Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Phantom Reactors as Monitors
Hi guys.

I am hoping you can help me.

I would like to use the Reactors for mixing some music. I have recently got an Audio Interface (Scarlet 2i2).

I used to use Optical into the Reactors from my PC listening to music (Which worked fine), however using them as monitors is not great currently due to latency.

If I go into the app under AV Sync, I can get the latency down but it's not where I want it (Especially when strumming guitar). If the reactors are plugged into a 3.5mm why does the AV sync still make a difference? Should it not be direct into the phantoms anyway? They don't need to be wireless stereo as I am putting the L and R into the audio interface separately with the AUX.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I ideally need a 10ms or lower latency.
Living Room: Devialet Dione
The reactors do a ton of internal processing to make them sound that good. As such, it doesn’t matter how good your signal is, the processing will still incur latency. You won’t get better than 60ms. That’s just how it is.

Sorry.
Thank you for the feedback!

I listened to some music earlier on today and they just sound amazing.

I can't get the same oomph through the optical connection or when using 3.5mm from the audio interface. The best always sounds through bluetooth.

If I can't use them as monitors I will have to sell them (sadly). I have put them up for sale on the forum.

For TV and music listening I think they will be hard to beat though.

I have emailed Devialet as a final try before I decide to sell.
Hi,

With DOS 2.9.0, the minimum Stereo stable latency i can get is : 190ms to 80ms, not 60ms.

80ms is great for all DSP features for a real FULL RANGE speaker, and incredible sound (NO SUB needed) Smile

I don't follow official Devialet TUTORIAL :

First : i create a Stereo ROOM in configuration.

Then, I plug Optical input to one Devialet Reactor 600, and i use an Ethernet Cable between the one and the second, and the communicate between them (left and right) even if WIFI is OFF Smile (after Stereo configuration , i can switch off wifi , and just use optical cable and ETHERNET for STEREO between the 2 Reactor)

The Ethernet liaison between Right and Left seems to be more stable in Stereo, and i can reach 80ms stable minimum latency.

I don't understand why Devialet don't speak about this Ethernet soluce in Stereo, that i think more stable than Wifi between left and right, and even the Wifi router is off, it still work with optical input Smile

Regards,

Olivier F.
IMAC -> MOTU 8A -> TOSLINK -> PHANTOM I RIGHT AUX OPTICAL INPUT-> ETHERNET CABLE between LEFT and RIGHT (60ms):  2X Phantom I 103 dB (2021) in STEREO MODE DOS 2.12.3 - app 1.14
For recording they work well - you can monitor through headphones and mix through Reactors. But if you need them for live performance, they’re no good for that sadly.
OK thank you for the replies. I have my Phantoms for sale on this forum and went with some Focal Twin Studio monitors.
Actually, it turns out I’m incorrect on this. If you have the custom reactors and a dante setup apparently you can get genuinely low latency.
Interesting.

The nice thing with the focals is that they have auto on / off. I switch the pc on, the speakers come on and it’s all ready to go. I got down to a 2.7ms latency which is not noticeable.

Excellent mid range and they sound excellent. Their big size means they sound big. They are a real joy to listen to.

I still have the reactors boxed and can’t decide whether to put them in the bed room.

If I don’t get a decent price I might keep them.