Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What were your previous systems (prior to the Phantoms)?
Hi all,
Over the past few days, I've really started considering the Phantom as a serious contender for my home audio setup - was initially planning on probably around 2500USD - but if I have to get a stereo system out of the Phantoms - I'm looking at approx 4300USD (for the Whites). Waiting for deliveries to commence in the US - and demo systems to arrive in dealerships (heard they'll be arriving mid next month).

For those of you that have bought the Phantom - what are your present setups (speakers/ receivers)? Have any of you replaced your tower/ floor standing setups with these?
It'd be great for those of us on the fence to get some perspective from you guys who've already bought the Phantoms on how they measure up to your old systems/ other systems you've been trying out.

Also, around the following areas, how do you find the Phantom to perform (5 - at par with expectations, 0 - much worse than expectations, 10 - much better than expectations):
a. Soundstage
b. Clarity
c. Timbre (e.g. depth of sound - accoustic guitar/ organ timbre, voice trails, that kind of thing)
d. Dynamism
e. Musical presence @ low volume
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro
ATC 50A SLs active monitors apparently much liked by many recording studios and artists.

To put into context,  I had owned these since 1994 with three ATC upgrades over the years that improved bass, mid and tweeters.  They now have new owners.

In my case, it's all about the range and quality of the bass.

Having started using EQ and discovering 'hidden' bass that transformed most music and films,  I have, within money and time constraints, searched for the best mix for my own taste.
I never really found this with the ATCs and a REL sub and I baulked at the idea of trying multiple subs etc. etc.
My listening space, 5m x 3.5m, is not dedicated and I am limited to speaker positioning.

However, the Phantoms have provided the solution and deliver all that I require for bass, without the need for a sub!, together with mids and highs that better the ATCs.

The following scores reflect my comparison of Silver Phantoms against the ATCs via Phantom optical, as per the OPs request

4 Soundstage nb - still to determine the best speaker position
8 Clarity
8 Timbre
9 Dynamism
7 low volume musical presentation nb - not something I do often  Big Grin

Caveat - I have used EQ the past few years and continue to do so.  The Phantom bass is considerably controlled to suit my taste and to a lesser degree the mids.
(18-Jul-2015, 12:33)alandbush Wrote: ATC 50A SLs active monitors apparently much liked by many recording studios and artists.

To put into context,  I had owned these since 1994 with three ATC upgrades over the years that improved bass, mid and tweeters.  They now have new owners.

Having started using EQ and discovering 'hidden' bass that transformed most music and films,  I have, within money and time constraints, searched for the best mix for my own taste.
I never really found this with the ATCs and a REL sub and I baulked at the idea of trying multiple subs etc. etc.
My listening space, 5m x 3.5m, is not dedicated and I am limited to speaker positioning.

However, the Phantoms have provided the solution and deliver all that I require for bass, without the need for a sub!, together with mids and highs that better the ATCs.

The following scores reflect my comparison of Silver Phantoms against the ATCs via Phantom optical, as per the OPs request

8 Clarity
8 Timbre
9 Dynamism

Caveat - I have used EQ the past few years and continue to do so.  The Phantom bass is considerably controlled to suit my taste and to a lesser degree the mids.

Its a good job you didn't post this on Pink Fish certain people would be calling for your head on a stake Big Grin
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(18-Jul-2015, 14:26)NickB Wrote: Its a good job you didn't post this on Pink Fish certain people would be calling for your head on a stake Big Grin

Thanks for the heads up, but I covered a number of things in the post, so how many buttons did I press?

Perhaps I should add more context and probably ammunition for budding Pink Fishers.  Smile

I am rapidly reaching 60 years of age, so my hearing is undoubtedly shot.  Certainly not pitch perfect.  Sad
Both eyes have required cataract surgery and were never ever near 20/20.  Cool
Definitely losing brain cells by the thousand (millions?), so unable to apply common-sense.  Huh

I worried how to move the ATCs somewhere safe for decorating purposes.  I can, at the moment, easily move the Phantoms.

All in all then, I am sure someone could suggest that I haven't a clue.  Angel
I had B&W 803 Diamonds -£5000 ex-demo from a Hi-Fi dealer
2*500 Music Fidelity mono blocks £2000
1* Rel Britannia sub - £1200
1* Primare receiver - £2000

Total - £10200

All above sold.

My current system comprises of 3 Silver Phantoms - no comparison. The Phantoms are in a different league by a very large magnitude. I would never go back to a conventional system.
(18-Jul-2015, 19:12)stonedragon Wrote: I had B&W 803 Diamonds -£5000 ex-demo from a Hi-Fi dealer

Total - £10200

All above sold.

My current system comprises of 3 Silver Phantoms - no comparison. The Phantoms are in a different league by a very large magnitude. I would never go back to a conventional system.

How do you use the '3rd' phantom?
You came from a stereo set up - how do you use 3 phantoms?
Thanks,
(18-Jul-2015, 12:33)alandbush Wrote: ATC 50A SLs active monitors apparently much liked by many recording studios and artists.

8 Clarity
8 Timbre
9 Dynamism

Sweet!! - ATC50 - I've heard (read/ heard from other people - not actually "heard") that they're brilliant at being neutral and produce the most incredible clarity ... To know that you're moving from the ATCs to the Phantom is amazing! I was wondering about the soundstage - that's the one thing that I felt reading through multiple forums & reviews where I found comments saying that the Phantom is playing catch up. I play a lot of rock, metal and live concert music - and would really love to feel immersed into the sound .. 

To be honest, I was looking at getting meself a pair of Klipsch Reference Premiere RF 280fs and their 12" sub-woof + a 1000-1500$ range receiver ... that'd set me back around 3300$ ... but, the Phantoms sound like they're packing the punch with a completely different bracket of speaker quality/ price ... can't wait to hear a demo next month!
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro
(18-Jul-2015, 18:38)alandbush Wrote:
(18-Jul-2015, 14:26)NickB Wrote: Its a good job you didn't post this on Pink Fish certain people would be calling for your head on a stake Big Grin

Thanks for the heads up, but I covered a number of things in the post, so how many buttons did I press?

Perhaps I should add more context and probably ammunition for budding Pink Fishers.  Smile

I am rapidly reaching 60 years of age, so my hearing is undoubtedly shot.  Certainly not pitch perfect.  Sad
Both eyes have required cataract surgery and were never ever near 20/20.  Cool
Definitely losing brain cells by the thousand (millions?), so unable to apply common-sense.  Huh

I worried how to move the ATCs somewhere safe for decorating purposes.  I can, at the moment, easily move the Phantoms.

All in all then, I am sure someone could suggest that I haven't a clue.  Angel

The mere fact that you are moving away from ATC to any other brand is tantamount to heresy on that site.

One of the members hear moved from (I think) 4 x Active ATC 150 plus dual subs to BW 802 and Devialet 200 and said it sounded much better, the harrumphing from Pink Fish could be heard by the New Horizons probe. So you going from active ATC 50 to these "toy speakers" would liven up things Wink
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(18-Jul-2015, 19:56)Mr_Bill Wrote:
(18-Jul-2015, 19:12)stonedragon Wrote: I had B&W 803 Diamonds -£5000 ex-demo from a Hi-Fi dealer

Total - £10200

All above sold.

Thanks,

The third one is used for cinema purposes. OMG, the sound stage and depth when playing movies is phenomenal. At about 45/50 is the upper practical limit. When all three are singing, it produces a wall of sound. In some cases it even becomes to much for me. There is a light and day difference between them and the B&Ws. The only thing missing is the rear sound. Apart from that nothing but praise. Big Grin Big Grin
(19-Jul-2015, 10:48)stonedragon Wrote:
(18-Jul-2015, 19:56)Mr_Bill Wrote:

Total - £10200

All above sold.

Thanks,

The third one is used for cinema purposes. OMG, the sound stage and depth when playing movies is phenomenal. At about 45/50 is the upper practical limit. When all three are singing, it produces a wall of sound. In some cases it even becomes to much for me. There is  a light and day difference between them and the B&Ws. The only thing missing is the rear sound. Apart from that nothing but praise. Big Grin  Big Grin

How do you have the 3rd setup?  
1) all through the Dialog?
2) Placed the 3rd Phantom 'behind' your seating for home theater?
3) How do you control the 3rd Phantom's sound (I assume keeping it 'lower' than the front 2?
4) I'm still waiting for my 2 to be shipped and looking forward to Devialet's home theater solution (any ideas?)
'cheers