Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What now with Dialog?
Hi Tsmithpam

Just to let you know - its not gone quite to plan.

The volume control in Ipeng seems a bit unstable with the Phantom - it doesn't seem to be able to turn the volume down as far as I can see.

I'm going to read the app notes - there are lot of them to see if it's fixable but my nerves are a bit shredded at the moment - the volume suddenly went up to 100% and I couldn't turn it down without first loading the Devialet app to control it. Not easy when your ears are bleeding Smile

I don't want that to happen again! These things can go louder - especially with DOS2 - than I thought possible. Not only did the cat jump up and run off, but the break glass detector in my Hive system activated! Fortunately the cat is back but looking with some hostility at the Phantom.

I'm going to have a lie down!

kantblue
Oh dear!
I think there was some setting in the Logitech server for volume control. It must be defaulted to max, which you can adjust. Hope you find the solution. The innuos system manages this side of things so I have interrogated too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Kantblue

Just checked back at home and on iPeng you can go:
Player settings
Audio
Fixed Volume 100%
Then make sure this is switched off.

Hope that helps

(10-Nov-2019, 12:16)tsmithpam Wrote:
(10-Nov-2019, 10:50)kantblue Wrote: Hi Tsmithpam

Sorry for jumping in off-topic but could not help noticing your mention of IPENG.

I've upgraded to DOS2 (don't have a dialog) and been experimenting with MCONNECT UPNP app on my iphone but I can't help comparing it to my old Squeezebox/IPENG player setup - IPENG was and still is a great app IMHO.

Can you tell me a bit about your setup - I'm assuming you still need to run the Squeezebox Server software? Is it complicated to setup? I would love to be able to use IPENG to control my Phantom Classic. 

Cheers
Kantblue

Hey Kantblue,

I too really like iPeng. I find it easy to use and all of the family (inc kids) can use it happily on other squeezebox based players (Logitech radios) around the house.

My set up for the Phantoms is as follows:

Innuos Zenmini Mk3 (combined cd ripper, NAS and streamer).

Ethernet connection from Zenmini to router.

Optical output from Zenmini direct into back of one phantom.

Ethernet cable from same phantom direct to router.

Another phantom positioned and plug to mains separately from this and playing in stereo.

I used to have dialog in the mix but not now post DOS2.

The Zenmini has an integrated upnp server and I use iPeng to access flac files stored on my Zenmini.

IPeng also allows me to stream tidal. Others like Qobuz, deezer and Spotify also available this way.

It is only IOS based though. We have it on family phones and iPad. IPeng doesn’t work on Android.

Innous are great by the way. Check then out if looking for a new server. They have brilliant support ( one for Devialet to learn from!)

Cheers

This may be a dumb question but do the two Phantoms have to be linked or connected together via Ethernet?
I don’t think you have to have Ethernet as can by WiFi or PLC I thought? With DOS2 you can select your preference which was not an option in DOS1.

I have Ethernet as my router is close by so for me it offers stable connection.

I have router to one phantom via Ethernet. Other phantom is just plugged in and connects in stereo via network, now without dialog.

My server / player (innous zen mini) connects to my router via Ethernet as well, and to the one phantom via optical.

Hope this helps

(10-Nov-2019, 10:07)tsmithpam Wrote: I migrated to DOS2 yesterday and so far so good. The set up process was so much more straight forward than my experience originally via spark. Sounds great still and I have two upgraded classic phantoms in stereo. I connect to my innuos via optical and play local files and stream tidal using iPeng. Works well so far.

What now for dialog? I left to last as Devialet recommend, but didn’t even return to it to upgrade it as I got my set up working successfully now without it.

Do I need to reintegrate it for any reason or is it now obsolete? Very happy to leave it out but wondered what this meant going forward or what others have done with dialog??
Thanks

Devialet (or someone else) should make a hack that would convert dialog to an Internet Radio streaming source platform (filling the gap of the missing radio). Just using the dialog as an streaming source with two inputs:

1. the optical one, and
2. the same type of nice internet radio that went missing.

(output and connect to speakers with UPnP)

There should be enough hardware in that device to do that.
I agree, there is some processing power unused in Dialog that could potentially ease the Phantoms load. If Devialet is not actively exploiting Dialog beyond Optical and AirPlay it would be really nice to "open" it for the community so that some able coders can add some server capabilities like e.g. UPnP/OpenHome and Internet Radio.

Oh, and I forgot. Dialog could still be useful as a PLC source for Phantoms, e.g. when connected via Ethernet to a a Router. No additional cables to the Phantoms and a connection that would not put a load on WiFi. It did not work for everyone, I know. But for me it worked quite well. This however is something that could be easily included in DOS2.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
The Dialog added latency and never served the purpose it was meant for.
But the idea was good as it is possible to upgrade this part upon the demand with extra services embedded inside.
As usual Devialet changed its road map and the dialog became useless.
Please excuse my poor reputation
Hi all,

In context of this Thread, "Dialog useful/not useful anymore?"...for a while I've been planning to change my setup around my (near future) house refurb and on the back of that to buy a new Samsung 4k (with theirs OneConnect HUB's). My idea was to go full minimalistic regarding cables :-) ...on the TV room only have the TV attached to the wall(connected through the wall via fibre to the OneConnect Hub in a cabinet ~5m away) and the two Phantom Gold only connect to the mains (and maybe Ethernet in case of wireless stability issues). Inside the cabinet I would connect the TV/HUB via optical to the Dialog, with everything else connected to the hub, streaming box, HTPC, etc...now with DOS2 is there a way to achieve this without the Dialog? Basically I don't want to have a Toslink cable coming out of the TV into the back of Phantom in my TV room.... :-)

On a side note, for the owners of Dialog's, did they ever made use of the USB connection in the router? Is it possible to connect a music source to that?

Many thanks everyone.
(22-Nov-2019, 11:49)rsemedo Wrote: Hi all,

In context of this Thread, "Dialog useful/not useful anymore?"...for a while I've been planning to change my setup around my (near future) house refurb and on the back of that to buy a new Samsung 4k (with theirs OneConnect HUB's). My idea was to go full minimalistic regarding cables :-) ...on the TV room only have the TV attached to the wall(connected through the wall via fibre to the OneConnect Hub in a cabinet ~5m away) and the two Phantom Gold only connect to the mains (and maybe Ethernet in case of wireless stability issues). Inside the cabinet I would connect the TV/HUB via optical to the Dialog, with everything else connected to the hub, streaming box, HTPC, etc...now with DOS2 is there a way to achieve this without the Dialog? Basically I don't want to have a Toslink cable coming out of the TV into the back of Phantom in my TV room.... :-)

On a side note, for the owners of Dialog's, did they ever made use of the USB connection in the router? Is it possible to connect a music source to that?

Many thanks everyone.
I believe you'll need a Dialog to achieve that. You could buy an used one, the price has plummeted after DOS2. The USB port is for diagnostics only.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage