Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use phantom as sub and center?
Is it possible to send the center and lfe to a phantom? Sync volume control?

I love my linn dsm and bookshelf speaker imaging and need a sub anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
D200/Audio Physic Tempo 25 (SAM)/Roon+Tidal
Don't know the answer.  If you already have Phantom, then worth a try.

But if you are going to purchase a Phantom for that, I personally won't recommend it.  I feel that the bass is not as resolved as a good dedicated subwoofer can be, even lower cost well designed ones.   The bass just do not have as clean edges/speed as the bass that I get with dedicate subs.   Of course, this is just one person's opinion.  I am going to have my wife and son both evaluate independently of me and get back with you.  I wish that the Phantoms had more air and would be more resolved. BUT for its size, it is incredible.  But then I don't want to have to qualify, 'For its size'. 

MtnGuy
The Phantom has a delay of 100-200 ms which will most likely make it useless for this purpose.
(03-Nov-2015, 22:12)curban Wrote: The Phantom has a delay of 100-200 ms which will most likely make it useless for this purpose.

I thought the new firmware brought it down to 30ms?

D200/Audio Physic Tempo 25 (SAM)/Roon+Tidal
(03-Nov-2015, 23:45)rumnyc Wrote:
(03-Nov-2015, 22:12)curban Wrote: The Phantom has a delay of 100-200 ms which will most likely make it useless for this purpose.

I thought the new firmware brought it down to 30ms?

Where did you get that from?
Been there, seen it, done it. It's possible but a massive faff with the delays, plus the re-sampling of the analogue Sub+Centre channels from your AV processor.
My biggest problem with it though, was placing the Phantom for clear dialog without getting in the way of the screen. Anything less than 2ft from the floor colours its neutral sound. Just above & behind the TV was good... but far too unsafe.
Also, for best LFE bass, a Phantom has to be treated properly like a subwoofer and placed near the corners for best room loading. Unfortunately, that is not the best position for mids & highs as well.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I thought the delay was only an issue if the source came via the dialogue but if directly sourced from a ht amp using optical then it would behave like any other sub.
The delay is due to the DSP processing inside the Phantom. The bass is achieved by using DSP for getting a correct response, and that takes time to process. The only way of decreasing the delay would be using a faster processor inside Phantom (not an option for current ones), or disabling the DSP processing, but then you would get a lousy sound.
(05-Nov-2015, 10:04)yesgrey Wrote: The delay is due to the DSP processing inside the Phantom. The bass is achieved by using DSP for getting a correct response, and that takes time to process. The only way of decreasing the delay would be using a faster processor inside Phantom (not an option for current ones), or disabling the DSP processing, but then you would get a lousy sound.

Or add a component that can delay the video (if you want your phantoms to be used in a home cinema setup).
Or add a component that can delay the external sound (if you want your phantom to be a subwoofer).

Problem: I don't know which component to add...
(you need to be able to modify the delay in milliseconds, because each setup is different)
Well, in a computer it's quite simple, because you can add delays easily in software, but in hardware it would be quite tricky...