Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Used D400 vs new D220 (speakers = Sopra #2)...
Smile 
Hi,

If you have any other points to add or general views on the D400 vs D220 debate please let me know…. such a tough decision ahead!

Below are points to note (*’s) and the positives (+’s) to summarise where I have got to from reading the various threads within this forum and a number of reviews.

Option A: Purchase a NEW D220 Pro in Spain/France for around €6,400 / ~USD$7,200. Hoping to get 20% VAT refunded as I will be on holiday.

+ Will sound better due to “pro” (~30% of people have this view when compared to a D400)
+ Upgradable (D440) if I wish to spend more money (which I don’t at this stage)
+ Better streaming capabilities (which I won’t be using at this stage)
+ Will have 5-year global warranty (purchased in Spain but to be used in New Zealand)
+ Will be purchased for around 60% of the current retail price in New Zealand (usefull in the event I need to sell)

Option B: Purchase a USED D400 (2 x D200) in New Zealand for around ~€7,000 / ~USD$7,800

* Used privately for about 5 years (so outside of global warranty). Will have 3-month store warranty.
* Sold on behalf by a reputable dealer
* If one unit failed I would likely be left with a D200
+ Will sound better due to extra power (~70% of people have this view when compared to a D220)

Other notes;
* Main front speakers are Sopra #2 with no plans to change
* Used for ~50% music and ~50% home theatre.
* Will probably upgrade to Roon Nucleus in next 24 months
* I am based in New Zealand

Where I get to is that these options are very close… but the number of positives of the D220 put it in front but only slightly over the more powerful D400.

So, have I missed anything or got something wrong?

What would you do?

Any advice would be appreciated
(26-Jul-2019, 10:27)mks Wrote: Hi,

If you have any other points to add or general views on the D400 vs D220 debate please let me know…. such a tough decision ahead!

Below are points to note (*’s) and the positives (+’s) to summarise where I have got to from reading the various threads within this forum and a number of reviews.

Option A: Purchase a NEW D220 Pro in Spain/France for around €6,400 / ~USD$7,200. Hoping to get 20% VAT refunded as I will be on holiday.

+ Will sound better due to “pro” (~30% of people have this view when compared to a D400)
+ Upgradable (D440) if I wish to spend more money (which I don’t at this stage)
+ Better streaming capabilities (which I won’t be using at this stage)
+ Will have 5-year global warranty (purchased in Spain but to be used in New Zealand)
+ Will be purchased for around 60% of the current retail price in New Zealand (usefull in the event I need to sell)

Option B: Purchase a USED D400 (2 x D200) in New Zealand for around ~€7,000 / ~USD$7,800

* Used privately for about 5 years (so outside of global warranty). Will have 3-month store warranty.
* Sold on behalf by a reputable dealer
* If one unit failed I would likely be left with a D200
+ Will sound better due to extra power (~70% of people have this view when compared to a D220)

Other notes;
* Main front speakers are Sopra #2 with no plans to change
* Used for ~50% music and ~50% home theatre.
* Will probably upgrade to Roon Nucleus in next 24 months
* I am based in New Zealand

Where I get to is that these options are very close… but the number of positives of the D220 put it in front but only slightly over the more powerful D400.

So, have I missed anything or got something wrong?

What would you do?

Any advice would be appreciated
Hi, and welcome to Devialet Chat!
Personally, I would go with the D220 beacause it’s newer technology, you’d have a five year guarantee, CI board should you upgrade your streaming capability and it’s cheaper than the used D400.
The 220 is easily good enough to drive the Sopra 2, @David A uses a 140 (I think) to drive his Sopra 2s.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
@mks

As @Axel said, I use a 140 Pro with Sopra 2s and find it works really well. A lot depends on how loud you like your music and how large your room is. I've got an L shaped room which is a bit under 30 sq m in area but because of the shape and where I place the speakers, my listening position is relatively close to the speakers, about 2.6 metres from each speaker. Most of the music I listen to is jazz so lots of acoustic rather than electric instruments and I listen at modest levels so I'm not driving the 140 hard, the volume control is usually around the -20 dB level so I've got plenty of power to spare.

I'd also go for the 220 Pro for the same reasons Axel gave, provided you don't need the extra slightly less than 3 dB in peak level that the 400 would give you. Some people think that the dual amps provide better sound quality than the single amps but I think the gain is likely small. I bought my 140 prior to the release of the CI board so it was pretty similar in technology to the 200 at that stage. I felt the CI board gave me a small gain in sound quality so as far as sound quality goes, ignoring the slightly higher peak volumes you can reach, my 140 was probably similar to a 200 before the CI board upgrade and it worked well with the Sopra 2's at that stage. I don't think you'd get a big improvement in sound quality from the 400 over a 220 but judging sound quality is a personal thing and you might find it more compelling than I would. If you've got a noticeably bigger room than I have and like your music loud you might find the extra power useful.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(26-Jul-2019, 10:27)mks Wrote: So, have I missed anything or got something wrong?

What would you do?

Since you are open for used items, How about a used D220 in NZ itself?
Devialet Expert Pro CI 220 + Marantz SR7013 | Kef Reference 201/2 R200c E305 E301 (5.1.4) |
Marantz Consolette |
Thanks to all for the feedback.

The lounge room I have is pretty large, 6mx6m and one side is completely open to a larger area - probably ~80sqm in total area.  The entire area is an open plan longe, kitchen and dining. My seats are 4.5 from the speakers.

In terms of volume, we listen to acoustic music and movies at a medium to loud level.

One of the main reasons for upgrading the amp is to add bass (and general depth / pressure).  I have run an MJ Acoustics sub previously and loved what it added but fiddling with the settings has become too annoying... and my room was too big for the sub.

Have PMed Wtree.
A bigger amp won't add bass. Speakers produce bass and you need main speakers or subs which go down low if you're going to get low bass in a room. You need a more powerful amp to get loud bass, especially in a large room and you've got a large room, especially with that opening to a larger area because your room is effectively the combination of the 2 spaces. If you can't get the result you want with a sub, the difference an increase in amplifier power from 200 to 440 watts isn't going to deliver what you want. In a space the size of your total space you're going to want some serious subs, probably 2 or 3 of them, in order to generate the combination of depth and pressure you seem to be chasing.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Have you checked Audiogon? They have several new and used 220

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9fc...olid-state

This particular one is asking under 5k us and states will ship world wide. There are a few others that claim to be NEW in the 5600 us price range.It is not clear on their shipping to Europe though so you would, Ed to inquire.

There are a few 440’s for sale as well.
(28-Jul-2019, 18:53)mmorrison55 Wrote: Have you checked Audiogon? They have several new and used 220

This particular one is asking under 5k us and states  will ship world wide. There are a few others that claim to be NEW in the 5600 us price range.It is not clear on their shipping to Europe though so you would, Ed to inquire.

I've been debating this issue as well.  I currently have a D400, and was looking into selling it for a single D220.  The dealer I work with strongly advised against doing that.  He was adamant that the extra power from the D400 was much more important than the slight update in the ADH circuitry.  With the speakers I' m using with them (Dynaudio Focus 360's), he said the extra power was more important to the overall sonic presentation.  

He may be right.  My second system uses a pair of D-Premiers (500 watts), and it does seem to me that it is slightly better (subjectively) than the D400 driving a pair of T+A Criterion TB160's.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
(29-Jul-2019, 17:58)Redwingnine Wrote:
(28-Jul-2019, 18:53)mmorrison55 Wrote: Have you checked Audiogon? They have several new and used 220

This particular one is asking under 5k us and states  will ship world wide. There are a few others that claim to be NEW in the 5600 us price range.It is not clear on their shipping to Europe though so you would, Ed to inquire.

I've been debating this issue as well.  I currently have a D400, and was looking into selling it for a single D220.  The dealer I work with strongly advised against doing that.  He was adamant that the extra power from the D400 was much more important than the slight update in the ADH circuitry.  With the speakers I' m using with them (Dynaudio Focus 360's), he said the extra power was more important to the overall sonic presentation.  

He may be right.  My second system uses a pair of D-Premiers (500 watts), and it does seem to me that it is slightly better (subjectively) than the D400 driving a pair of T+A Criterion TB160's.

Your dealer is right, indeed. Dynaudios are power hungry
In my opinion, more power is (almost) always best.