Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your volume level
Hi,
i just purchased and received a D200 2nd hand off audiogon.
i've hooked up a Proac 115 (89db) and KEF LS50 (85db)...it's superb sounding and quiet as night (no hissing) but am having some concerns about the volume level i need to turn up.
the default is -40db which i can hardly hear anything off (very soft), only up to -20db before it becomes clearly audible (but not enjoyable volume).
however, for normal i.e. good, moderately loud sound, i have to turn it on to approx -12 to -6db, sometimes -4db. room is rather small 4m X 5m.

i read the threads here and it vaguely seems some of you guys are playing at -20db as a norm.
just wanna give a shoutout to see what the general "norm" is.
a littly worrying as my speakers aren't exactly low sensitivity but i have to play it at much louder levels.

on a side note, the configurator speaker config has a slider to push from -15 to 15. i left that at 0.

thnx!
When the neighbours are out I crank it up to -18db
When they are in -25db
Whilst working so like as a background music -30db
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Normal listening at around -25db to -15db
Loud playing never past -5db
Waiting for newyearseve to blast it to the max I can take.
That will be around +10db I guess.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Before I started using Dirac, -45 was reasonable evening listening levels, and -35 was loud. In fact I reduced the startup volume.
With Dirac I'm about -40 -30 region but still experimenting with the Dirac attenuation.

But I sit fairly close and have sensitive speakers and by all accounts sensitive hearing.

I believe my listening numbers are low compared to other forum members…

Dont know either of those speakers, but did you set it up from scratch with a new config? The output power can be reduced in the Configurator, although most people dont seem to bother, its worth checking.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

A lot depends on how well damped (naturally) or treated the room is. 12 to -6db, depending on room / speakers does not sound outrageous to me.
@Hifi_swlon: my power is set at 200, i didnt lower it.

@confused: yeah, hopefully. I hope my unit isn't faulty or anything like that. i.e. problems with power.
My C1's are 86 dB sensitive and I crank it up to -6 and beyond at times. Other days -15 will do me. It all depends on what I'm playing. If you're thinking there might be something wrong with yours I think you'll be ok.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Is the volume level dependent on the efficiency of the speaker?
Noticed my volume levels way below anyone else.....and i really dont think it is quiet. I mean at the -18db setting it is loud!!
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
-10 to -15 for me. Sometimes up to +5 with quieter classical.
-40 dB for night-time/background listening, -30 normally, and -20 or so for "loud". I've never needed to go above about -15 dB.

I don't think my speakers are particularly efficient (86 dB/W at 1m, if I remember right) but my room is not large (about 4 x 6 m).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK