Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Devialet devices support Roon ?
Hi, 

I am new to Devialet in a sense that I am still considering buying one. I am familiar with basics and know the different models and have heard Devialet D1000 Expert Pro near my local hifi dealer with big B&W speakers and AudioQuest power conditioning. Absolutely stunning. 

I currently have Hegel H160 and speakers are PMC Twenty5.26 both of which I love. But there is another hifi dealer that has used Devialet two models that I could perhaps get a home demo, Devialet D220 Expert Pro with Core Infinity and older Devialet D440 Expert Pro. 

PMC loves to be driven hard and I quess both of these models have SAM which I would like to have but is Core Infinity necessary for Roon if I have a separate Roon Core installed on NAS on the same network ? 

I read that firmware version 13.x is Roon Ready, but what does that actually mean for those devices ? Does it mean that Devialet can act as a Roon Ready rendeder without the Core Infinity ? I could just then leave the streaming to the very capable NAS configuration I already have and perhaps get the 440 Pro with more control for the PMCConfused. Also Hegel amps seem drive a lot of speakers with nice punchy dynamics, I wonder how D220 Expert Pro and D440 Expert Pro will compare on that regard. 

I rememer that on demo room the Devialet D1000 Expert Pro had very detailed but easy to listen natural sound but the much cheaper Hegel H360 they had there used had more dynamics even though it could match the Devialet on detail and soundstage and overall refinement. 

Any comments on helping me to choose a good model ?
There are several ways to use Roon with a Devialet Expert amp.

First of all, in any case, you will need a computer to run the Roon Core - this can be a PC or Mac.  Don't be confused by the word "Core" in Devialet's "Core Infinity" moniker, because that has nothing to do with the Roon Core.

Once you have a computer running the Roon Core software you can choose one of several methods to stream output from Roon to an Expert series amp.  For example:

1) USB
2) Devialet's AIR streaming protocol
3) Roon's RAAT streaming protocol
4) Apple Airplay

The USB option works with any Expert model, Pro or otherwise, with or without Core Infinity.

The Apple Airplay option requires an Expert Pro model with Core Infinity.

This is where it starts getting a little complicated...apart from wired or wireless, there are two different methods for using AIR.

The "old school" approach uses Devialet's AIR driver software on a computer (PC or Mac), which works by creating a "virtual sound card" that Roon can output to.  This virtual sound card then sends the audio data over the network to the Expert amp.  As well as streaming via Roon, this supports other desktop music players such as Qobuz, Audirvana, to pick a couple at random.

The newer approach uses Roon's built-in AIR driver.  In this case you don't need to install Devialet's AIR driver on your computer, because Roon can output directly to the Expert using the same AIR network protocol.  There is no virtual sound card visible on the computer, so no audio players apart from Roon can used this method to talk to the Expert.

AIR is supported by any Expert model with a network card installed - in effect, all of them.  Despite its name, it works over wired Ethernet and wi-fi.

(Only) Expert Pros fitted with the Core Infinity board and running the current 13.x firmware support the Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT) streaming protocol; this is essentially what the "Roon Ready' terminology means.  In this case Roon sends the audio data direct to the Expert over the network, but uses its own in-house streaming protocol (RAAT) rather than Devialet's in-house protocol (that is, AIR).

One very useful - and not always obvious - benefit of using either Roon's implementation of AIR, or RAAT, is that one can remotely turn the amp on and off and control its volume using the Roon UI.

To answer one of your specific questions: if you have the Roon Core running on a NAS, I think you should be able to use Roon's AIR driver to stream to an Expert that doesn't have the Core Infinity board fitted.  (My hestitation is that I've not used Roon Core on a NAS and can't be 100% confident that it's the same build as what would run on a more general-purpose computer.)

To throw another variable into the mix, it is probably still possible to upgrade the 440 Pro with Core Infinity boards.  I may be wrong, but I recall that the cost of the upgrade to Core Infinity was factored into the price of the Pro models so the upgrade might perhaps still be free of charge.  Maybe you could get your dealer to look into that.  (Or if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.)

In the meantime, I'd choose the Expert model based on what you think sounds better driving your speakers in your room, because whichever you choose I'm sure there will be a way to use it together with Roon.

I hope that's helfpul and reduces rather than adds to the confusion...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(02-Jul-2019, 16:30)The thumb5 Wrote: There are several ways to use Roon with a Devialet Expert amp.

First of all, in any case, you will need a computer to run the Roon Core - this can be a PC or Mac.  Don't be confused by the word "Core" in Devialet's "Core Infinity" moniker, because that has nothing to do with the Roon Core.

Once you have a computer running the Roon Core software you can choose one of several methods to stream output from Roon to an Expert series amp.  For example:

1) USB
4) Apple Airplay

The USB option works with any Expert model, Pro or otherwise, with or without Core Infinity.

This is where it starts getting a little complicated...apart from wired or wireless, there are two different methods for using AIR.

The "old school" approach uses Devialet's AIR driver software on a computer (PC or Mac), which works by creating a "virtual sound card" that Roon can output to.  This virtual sound card then sends the audio data over the network to the Expert amp.  As well as streaming via Roon, this supports other desktop music players such as Qobuz, Audirvana, to pick a couple at random.

The newer approach uses Roon's built-in AIR driver.  In this case you don't need to install Devialet's AIR driver on your computer, because Roon can output directly to the Expert using the same AIR network protocol.  There is no virtual sound card visible on the computer, so no audio players apart from Roon can used this method to talk to the Expert.

AIR is supported by any Expert model with a network card installed - in effect, all of them.  Despite its name, it works over wired Ethernet and wi-fi.

(Only) Expert Pros fitted with the Core Infinity board and running the current 13.x firmware support the Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT) streaming protocol; this is essentially what the "Roon Ready' terminology means.  In this case Roon sends the audio data direct to the Expert over the network, but uses its own in-house streaming protocol (RAAT) rather than Devialet's in-house protocol (that is, AIR).

One very useful - and not always obvious - benefit of using either Roon's implementation of AIR, or RAAT, is that one can remotely turn the amp on and off and control its volume using the Roon UI.

To answer one of your specific questions: if you have the Roon Core running on a NAS, I think you should be able to use Roon's AIR driver to stream to an Expert that doesn't have the Core Infinity board fitted.  (My hestitation is that I've not used Roon Core on a NAS and can't be 100% confident that it's the same build as what would run on a more general-purpose computer.)

To throw another variable into the mix, it is probably still possible to upgrade the 440 Pro with Core Infinity boards.  I may be wrong, but I recall that the cost of the upgrade to Core Infinity was factored into the price of the Pro models so the upgrade might perhaps still be free of charge.  Maybe you could get your dealer to look into that.  (Or if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.)

In the meantime, I'd choose the Expert model based on what you think sounds better driving your speakers in your room, because whichever you choose I'm sure there will be a way to use it together with Roon.

^___ Exactly!

Including the fact that yes every pro not having its core infinity card fitted yet is entitled a free of charge upgrade. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(02-Jul-2019, 16:30)thumb5 Wrote: There are several ways to use Roon with a Devialet Expert amp.

1) USB
4) Apple Airplay

This cleared many things to me, thank you so much! And the fact that Expert Pro can have Core Infinity as an upgrade really just makes this a selection to match the speaker requirements. SAM I think is a must have and I guess you have to have an Expert Pro for that and older models are a no go. I have read that Expert Pro is sounding better also, but this are just what I remember from reading somewhere without having first hand experience. I was interested in Devialet originally a few years back, but only after the demo at the dealer really got interested in buying one. Using the Devialet with a powerful NAS would be interesting also since I also like listening vinyl records. I could then RIP records to hires flacs, have plenty of high performance storage and automated backups. I have been using a NAS for many years and do not require a HTPC or PC/MAC connected anymore. I am currently tuning up my new more powerful NAS that I could use as a Roon Core also.

The quality of the RIAA is very interesting thing to try. I currently have a modded EAR 834P with NOS tubes and it has it's own thing going and plays really nicely. It would be interesting to hear how Devialet performs with it's own RIAA. I could of course keep the EAR if I like it and still RIP the analog input I guess. But having the possibility to RIP vinyls and streamt them back is marvelous. It could open a possibility to hunt some rare vinyls and trade them if the price is right and keeping the ripped versions for listening which I guess is legal thing to do.

I like how at Devialet their doing their own thing, I think it could be great if can have it working with a powerful NAS and just control everything with an iPad and would be a great complement to build a system like that to appreciate the innovative thinking behind the product. Having to use the remote for volume isn't that big deal at first at least. It's quite aa piece to operate.
I would agree with all that's been said so far. I started with a D200, replaced it with a Pro 220 when the Expert Pros were released and then added a 2nd 220 to make it a 440 Pro. I then had Devialet upgrade them both to add the CI free of charge when they started that problem (which I believe they do still support as mentioned above). You'll definitely want to do that to stay current with Devialet and to be able to use the latest firmware and therefore Roon RAAT.

If you're still spinning vinyl, you'll also want to give the Devialet's phono section a try. I was quite impressed with just how good it sounded and how much control it provides in the config. But note, everything that goes thru your Devialet is converted to digital... it's all in how they designed the amps - and that includes the phono section. But it sounds so good that I just sold my phono pre with no regrets. Of course, Roon has spoiled me so I find myself spinning vinyl less and less lately.

FWIW, while the 220 Pro is pretty awesome in it's own right, but stepping up to dual mono with the 440 Pro definitely takes the sound quality to the next level. Tonally the same, but a far more effortless, highly muslcal presentation.

Good luck and let us know what you think - particularly compared to your Hegel.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA