Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did I buy, an upgraded 130 Pro or a 140 Pro CI?
Hello all, 

first post, and sorry for making it a cryptic one. 
Just took delivery of a Devialet and I'm a little confused exactly which model this is.
I bought it off a reputable seller on Audiogon who stated that this is a 140 Pro CI, not an upgraded 130 Pro, which has been returned by the original buyer.
When it arrived yesterday, the Devialet box said "140 Pro CI" and had an unopened sticker on it that looked original.
Nevertheless, on opening I noticed that the device itself had clearly been handled before.
Also, the serial number sticker on the back of the unit says "130 Pro".
Finally, looking at the menus on the unit itself show that it's got the pre out board installed.

All this seems to indicate to me that this is indeed an upgraded 130 Pro, not an original 140 Pro.
But it's got the pre out, so maybe I shouldn't complain.
I guess they are ultimately the same devices, but I feel a bit weird that I'm told it's one thing when it seems to be another.
Would love to get some perspective from other users that are in the Devialet world for longer than I am.
Thanks!

Cheers, Thorsten
Hello Thorsten,

From your description it seems to be an updated unit.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks for the quick reply, Bjorn!
Is there any difference between the 130 Pro and the 140 that I should be concerned about?
As far as I understand they are exactly the same, only that the 140 Pro does not have the pre out board installed by default.
Can you (or anyone else) confirm?
(17-Nov-2018, 09:12)thovie Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply, Bjorn!
Is there any difference between the 130 Pro and the 140 that I should be concerned about?
As far as I understand they are exactly the same, only that the 140 Pro does not have the pre out board installed by default.
Can you (or anyone else) confirm?

There is zero difference between the actual hardware and electronics for a 130 Pro or a 140 Pro.  Or to put this another way, if you had bought a 130 Pro new when it was first available, you could now update to the latest firmware and it would be a full blown 140 Pro.

That said, the 140 Pro firmware update is very recent, so an amplifier that that has a factory 140 Pro sticker on the back will be an almost brand new, an amplifier with a 130 Pro sticker could be up to two years old.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Pre-out is an optional $ extra on the 130/140 pro. So that is a bonus if you were thinking of using a sub.
If you got it second hand, the fact that it is was a 130 pro is unsurprising. If you got it from a dealer, they should have been candid about what they are selling.
Hope you enjoy it!
ex-Expert 210 Pro 
Thanks. I got it from a dealer, so I'm a bit irritated. I have run my questions by him now and his answer is that it's all fine and that the 140 Pro is essentially a 130 upgraded from factory. Somehow that doesn't sound right, but I think I'll just let it go. The unit I have works and sound great so far. Plus sending it back would be a major hassle.
thovie,

when I bought my D120, brand new from an authorized dealer, it said '110' on the dial, until I installed the firmware update. I did not feel cheated as I knew the difference is simply the firmware version. I think that you can feel very comfortable that the only difference between the 130 and140 is the firmware update. They are identical pieces of hardware.

Personally I think that the firmware upgrades that have updated some of the earlier models, over the years, is a very cool feature. So, a reassuring pat-on-the-back, a cool beverage* handed to you and a suggestion that you settle in to the wonderful sounds these amps produce. I still love mine almost 4 years on.

* could be a warm beverage, depending on where you are in the world.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks Damon for the reassurance. I'll just relax and enjoy the D140. Had a good listening session streaming all kinds of stuff from my Roon server today and believe I made the right decision buying into Devialet. Can only get better with future updates and upcoming RAAT support.