Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W. London streamer bake-off
It seems that for many of us the final piece in our hi-fi jigsaw is a streamer. We all know the talents and shortcomings of AIR, and we know there are quite a few new products out there that have garnered praise.

My plan is to host a streamer bake-off at my place in mid-June.

Venue: Chiswick, London W4.
Time: probably the evening of Mon 15 or Tues 16 June.

This thread is the place to:
1. express interest;
2. offer to bring kit;
3. make suggestions for the format of the event.

Numbers will be limited (max. probably around 10). In the unlikely event that the bake-off is oversubscribed, I'll give priority to (i) the kind folk who run this forum, (ii) people who can bring relevant kit, (iii) people who have good ideas about the format, (iv) an arbitrary fourth category that I'll make up as I go along.

There is wheelchair access.

Oh, and it doesn't matter how bonkers your views about hi-fi are. That's all part of the fun, isn't it?   Angel

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(24-Feb-2015, 00:07) pid=\10485' Wrote:Hi Matt, I wouldn't mind coming along - can bring an Auralic Aries, the upper model. Regards, Paul

It seems that for many of us the final piece in our hi-fi jigsaw is a streamer. We all know the talents and shortcomings of AIR, and we know there are quite a few new products out there that have garnered praise.

1. express interest;
2. offer to bring kit;

Numbers will be limited (max. probably around 10). In the unlikely event that the bake-off is oversubscribed, I'll give priority to (i) the kind folk who run this forum, (ii) people who can bring relevant kit, (iii) people who have good ideas about the format, (iv) an arbitrary fourth category that I'll make up as I go along.

Oh, and it doesn't matter how bonkers your views about hi-fi are. That's all part of the fun, isn't it?   Angel

Matt
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
(24-Feb-2015, 00:07)Jwg1749 Wrote: It seems that for many of us the final piece in our hi-fi jigsaw is a streamer. We all know the talents and shortcomings of AIR, and we know there are quite a few new products out there that have garnered praise.

1. express interest;
2. offer to bring kit;

Matt

I think this is a cracking idea Matt, and it's very generous of you to offer to host this get-together.  Smile

I'm not too sure what my movements are likely to be around mid-June yet but as soon as I do I will confirm either way. Obviously I'll try and bring the totaldac. Wink  

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(24-Feb-2015, 00:07)Jwg1749 Wrote: It seems that for many of us the final piece in our hi-fi jigsaw is a streamer. We all know the talents and shortcomings of AIR, and we know there are quite a few new products out there that have garnered praise.

1. express interest;
2. offer to bring kit;

Matt

Hi Matt,

Sounds like a great idea. Not too sure whether my W4S is classed as a "streamer" as it has its own built in SSD, but it is controlled via an internet connection to my home PC router (it has wi fi capability, but not successful in my home environment, so I "hard Ethernet wired" it). Music files can be loaded either using the W4S built in CD "ripper" or I can "drag and drop" hi res music files stored on my home PC, including DSD format files. Remote control is via iPad using, in the main, iPeng 8.

Would like to be involved if I can make it - we are off to France on 18 June, so will be taking caravan down to Dover on 17 June - so 15 June may be better for me, if my kit qualifies!

David

PS - I should have added that the W4S does give me access to "streaming", but at present I limit it to the plethora of Internet Radio stations available - some very good stations out there broadcasting a very wide range of music (also found one broadcasting end to end Goon Shows - for those of us of a certain age!). I have not yet subscribed to any of the dedicated music sites such as Deezer, Spotify, Napster or Qobuz.
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Thanks to all who've replied so far: Paul ("Unclemonty"), David ("Brit"), and of course Guillaume (er, "Guillaume").

I realize it's a long way off, and there's many a slip twixt cup and lip, but it's nice to know there's some interest in the event.

I've also had a PM from a forum member in Brazil who might be able to make it. Result!

Matt

PS one thing I plan to do is borrow some BIG speakers from my local dealer, maybe B&W 800 Diamonds, as I think my little Sonus fabers won't be revealing enough, and the Martin Logans don't really respond well to a Devialet. Any suggestions welcome!

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
London
(24-Feb-2015, 23:17)Jwg1749 Wrote: Thanks to all who've replied so far: Paul ("Unclemonty"), David ("Brit"), and of course Guillaume (er, "Guillaume").

I realize it's a long way off, and there's many a slip twixt cup and lip, but it's nice to know there's some interest in the event.

I've also had a PM from a forum member in Brazil who might be able to make it. Result!

Matt

PS one thing I plan to do is borrow some BIG speakers from my local dealer, maybe B&W 800 Diamonds, as I think my little Sonus fabers won't be revealing enough, and the Martin Logans don't really respond well to a Devialet. Any suggestions welcome!

I Heard devialet with 800D and the sound was mediocre....so much money and uninteresting music...no musicality at at All...

bigger is not aliasy better...

Auditor M will show You everything but in an musical wayWink

But if You want to have sth bigger Please borrow SF guarneri Evolution...this is a fantastic match for Devialet 200 and much easer to transport and set upWink

Have fun with Your meeting 

best regards
I might be able to come along if you'll have me, Matt. I'm not exactly far away from you. Not sure what I can bring though. I'm using a Cubox at the moment which isn't too shabby and very portable Smile
Rufus,
It would be a pleasure. I'm interested in the Cubox.
Obviously it's early days: plenty of time between now and June to work out the details. And even if we don't manage to pull together a stellar line-up of streamers, we can still have some fun listening to music.
Matt

PS I'm on the verge of selling my Cremonas, to be replaced by something else. No idea what!

London
The biggest challenge will most likely be getting all the streamers working on the day, on the same wireless network, without lots of mucking about!  I have two suggestions: 

1) send out a common set of music files via Dropbox or similar so as to make meaningful comparisons between the streamers  

2) don't use a common library for the music but instead and where possible, store the music locally to the device, ie my Aries will read music from a USB key.  The reason I suggest this is that (in my experience) having lots of libraries on a single NaS leads to connection problems, at least certainly with the Aries it does.

Re speakers am v. interested to see how this pans out, although I'd have thought ML Montis would be the perfect reviewing tool, and a lot less hassle than borrowing something else, although it sounds as though you're getting new speakers anyway?

Looking forward to it, regards - Paul
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
Cheers, Paul!

I think the idea of having a set of shared files is very good. In fact, I'll probably put together a Spotify playlist in advance, so that people can accustom themselves to the music beforehand. Always happy to take suggestions for music as well.

Once we know what streaming boxes will be coming, then I'll need to do my homework on connectivity. Connecting streamers to our wired network shouldn't be a problem (famous last words!)

I hope we'll have a functioning DIALOG (!?!?), a modded Sonos Connect, a self-built PC/Linux box, and then one or two more expensive boxes from e.g. Auralic, Aurender, Krell, Lumin etc.

I've made myself a little unpopular on this forum by stating my view that a Devialet (I've tried the 200 and 400) can't drive Martin Logans properly. But if people would like to hear what the Montis can do, I'd be more than happy to set up that option.

Matt

London