Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vivid Oval K1 choice?
With the recent addition of a home-built Music server, now replacing my old laptop for serving music, for a while I have been wondering if I can further improve what I have as possibly the last major change in my D400 system as I am about to retire so dosh will not be as forthcoming as it used to be.

Currently and for the last 9 months I have been pretty happy with the Triangle Signature Deltas, but something keeps nagging at me....

One other reason for the change is that we will be moving this year and downsizing (as you do when you get old!), and I will not have the luxury of a 14 x 28ft room any more, more like 12 x 15 if I am lucky!

So.. I have been casually glancing around for something...a bit special!

Out of the blue, I was offered a pair of Vivid Oval K1s - circa around 2010ish complete with original boxes etc for someone I know, but not in the Uk...
...but at 6k I wondered if that was a bit steep for 5-6 year old speakers?

The reviews I have found are are pretty good, so next, I need if poss to find someone closer to me to audition a pair (cheltenham - UK)... They would have to be very special to beat my Triangles which are surprising good for the money!

One thing that slightly bothers me is the bass extn & quality as I do like amongst other things to occasionally listen to cathedral organ music (much to the chagrin of my wife who hates it!)...but maybe later down the line I could compliment with a sub if funds allow.

So... step up? ..or not?

Thoughts anyone?
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I had the K1 for some time driven by a D-Premier at that time. It has a lot of the capabilities of the Giya G2 that I have now.
The K1 is a very good speaker especially for that money. Especially in a small room. No vibrations because of the opposite bass speakers.
(20-Jan-2016, 17:02)Vivialet Wrote: I had the K1 for some time driven by a D-Premier at that time. It has a lot of the capabilities of the Giya G2 that I have now.
The K1 is a very good speaker especially for that money. Especially in a small room. No vibrations because of the opposite bass speakers.

Intrigued!

How did you find bass extension? Obviously your new ones (you lucky @%$&!) are a different ball-game, but I just want to be sure that I am not going to be disappointed because effectively they are stand-mounts and the cabinet is a fair bit smaller that the Triangle Deltas I have now?

cheers

Keith
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
(20-Jan-2016, 17:12)teddlesdee Wrote:
(20-Jan-2016, 17:02)Vivialet Wrote: I had the K1 for some time driven by a D-Premier at that time. It has a lot of the capabilities of the Giya G2 that I have now.

Intrigued!

How did you find bass extension? Obviously your new ones (you lucky @%$&!) are a different ball-game, but I just want to be sure that I am not going to be disappointed because effectively they are stand-mounts and the cabinet is a fair bit smaller that the Triangle Deltas I have now?

cheers

Keith

Hi Keith;

I recently bought a pair of Vivid B1's, which are smaller than the K1's, and have them set up in a room that's 18 ft x 15 ft with 11.5 ft ceilings, and they have surprisingly good bass extension.  I compared the B1's and K1's driven by a D250 about half a year ago, and they sounded very similar, except that the K1's had noticeably more bass.  I haven't heard any Triangle speakers so I don't know how they sound, but I doubt that you'd be disappointed with the K1's.
K1's for 6 grand are an utter bargain.. the pairing with devialet is VERY good..
You will not lack for bass at all... have you seen the k1's in real life..? definitely NOT stand mount size...they are big...
once you migrate to Vivid , you will only upgrade within the range...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I guess there are speakers with more bass extension, but the precision and impact is very good. On the other hand the vivid speakers belong to the most musical ones which is more important for me than some bass extension. And if you want more bass extension you can easily integrate a sub with the Devialet which will be a much better solution for a small room. Buy a sub with room correction and filter the Vivids at 60 or 80Hz. That avoids all room resonances for this room size.
(21-Jan-2016, 08:23)Vivialet Wrote: I guess there are speakers with more bass extension, but the precision and impact is very good. On the other hand the vivid speakers belong to the most musical ones which is more important for me than some bass extension. And if you want more bass extension you can easily integrate a sub with the Devialet which will be a much better solution for a small room. Buy a sub with room correction and filter the Vivids at 60 or 80Hz. That avoids all room resonances for this room size.

There is lot of bass extension with vivid k1, especially now when there is SAM profile for it and there is NO need for any kind of subwoofer. Vivid K1 is extremely fast and musical , so any kind of sub integration will be huge mistake ending with destroyed  K1's magic! K1 & sub ---> NOT rrecomended.

-- 
Regards, Hrky
You would have thought I would have leaned by now to stem my compulsiveness after 66 years!

Having seen the responses here I was very keen to progress my purchase, BUT, I got stopped in my tracks when I noticed a comment on their size...

The photos on t'internet are very, very deceiving it turns out, what I though would be smaller than my Triangles, after checking their dimensions (which I should have done before), they are a fair bit bigger in all directions -something I am probably NOT going to get passed 'her-in-doors!', much to my extreme disappointment!

So.... I then started looking at the B1's. Yes! I know that this step down is just that... and I would possibly need a sub (to match my tastes), but are they as good and gifted as the K1s otherwise... is this true? Any niggles with the B1?

Anyone got or have experienced B1s with their kit out there?

They would it seems better match my room size (to come), and be more 'marriage' friendly - especially in pearl if I can find some!

If anyone is interested in those K1s, I know who to get them from....
You can just buy them and do an 'oops! they didn't look this big in the picture'. Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(21-Jan-2016, 14:06)Pim van Vliet Wrote: You can just buy them and do an 'oops! they didn't look this big in the picture'. Smile

Haha!
Done that already with the Triangles! Not sure if I will keep my 'nadgers' in the place they are used to, if I try that again.... I was tempted, really-tempted, but I don't fancy the pain!

Blush