Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will a streamer add?
(04-Jun-2015, 13:19)drdkey Wrote: I have a D250 that I originally had connected to the Moon MIND but the app was cumbersome and unreliable.I have abandoned the MIND. I went with the streamer originally on the advice of my audio dealer. I then tried AIR and found it too unreliable and frustrating although the sound quality was amazing. I have since gone with a mac mini/ separate HD using a Belkin Gold USB cable to connect to the D250. I blind tested the sound using Belkin Gold versus AQ Carbon vs Nordost Blue Heaven. I had several friends over with high end audio systems and they all picked the sound with the Belkin Gold USB. I was shocked at the difference in the interconnects sound quality. I have Magico V2 speakers and I am very happy with the SQ in my set up versus AIR.  I went with the mac mini as I was looking for sound quality but also cataloging of music and the easy functionality of the iTunes interface.

So how does the sound quality of a Mac mini via USB compare to AIR Ethernet?
(02-Jun-2015, 20:51)Foggy916 Wrote: I'll add my 2 cents here. Have a aurender n100 fully broken in with Wireworld Starlight platinum usb. Was hoping it would replace my 2009 Mac Mini with custom power supply and its fully optimized for audio. Mini is using air ethernet with AQ cinnamon Ethernet cable.

My hopes were to improve usability and have more convenience then running my Mac Mini headless. Sounded great but was just tired of the bugs and day to day headaches of just getting it fired up to play music. Was also hoping that getting a streamer would not only improve the day to day functionality but also improve upon the sound.

First off, the user interface of the Aurender is way better than the Mac solution. So easy to get music playing and the iPad app is amazing. Absolutely love it.

However, here is the problem. The Aurender clearly is more laid back with regards to sound quality. It's great but I'm definitely giving up detail, separation, and soundstage. It's great to walk in the room and have music playing within seconds from my NAS or Tidal. But if I want to sit down for some critical listening, the Mac Mini is better. This could be system dependent but just wanted to share my experience.

I have an Aurender X100, coming from a Mac Mini 2009 running with JRiver/JRemote. My experience is playing files from the internal HDD of the X100 which I find on par or better than the Mini set up. I find the X100 HDD playback more revealing than the Mini set up ( blacker background which means more details )

I dont use a NAS. As for streaming on the X100 with Tidal, the SQ is definitely not the best and is variable. Although Tidal claims all 16/44.1 playbak on the hifi set mode, I can hear compression (often) and even bad ripping (tics and even one cd that skips which means a bad rip over an unknown source). Therefore, Streaming is not part of my routine when I want to do serious listening. Streaming for background music is ok.

I'm not familiar with the N100. But the music that comes from the X100 HDD is irreprochable ( again depeding on the quality of the rip and cd it was taken from
Dedicated Mains >Crystal Standard Power Cables >Aurender X100L >Locus Design Essentia USB >D200 >Siltech 330L >Dynaudio C1 Signature
Montréal

Big Grin Big Grin For Me the sound of the Aurender S10 with the 200 is far more pleasent to The ears than the streaming solution via the Mac. Ease of use is in My opnion the best there is and with the Aurender connected via a Wireworld platinum XLR 110 Ohm digital cable the sound is relaxed in an analog way.
Aurender S10/ESP the Essence/Wireworld Platinum XLR/Devialet 200/Graditech Voima One/Jena Labs 15 bi-wired/ASW Magadis/IPad air 2.

The Netherlands
(04-Jun-2015, 18:30)Confused Wrote:
(04-Jun-2015, 13:19)drdkey Wrote: I have a D250 that I originally had connected to the Moon MIND but the app was cumbersome and unreliable.I have abandoned the MIND. I went with the streamer originally on the advice of my audio dealer. I then tried AIR and found it too unreliable and frustrating although the sound quality was amazing. I have since gone with a mac mini/ separate HD using a Belkin Gold USB cable to connect to the D250. I blind tested the sound using Belkin Gold versus AQ Carbon vs Nordost Blue Heaven. I had several friends over with high end audio systems and they all picked the sound with the Belkin Gold USB. I was shocked at the difference in the interconnects sound quality. I have Magico V2 speakers and I am very happy with the SQ in my set up versus AIR.  I went with the mac mini as I was looking for sound quality but also cataloging of music and the easy functionality of the iTunes interface.

So how does the sound quality of a Mac mini via USB compare to AIR Ethernet?

When you listen to Norah Jones " Come Away with Me" ,in Hi Res 192, you can hear the pedal on the piano move against the velvet and as she sings you can hear her tongue move off the roof of her mouth. The soundstage is perfect and it may just be the quality of this recording but it fills the room and gives you the sense that you are hearing a live performance right in front of you. The ease of use of running everything from my iPad is irreplaceable.
I can get the same quality with Air Ethernet but it can be buggy and has music dead space(the music just stops) at the most inopportune times. I don't get this with the USB connection which is always reliable.
(04-Jun-2015, 22:34)Yippedidou Wrote:
(02-Jun-2015, 20:51)Foggy916 Wrote: I'll add my 2 cents here. Have a aurender n100 fully broken in with Wireworld Starlight platinum usb. Was hoping it would replace my 2009 Mac Mini with custom power supply and its fully optimized for audio. Mini is using air ethernet with AQ cinnamon Ethernet cable.

My hopes were to improve usability and have more convenience then running my Mac Mini headless. Sounded great but was just tired of the bugs and day to day headaches of just getting it fired up to play music. Was also hoping that getting a streamer would not only improve the day to day functionality but also improve upon the sound.

First off, the user interface of the Aurender is way better than the Mac solution. So easy to get music playing and the iPad app is amazing. Absolutely love it.

However, here is the problem. The Aurender clearly is more laid back with regards to sound quality. It's great but I'm definitely giving up detail, separation, and soundstage. It's great to walk in the room and have music playing within seconds from my NAS or Tidal. But if I want to sit down for some critical listening, the Mac Mini is better. This could be system dependent but just wanted to share my experience.

I have an Aurender X100, coming from a Mac Mini 2009 running with JRiver/JRemote. My experience is playing files from the internal HDD of the X100 which I find on par or better than the Mini set up. I find the X100 HDD playback more revealing than the Mini set up ( blacker background which means more details )

I dont use a NAS. As for streaming on the X100 with Tidal, the SQ is definitely not the best and is variable. Although Tidal claims all 16/44.1 playbak on the hifi set mode, I can hear compression (often) and even bad ripping (tics and even one cd that skips which means a bad rip over an unknown source). Therefore, Streaming is not part of my routine when I want to do serious listening. Streaming for background music is ok.

I'm not familiar with the N100. But the music that comes from the X100 HDD is irreprochable ( again depeding on the quality of the rip and cd it was taken from

Actually, I believe the difference is not because of Mac vs Aurender but more of Air Ethernet vs USB. When I use USB on both Aurender and Mac, I get very similar results and probably give the edge to the Aurender. However, when I use the Devialet remote app and quickly switch the inputs back and forth of USB vs Air Ethernet, I notice that there is definitely an improvement with Air Ethernet coming from the Mac vs the USB from Aurender. Just frustrated because I love the convenience of the Aurender. Would be nice if Air Ethernet would be available with the Aurender.

Also agree on the SQ with Tidal. It's disappointing but I use it mostly for background music and discovering new artists.
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
Devialet 400 Air Ethernet
Roon Nucleus w custom power supply
QNAP NAS
PS Audio P3 Powerplant and Powerbase
Furutech GTX_D Outlet on dedicated line
JPS Labs Kaptovators to the wall

I recently got an Aurender N100H and I'm thrilled.. Big improvement over my Auralic Aries which I'm told out performs a Mini. So two questions, maybe it'll help. You are using the Audio Output USB? I messed up when I got mine and just was using one of the two data USB Ports by accident. Big difference in SQ there. Also are you using a good power cord on the Aurender? I found that made a nice difference too . And I'd suggest "trying" a different USB cable.. I also have a series 7 platinum USB cable and like but I think it can be a bit on the soft side.. I'd try an Audioquest Diamond.. not bright but a little faster sounding, it might match up better..
(11-Jun-2015, 03:34)ErikM Wrote:

I recently got an Aurender N100H and I'm thrilled.. Big improvement over my Auralic Aries which I'm told out performs a Mini. So two questions, maybe it'll help. You are using the Audio Output USB? I messed up when I got mine and just was using one of the two data USB Ports by accident. Big difference in SQ there. Also are you using a good power cord on the Aurender? I found that made a nice difference too . And I'd suggest "trying" a different USB cable.. I also have a series 7 platinum USB cable and like but I think it can be a bit on the soft side.. I'd try an Audioquest Diamond.. not bright but a little faster sounding, it might match up better..
Sorry for the late response. Yes, I tried various usb and power cables. Subtle differences but nowhere the improvement as to when I switched over to Mac mini with air Ethernet. My 10 year old son and my wife both noticed the improved sound quality and picked the Mac when doing a blind test. Aurender has been sold and I'm enjoying the Mac over air and picked up the new MacBook to use as my controller for the Mac mini. Happy camper.
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
QNAP NAS

(11-Jun-2015, 03:34)ErikM Wrote:

Sorry for the late response. Yes, I tried various usb and power cables. Subtle differences but nowhere the improvement as to when I switched over to Mac mini with air Ethernet. My 10 year old son and my wife both noticed the improved sound quality and picked the Mac when doing a blind test. Aurender has been sold and I'm enjoying the Mac over air and picked up the new MacBook to use as my controller for the Mac mini. Happy camper.
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
QNAP NAS

(24-Mar-2015, 19:16)samurai7595 Wrote: Having gone through a few streamers myself, I would suggest that besides auditioning before buying (for sound qulaity) have a serious & careful look at the different control points/apps.

When I had my Linn Akurate DS digital player, I did not like the Kinsky app and on 2 occassions, when I tried to upgrade the firmware on the unit, it would fail and it took weeks to get it working again.

Then, I tried a friend's Moon MiND unit and did not like the Moon app.  My buddy also found it very unreliable.

Now, I have the Bryston BDP-2 digital player and the MPaD app has been working flawlessly on my iPad Mini.

If I were ever to upgrade, the Aurender X100L would be at the top of my list!  I'll be auditioning one this coming weekend for curiousity.

The Sony HAPZ1ES also has a very nice app (only tried it very briefly) but unfortunately, it does not offer digital outputs.

This is likely very old news by now, but the latest firmware update of the HAP-Z1ES lets you output a digital stream via the USB port.  I'm doing that now.
Sorry for the open question: anyone care to lend any personal experience / advice about streamer choice in 2021?
I am after something to pull in Internet from my home network and stream Qobuz or Tidal to my Devialet (the incredible 1000s)
Ability to connect to an outboard USB drive would be good 4/10
CD player would be good 3/10
Onboard memory / storage would be good 5/10
I quite like the idea of "memory play" ?5/10
Excellent sonics are there MAJOR driver 9/10 ( of course!)
Anyone used anything great lately? I have a couple thousand to play with...
(TOTALLY the other way- am considering building a Pi2AES!!- any experience??)
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.