Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Using Devialet's active cross-over
Back on topic, the recent Devialet demo of the B&W Nautilus looked like it was indeed a fully active setup using nothing but D400's.

I for one would love to see some technical information with respect to exactly how this was achieved. Might even be good for business if one or two of us ended up buying extra Devialets in order to go fully active!
Another thought, the new Phantom device apparently has 8 ADH amplifiers in it. (4 x 2 in parallel)

I can only be a small jump from this to a fairly compact system running a fully active multi way speaker?
Shocked 
Phantom: in principal the same concept as mine except 40 engineers working for 2 years on some better software.http://devialetchat.com/images/icons/smile.gif
I am quite curious to hear a pair and I would assume that it will "trickle up" to some larger and more expensive speakers.
The Phantom uses pistonic driver but I think bending wave driver can sound much more musical.
(15-Dec-2014, 12:04)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Awesome stuff!

There were a few interviews a year or so ago with a few speaker designers on the Soundstage! network. Lawrence Dickie (Vivid) was one of them. They all agreed that the best way forward was active x-overs. The hurdle for speaker designers is not how to make the best active speakers but more how to sell them to what seems to be more 'tinkerers' than music lovers. I just want my music to sound good but from what I read I'm in a minority and most people in this hobby just feel the need to muck with their setup on a regular basis.
There's a slow change happening (Dynaudio has just introduced the new active Focus range with 600Watt in their top floor stander! Just imagine a floor stander with Devialet ADH amplification) but I can understand that the industry as a whole isn't too keen on this. Imagine a world where all you need is a laptop and a set of speakers. Where's the profit in selling that?

On another note; I see you have a stone floor and a high (raked?) ceiling with little furniture. Does it have a negative impact on SQ? I'm very curious because that's what our new living room will be like and I'm a bit worried about echo echo echo...

Cheers,

Pim
Hi Pim,
Just a suggestion, I have just bought some Annette Douglas acoustic curtain material that has been specifically designed to stop echo in offices and school halls etc. It is manufactured in Germany and sold in the UK by a company called Vescom. They don't make up the curtains but only sell by 3 metre width x any metre length. Currently having mine made at the moment, can let you know how I get on if you are interested.
Cheers,
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
As I posted in other threads my new "perfect" digital source is the SDTrans384 board. It uses SD(HC) card, plays wav format  up to 192/24 and is connected to my D250 via SPDIF (BCN - RCA). I finally build a little box around that board and I am using 4 AA NiZn with a TPS7A4701 RF LDO Voltage Regulator
I planning to built a 5V linear power supply  to see if that would sound as good as the battery supply (would be more convenient).

The sound quality is much better than anything I experienced but then I did not tested something like top Melco, TotalDAC or Aurender. As one can see the UI is really minimal!
(14-Apr-2015, 06:13)Music or sound Wrote: As I posted in other threads my new "perfect" digital source is the SDTrans384 board. It uses SD(HC) card, plays wav format  up to 192/24 and is connected to my D250 via SPDIF (BCN - RCA). I finally build a little box around that board and I am using 4 AA NiZn with a TPS7A4701 RF LDO Voltage Regulator
I planning to built a 5V linear power supply  to see if that would sound as good as the battery supply (would be more convenient).

The sound quality is much better than anything I experienced but then I did not tested something like top Melco, TotalDAC or Aurender. As one can see the UI is really minimal!

I just found this thread.  It is quite interesting to me as I have been using active digital crossovers on my Nola Grand Reference loudspeakers.  These are a 2pc per side, 4 way design and I have each driver group directly connected to a stereo amplifier (four modified TacT S2150) which each implement a user-designed/programmed low and/or high pass filter, as well as room correction, target curve adjustment, delay for time alignment at the listening position, and gain matching.  I have the crossovers, all symmetric, set to 50Hz (24 dB/octave), 330Hz (24dB/octave), and 3300Hz (36dB/octave); up to 60dB/octave is supported.

With these speakers this setup was easy to implement, simply by not using the supplied external passive crossover networks and the line level low pass filter for the subwoofers.  Obviously most commercial high end speakers have internalized passive crossovers, so bypassing them involves a major DIY project.

I've used the Devialet online configurator to see what it is capable of... the crossover functionality is okay although no slopes beyond 24dB/octave are available. And of course an external measuring device will be needed to do gain matching and time alignment.  I've read that room correction and other DSP might be added in the future, I hope that is the case.  SAM is nice and simple for speakers in the database, neither mine nor any of the other Nolas are at this time.
(17-Dec-2014, 00:14)Confused Wrote: Another thought, the new Phantom device apparently has 8 ADH amplifiers in it. (4 x 2 in parallel)

I can only be a small jump from this to a fairly compact system running a fully active multi way speaker?

I would really like to see this coming in the near future. At least something like affordable D50 or D30.
One could use D200 for low end and stack let's say two D50 for mids and highs.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford two or three D200.
Just a little update: A Innuos Zenith II replaced my CD transport and very likely also my SDtrans-384 which still has a smidge better in sound quality but is so inconvenient to use (on which SD is which album?). I am using an Inakustik reference USB cable but I would like try to also an ethernet connection with my D250-Pro core but I am lost how that works after the core upgrade. Innuos can connect via UPNP to phantom but not to an expert.
(02-Feb-2018, 00:21)Music or sound Wrote: Just a little update: A Innuos Zenith II replaced my CD transport and very likely also my SDtrans-384 which still has a smidge better in sound quality but is so inconvenient to use (on which SD is which album?). I am using an Inakustik reference USB cable but I would like try to also an ethernet connection with my D250-Pro core but I am lost how that works after the core upgrade. Innuos can connect via UPNP to phantom but not to an expert.

Looking on the Innuos website at the Zenith specifications, I see that it has two Ethernet connections. You would have to connect the Zenith to a switch that the Devialet is also plugged into so that they both show up on your LAN. Make sure that the Ethernet connection is activated in the Configurator, then simply choose the Air input on the Devialet and stream music from the Zenith. I think this should work!
Hope this helps.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England