Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgradeitis!
Contemplating an upgrade…
I continue to be amazed by my system and yet am absolutely positive there’s more to come. After listening to some $$$ systems with Solution and CH Precision I’m quite sure an amp upgrade I’ll help my Magico S5’s deliver there all. Despite the MK2 and soon to be Mk3 the original S5 is till exceptional and would be a small fortune to better from the used price I paid!
So, amplification it’s.
I’m contemplating a Merging Nadac and Pass Labs X250.8 not least because it’s available locally. 
That being said there’s also a Krell FPB700 in my town too!

The question is: what’s a worthwhile step up in DAC and amplifier that won’t break the bank BUTbwill be a big step forward?

The biggest thing I’m looking for is soul, body, substance and realism coupled with enhanced spatial out and sound stage.

Thanks in advance.
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!
Have a listen to Playback Designs DAC, these are one of the recent DACs that impresses. Playback Designs also promotes that their designs does not need an external clock. The sound of Playback Designs seems to suit your needs, it definitely has soul and body.

MSB also got quite a lot of praises, although I haven't listened to it myself. Good thing again, MSB also do not encourage external clock.

I listened to a few times dCS, but I really don't like the sound of it. With brands other than Playbakc and MSB, clock seems to really improve sound, the trouble being having to match all these clock and power cables for different components. Big hassle..... In fact, if you don't mind going through cable matching, even a Chinese DAC combo with clock at one tenth of the price of DACs like Playback Design can produce sound that is worthy of calling high end.
(20-Nov-2023, 03:19)LeeC Wrote: Contemplating an upgrade…
I continue to be amazed by my system and yet am absolutely positive there’s more to come. After listening to some $$$ systems with Solution and CH Precision I’m quite sure an amp upgrade I’ll help my Magico S5’s deliver there all. Despite the MK2 and soon to be Mk3 the original S5 is till exceptional and would be a small fortune to better from the used price I paid!
So, amplification it’s.
I’m contemplating a Merging Nadac and Pass Labs X250.8 not least because it’s available locally. 
That being said there’s also a Krell FPB700 in my town too!

The question is: what’s a worthwhile step up in DAC and amplifier that won’t break the bank BUTbwill be a big step forward?

The biggest thing I’m looking for is soul, body, substance and realism coupled with enhanced spatial out and sound stage.

Thanks in advance.

If you're able to get a FPB700C, grab that one. It will make a helluva difference. Next step would be a DAC with pre. Playback Designs MPD-8 and the less cheaper MPD-6 are excellent. But they are still pricey like heading for dCS Bartok or Bricasti DACs ... all of them are excellent with slight difference in flavors. What I find 'bang for the buck' is the Meitner MA-3. Check this out. A MA-3 - -> FPB700 will be great !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US