Wrote: Hi!!
If we stick to just the amplification and the DAC, is the upgrade from a D200 to a d220 worth it?

Thanks a lot!!
Juanma.

I was thinking of adding another D200 to make a D400.
Everyone told me it was better to upgrade to 220, so it was. I hope he comes back next week.
Fantastic UPS service, shipped 4:48 pm from Italy, arrived 6:02 am Paris the next day. 10.42 am taken over in the laboratory .
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia
(14-Dec-2020, 07:10)Marietto Wrote: Fantastic UPS service

Yes, I had ASTONISHING fast service from UPS sending and receiving my D400-to- 440 upgrade- just incredibly fast.
A couple of dings in the outer box but otherwise very impressive
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.