Poll: Would you upgrade to next gen Expert Pro?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, an improved version would be great
33.33%
19 33.33%
No, I’m ready to move on to another brand
12.28%
7 12.28%
No, I’ll stick with my currrent version
54.39%
31 54.39%
Total 57 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you buy a ‘Next Gen’ Expert Pro?
First for a simple answer, although I am very happy with my system at the moment, would I like some kind of improved Expert that somehow offered improved sound quality? Yes I would.

Then comes the question of how much money would I be prepared to part with for improved sound? This would of course depend on how much I felt I valued the improved sound, which would require a decent audition and is of course a very subjective thing.

When thinking about the vulgar money aspect, the OP mentions a product that would be no more than a 20% increase on current prices. OK, a 20% hike in price seems reasonable, or does it?

In the UK a 1000 Pro retails for £24,900. This would make the new model £29,880. Moreover, if I were to PX my current 1000 Pro, I am thinking that the price to change is going to be in the region of £20k. For that kind of money it would need to be a substantial improvement, I would almost certainly wait a while until my current amp was even older and something even better emerged.

Or would the new super Expert still use the current case? Then we might have some kind of upgrade scheme and a far more reasonable cost to upgrade. This would be far more interesting to me than parting with £20k+

On the specifics - @Blackmorec When you mention a "much improved and modernised DAC" - are you thinking about a DAC that simply sounds better, or something that can run native DSD? (or maybe both?) If so, I suspect that this is simply not possible within the ADH architecture, which is definitively PCM based, as is DSP such as SAM. DXF might be possible, but I cannot see any technical reason why this should sound much better than 24/192. Similarly, by "dramatically improved power supplies" are you thinking LPSU's here? If so, that would certainly consign the current case design to history. (unless the power supplies were external, that might work?)

In terms of "improved DSP room tailoring" - I think what we really need is a way to load and run convolution files natively within the Expert, not Devialet trying to develop their own RC system or software. With this as a possibility, owners interested in room correction could use any software that they wanted, and the Devialet could run the resulting convolutions. With products like Focus Fidelity available now, I see little point Devialet trying to develop something similar in terms of the actual RC software. As a thought, I suspect that this might actually be possible with the current Experts, if Devialet were so inclined to develop such a feature.

As a bit of trivia, I recall a conversation between Mathieu Pernot and Jon from Oxford Audio at one of their past Devialet events. The topic of this conversation was regarding the possibility of some kind of "high end" super Devialet. So you never know.....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Still happy with my 400. Never did the upgrade because of the pricing strategy back then and the devaluation of my two 200’s because of that. Using a separate streamer never did spark any interest in the CI platform.

If a next generation was developed right now, I might consider the upgrade though, if the new DAC would mean a leap forward in sound quality.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(22-May-2022, 10:46)kerkhoffd Wrote: Still happy with my 400. Never did the upgrade because of the pricing strategy back then and the devaluation of my two 200’s because of that. Using a separate streamer never did spark any interest in the CI platform.

If a next generation was developed right now, I might consider the upgrade though, if the new DAC would mean a leap forward in sound quality.

Actually   the 220 Pro is a pretty good step up in sound quality from the 200.  Improvements to the DAC section,  along with a significant improvement to the ADH , improving the resolution by a factor of 4.  The power supply also has a 6db improvement in the noise floor. 

To me, the upgrade program offered by Devialet is worth it.  This is especially true for upgrading a D-Premier to a D-250 Pro.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
(22-May-2022, 19:16)Redwingnine Wrote:
(22-May-2022, 10:46)kerkhoffd Wrote: Still happy with my 400. Never did the upgrade because of the pricing strategy back then and the devaluation of my two 200’s because of that. Using a separate streamer never did spark any interest in the CI platform.

Actually   the 220 Pro is a pretty good step up in sound quality from the 200.  Improvements to the DAC section,  along with a significant improvement to the ADH , improving the resolution by a factor of 4.  The power supply also has a 6db improvement in the noise floor. 

To me, the upgrade program offered by Devialet is worth it.  This is especially true for upgrading a D-Premier to a D-250 Pro.

I have tested both side by side when the Pro came out. But after spending full money on two D200’s just to have their value decimated by the Devialet decision to ask the same for upgrading a D120 to 220 Pro as a D200, really pissed me off back then. Somehow I expected Devialet to keep upgrading the Expert range when they released the Expert Pro. And have been enjoying my system ever since, while contemplating that íf Devialet brings out a new Expert (in the same casing), that might be a good moment to upgrade and skip the current Pro series all together.

The upgrade is now much more affordable then it was back then. There will come a time where I may decide to either upgrade to D440 Pro or, and that might even be a smarter upgrade path, upgrade to a second hand D1000 Pro. That seems more likely now than Devialet bringing out a new Expert series in the same case with even better DAC or other features I would use. Best upgrade I did was leaving Air behind me and started using the Aurender N10 as a source. For me a much bigger jump in sound quality than the 440Pro I compared with.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
There's a number of things that (maybe) could be provided through firmware upgrades. Other things instead would need an entire new hardware.

Let's be realistic: Devialet has not released their desktop app for the last two iterations of the MacOS. So, my expectations for free updates is null.
Many people here declared to be happy with their Experts and, albeit I own an entry level model (the 120), I must admit it is quite spectacular, in particular thinking about how much I paid for it. But I would definitely be reluctant in investing MSRP money on a line of products that sometimes feels defunct.

Anyway, playing with fantasy, here's what I'd admire in a new Expert model:
- offering the option to order a phono stage with XLR input and current mode. I use my phono as a SUT+MM stage combination (dead quiet, BTW) as I found the MC performance totally disappointing. A fully balanced, current mode seems to be a phenomenal approach for low impedance cartridges and that option might be desirable to many
- generating an app for true streaming capabilities. I am driving the digital section of my 120 through a Node 2i (at the moment I'm mad at them as an automated firmware update screwed the ability of many many users, including myself, to browse their library on HDDs that are in their network) and the commodity to have a single software that works as a container for library access, internet radio and streaming services is nice. Many people use Roon (for me, the trial was just a frustrating experience), but I don't see why in 2022 I should have a computer active as a Core. I'd like to see a future Expert line able to be plugged via ethernet to a router and find, with a quick and intuitive app, music libraries and all the streaming services (right, Amazon included)
- regarding the sound performance, I'd like something that would enhance the low volume performance (IMHO, my Expert's Achille's heel)
- as many people mentioned DSP, I would guess that an intuitive implementation would be desirable
Pro CI implements UPnP standard. You don't need anything else for streaming.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(27-May-2022, 21:48)Delija Wrote: Pro CI implements UPnP standard. You don't need anything else for streaming.

I know. But I also know that most Expert users rely either on Roon or on the interface of external streamers.
My point is having a user friendly and complete app that allows to browse any accessible music from a single source.
It would have to be a noteable upgrade with clearly defined and audible improvements

But then there is always a "new and improved" model of something anyway. Even electric cars are improving from one generation to the next

Only 20%? It would be worth it if the above criteria were met
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
Clearing out some paperwork, I came across this flyer which came with my Expert Pro 220 purchase,

"...new exciting features will be progressively unlocked through simple software updates".

I guess Devialet's definition of 'progressively' is somewhat laughable... every 3 years (at best)?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet Expert Pro 220, ATC SCM40 speakers, Pro-Ject Xtension 9 turntable, Chord Signature XL speaker cable