Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Usage questions
Hi All,

I'm looking at either purchasing a pair of white, or silver phantoms - and just had a few usage questions.

1. To use spotify connect, do you first need to change the phantoms to a spotify input ? Or is it always available to spotify clients (like on most hardware streamers).
2. Is the optical input auto sensing ? Or do you always need to change to it's input via spark or hardware remote ?.
3. Does the hardware phantom remote, allow you to change inputs as well as volume (I couldn't find any specifications on the remote) ?.
4. I will need to have two optical sources. (1 from TV and one from a RPi3 for Roon). Can one go into one of the Phantoms, and the other into Dialog (or one in each phantom ?)
5. Does the OSX spark app, allow you browse added music (sitting on a NAS) by artist/album ? Any video examples of spark on Windows/OSX would be welcome Smile
6. I have a rather large open room (around 7m x 6m). Will a pair of white phantoms be sufficient, for moderate to high volume listening (not ultra high).

Many thanks!
1. To use spotify connect, do you first need to change the phantoms to a spotify input ? Or is it always available to spotify clients (like on most hardware streamers).
It's always available in Spotify Application.

2. Is the optical input auto sensing ? Or do you always need to change to it's input via spark or hardware remote ?.
It's auto sensing

3. Does the hardware phantom remote, allow you to change inputs as well as volume (I couldn't find any specifications on the remote) ?.
Nope

4. I will need to have two optical sources. (1 from TV and one from a RPi3 for Roon). Can one go into one of the Phantoms, and the other into Dialog (or one in each phantom ?)
You can use optical port of both Phantom or Dialog.

5. Does the OSX spark app, allow you browse added music (sitting on a NAS) by artist/album ? Any video examples of spark on Windows/OSX would be welcome Smile
I'm not at my home now but I will make you a video of how Spark works with NAS.

6. I have a rather large open room (around 7m x 6m). Will a pair of white phantoms be sufficient, for moderate to high volume listening (not ultra high).
Yes.
Thanks for confirming those things, and offering to make a video. Much appreciated! Apart from the screenshots on the devialet site, there really isn't a lot of information on Spark.

That said, how would you compare a pair of white phantoms, against something like a LE 120 and KEF LS50's (or B&W CM5's) for example ? The extra inputs on the expert series is a big plus, however I'm in two minds about which direction to go..
(13-Aug-2016, 10:04)blodsbror Wrote: Thanks for confirming those things, and offering to make a video. Much appreciated! Apart from the screenshots on the devialet site, there really isn't a lot of information on Spark.

That said, how would you compare a pair of white phantoms, against something like a LE 120 and KEF LS50's (or B&W CM5's) for example ? The extra inputs on the expert series is a big plus, however I'm in two minds about which direction to go..

I've owned/used those setups. You'll find the LS50/Expert combo more articulate in treble and midrange - it is however not a huge difference - it's surprisingly close. The Phantom however will absolute destroy the LS50/Expert combo in bass at normal to loud listening levels.

Given the choice I'd definitely go with Phantoms. If it was the KEF Reference 3 or 5 with the Devialet 200 or 250 it'd be closer (Phantoms are indeed that good).

Here's a great review which actually pits the Phantoms against the LS50/Expert combo:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...om-part-2/
That was a very interesting read! Thanks for that. That is astonishing. Will the white phantoms, even kill a LE120 LS50/CM5 setup ?. Going by the price of 2 x Silver Phantoms, LE200 + KEF reference 3 is about 6 times as much!

I'm listening to a lot of Rock/Metal (and electronic here and there), so it's important with a lot of 'bite' to the bass and midrange. And hopefully they can 'pressurise' a rather large room, bass wise. Otherwise it will need to be large floorstanders..
Ad 1. Always available. Works well.

Ad 2. Auto sensing, yes. But defaults to volume 30, which is almost always too low, so Spark almost always need to be opened anyway, unless you have the physical remote.

Ad 3. Volume only

Ad 4. Yes.

Ad 5. Think so but don't use spark (Sonos or Spotify connect for me)

Ad 6. I have whites in a 8 x 5m room. It's plenty for me. I never go over 70, which is very loud. Classical is often recorded at lower volumes, so that may change things. Golds have better treble unit, so may be worth it for sound quality at lower volumes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(13-Aug-2016, 09:59)mak972 Wrote: 1. To use spotify connect, do you first need to change the phantoms to a spotify input ? Or is it always available to spotify clients (like on most hardware streamers).
It's always available in Spotify Application.

It's auto sensing

Nope

You can use optical port of both Phantom or Dialog.

I'm not at my home now but I will make you a video of how Spark works with NAS.

Yes.

Saw this too late. Same answers as mine :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem. Thanks again. Very helpful!. Do you find that the bass is sufficient to pressurise a room that size ? Especially for rock ?.

And last question for now: In a stereo setup, is it fine to have an optical source going into the left speaker (TV optical) and also the right speaker (Raspberry PI for Roon)? . Will the optical input autosensing, simply just play the active source out of the two ?
(13-Aug-2016, 11:43)blodsbror Wrote: No problem. Thanks again. Very helpful!. Do you find that the bass is sufficient to pressurise a room that size ? Especially for rock ?.

And last question for now: In a stereo setup, is it fine to have an optical source going into the left speaker (TV optical) and also the right speaker (Raspberry PI for Roon)? . Will the optical input autosensing, simply just play the active source out of the two ?

That is exactly how I use it. TV into one Phantom and RPi/Roon into the other. They auto switch. I prefer Roon to Spark but Spark sounds slightly better to me.
Right, good to hear!. I guess it's possible to also connect the RPI, out to the digalog via optical ?