Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a Chord M-Scaler with the Expert Pro 220
Interesting review. My only additional comment is that I've read other reviews comparing M-Scaler to HQPlayer, where the reviewers preferred the sonics from the M-Scaler over HQPlayer.

I just know the M-Scaler works very well with the Expert Pro 220. It is an audible improvement when it's in the loop.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
For its price you can buy another (pre-owned) 220 Pro and make 440 Pro or upgrade to (pre-owned) 250 Pro - both would be much more audible improvement.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

I've sent in a D-Premier for upgrade to a 250 Pro.  Will be able to evaluate what the deltas between the 220 Pro and 250 Pro are. 

Regarding the deltas between the Expert 200 and 400 ,  what I have found is that with more efficient speakers,  the differences may not be noticeable.  My current speakers are 90db/w @ 4 ohms, and there was no difference audibly between a single D-Premier and dual D-Premier setup.  When I had less efficient speakers,  the dual setup did indeed improve the performance. 

The M-Scaler/Hugo-TT2 combination is part of a headphone setup.  It also is used with a tube amp chain occasionally used as a change of pace sound.  The M-Scaler does indeed improve the performance from the 220 Pro, and expect the performance of the 250 Pro to be improved with the M-Scaler as well. 

For users of Roon, the HQPlayer should also improve the performance of any Expert/Expert Pro.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

In my system, with my speakers - the difference between 220 Pro and 440 Pro is pretty significant and worth the cost.

(11-Mar-2022, 22:43)Redwingnine Wrote: Tried using the Chord M-Scaler with the Pro 220. Selected the third selection from the M-Scaler,  which provides the 220 Pro with a 176.4KHz or 192KHz input signal.  Makes a significant improvement with 220 Pro playback.  Every aspect of playback is simply better.  There is a noticeable difference with clarity,  soundstage,  you name any aspect of playback, it's improved. 

It's really noticeable when switching to streaming inputs,  where the M-Scaler is not in the chain.   From a sonic quality perspective,  sound is better from the computer source via USB to the M-Scaler vice direct streaming to the 220 Pro.  

If you happen to have a M-Scaler for your headphone setup, definitely look into using it with the Expert or Expert Pro.  You will be pleasantly surprised.

(21-Mar-2022, 13:33)Delija Wrote: In my system, with my speakers - the difference between 220 Pro and 440 Pro is pretty significant and worth the cost.

I have no doubt.  I had the same improvement when I had ATC SCM19 speakers.  I was somewhat surprised to find out my current speakers didn't benefit audibly with a dual D-Premier setup. In most cases,  would think a dual Expert setup would be better.  When my 250 Pro comes back, will be keen to evaluate the sound to see what deltas between it and the 220 Pro are.

Great. Please write your experience with 250 Pro.

Will do. It's at the factory now getting updated.

The SCM19 has a SAM profile too. Have you tried it?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(11-Mar-2022, 22:43)Redwingnine Wrote: Tried using the Chord M-Scaler with the Pro 220. Selected the third selection from the M-Scaler,  which provides the 220 Pro with a 176.4KHz or 192KHz input signal.  Makes a significant improvement with 220 Pro playback.  Every aspect of playback is simply better.  There is a noticeable difference with clarity,  soundstage,  you name any aspect of playback, it's improved. 

It's really noticeable when switching to streaming inputs,  where the M-Scaler is not in the chain.   From a sonic quality perspective,  sound is better from the computer source via USB to the M-Scaler vice direct streaming to the 220 Pro.  

If you happen to have a M-Scaler for your headphone setup, definitely look into using it with the Expert or Expert Pro.  You will be pleasantly surprised.

(22-Mar-2022, 09:53)ogs Wrote: The SCM19 has a SAM profile too. Have you tried it?

Yes.  It did provide a small amount of improvement.   Wound up swapping out the SCM19 for a pair of Dynaudio Focus 360s.  The SAM helps out the 360s quite a bit.

(21-Mar-2022, 14:43)Delija Wrote: Great. Please write your experience with 250 Pro.

Just got back the updated D-Premier,  which is now a Expert 250 Pro.  Will need to conduct some listening tests,  but initial impressions are pretty positive.  It definitely weighs more than the D-Premier did.   Will post observations once I get a handle on the sound.