Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the max volume for Phantom?
Video 
I have pair of Gold Phantom playing through Iphone via Airplay.
My Phantoms are located in my room and it got me wonder, how loud could I play my Phantom with out damaging it and without compromising the sound quality as well.

I've had Phantom for only few days and where I live (S Korea) don't much have indormation about Phantom. 

If you guys could share me some ideas, it would be great. 
Sorry for the bad english ;-)
I believe the Speaker Active Matching prevents you from damaging the speaker. At least that's how it works with the Expert range (Only for the woofer though. You could still damage the tweeter.

The easiest way to find out how loud they can go before the start to distort; cranck them up! Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I have Silver Phantoms not Gold. These you can crank up to 100 in Spark without any obviously audible distortion. The SAM is an active filter that limits with a dynamically variable low-pass the excursion of the woofers such that they do not get moved over their physical limits. This means the frequency response of the Phantoms gets worse (less bass) with higher volume. According to some posts here in the forum this limitation starts at a volume of 70 when your input signal is 0dB. So as long as you stay in Spark below 70 you should be able to listen music without low frequency cuts. Of course this remains the case for even higher volume when you are listing a recording or passage in your played track that is recorded with a volume below 0dB. I suppose that the Gold Phantoms work the same and SAM2 performs at least as good as the 'older' SAM. So, no problem to crank them fully up. When you hear distortion then it's on the recording. This sounds then awful but has no impact on your Phantom speakers.