Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What secondary amplifiers do you use?
Hi all! I'm curious for those who have used the PRE OUT option on their Devialets, what external amps are you using in combination with your Dev?

And are you using the Dev as a Preamp/Streamer/DAC only or are you bi-amping with the external amp? And do you feel the external amp is needed above and beyond what the Dev's amplifier can already do?

Thanks!
I use my Devialet in conjunction with a Denon AVR 6400 obviously for surround sound. The Devialet drive the front B&W 803 D3s.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
I use a DPrem as front end with Pass Labs xa 30.5.
Sounds really good.
Of Sonus Faber Olympica3.
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
And I think it shades the DPrem slightly. Not by a huge margin.
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
(07-Jun-2020, 09:21)Gerronwithit Wrote: I use my Devialet in conjunction with a Denon AVR 6400 obviously for surround sound. The Devialet drive the front B&W 803 D3s.

Also in a hybrid configuration Hifi & HC with a D440 and a NAD T777 V3. Very satisfied with the combination, and particularly impressed by Dirac (Room EQ integrated to the NAD T777) for a stereo or multi channel listening...
Hmmm, interesting. Previously I had not given this any thought. I am currently rebuilding a 2A3 Parallel Single Ended Valve amp. When it is finished, it’ll be interesting to use it with the D250 as a pre feed.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
georgev, you were the inspiration that got me into thinking about this. I was mainly wanting to experiment with configurations. Using my D220 as a pre only. Using it to drive the High speaker inputs on my Olympica IIIs (like yours) and another amp to drive the Low speaker inputs. Or swapping the configuration with another amp that has good synergy with the Olympicas in a bi-amped configuration.

The final option is essentially getting another D220 and monoblocking them to drive each speaker.

-dave
I do use the Devialet to drive the front speakers of a HT system with one input configured as pass through, but that is the opposite of what you mean I suppose.
Personally I wouldn't see any advantage in using a different power amp in my system since I am not looking to add colouration and I find the Devialet both plenty powerful enough for my speakers and audibly transparent.
I have used a Job Pre/225 whilst my Devialets have been away in France to be updated, and they are fine, I most missed the rotary volume control on the remote Smile
Valve amps fall over partially (push/pull) or totally (SET) trying to drive my speakers.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

This is a great question and I have tried this many times with using the Devialet's pre-outs to run another amp. I have used a Rotel RB1590, a heavily modified Ming Da MC34-AB valve amp and 2no. Musical fidelity XA200 monoblocks. MY opinion below on each power amp versus just using the devialet itself:

Rotel RB 1590: Gives much more prominent bass than the devialet does, I wouldn't say it's deeper but it's more of the sound signature than with the devialet therefore come across as a warmer sound. It does lack the pin point imaging I get with Devialet's on it's own though.

Ming-Da: Wonderful fleshed out sound in comparison to the Devialet, it has the classic warmth of valves and richness to the sound that the Devialet just doesn't have and fills the room with music. BUT compared to the Devialet it doesn't place instruments or voices in a soundstage it just gives you all of it at once. A very pleasant sound.

Musical Fidelity mono's: This combo doesn't seem to work, fairly lifeless sound all round.

I think generally speaking for laser sharp imaging and detail the Devialet on it's own can't be touched but for fleshed out "warm" sound other amps can best it and the above are a lot of fun to try out.
Devialet 220 pro, Monitor Audio PL500 II