Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Verry bad service Devialet
Devialet seem to be re-writing European consumer law. If a Phantom stops working due to a component failure you have a lot longer than two years to expect a replacement on the basis they can't fix it.
(25-Feb-2017, 19:37)Jamington2004 Wrote:
(25-Feb-2017, 18:49)Xander Wrote: Most loudspeakers can not be repaired if you drop them: complex multi layer of wood, hand polished, internal structures, multiple layers of lack.... I had once someone who overturn my B&W Matrix: no repair possible... you could change the speaker and filter, but not the construction...

So not completely strange from Devialet in my opinion.

I have now a very good insurance covering these kinds of accidents, and that would me my advise for all with expensive gear.

That's not really very true is it? I would say 99% of speakers if you blow a tweeter, or damage a mid range / bass driver they can simply be replaced?

And with active units - amp boards could just be replaced?

Even a damaged enclosure / they could take all the clever bits out of the damaged one and put into a new one?

All of which would be a darn site cheaper than buying a new pair of speakers?

IMHO of course Smile

That's what I said right? You can replace the parts, but repairing the case is difficult or not possible (and the case is about 2/3 of the price - in my B&W example-).

The TP mentioned a 'dent' so I made the parallel with a loudspeaker case to be repaired like my Matrix ;-(

Probably you could remove all tech pieces of the Phantom and put it in a new shell, but there are no tools / process for, or Dev just doesn't want to.
they said they can't repair it, full stop.... not just opening the case.. the whole thing cannot be repaired.
How do I post pictures here so I can show the damaged Phantom?
(23-Feb-2017, 18:19)JimmyJ Wrote: oh shit, so if you break it out of warranty it goes straight in the bin?

It would not reflect well on Devialet. The problem, I think is with their agents that may sometimes erroneously inform the buyer that the units cannot be repaired so as to get away with offering the quality of after sales service required of such an exceptional product. Devialet should guarantee the units repairs ( at a fee) after the warranty expiration.
I got the same response from both the support desk as well as from the manager of their store :-(
Photo 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Above pictures of the Phantom which can not be repaired according Devialet.
Does it still play? From an audio perspective I am assuming that if the magnet coils are not broken that it still works fine but looks unsightly?

I have often thought the moment that I received the first Phantom that if their large side woofers is inset like traditional speaker driver, that it won't be as prone to damage. Of course, it won't be quite as unique. Devialet values their aesthetics very much so I can't see them ever going to inset driver for the Phantom just to reduce damage though some may argue that form should follow function.
It's pretty sad that the equivalent of a woofer on any other speaker can't be replaced at all. That to me sounds like a massive lack of foresight. As Rodrat says, it's probably not even legal to sell something that can't be repaired at all. Knowing this I wouldn't recommend anyone to even consider Phantoms.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.