Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whirring sound?
I already linked to the article on D's website explaining the noise, in the second post of this topic.

Quote:Although there are no moving parts inside a Devialet, you may hear in some cases an extremely soft noise in stand-by. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. It is caused by the vibration of some ferrite elements in the power supply. The level of this extremely low noise varies from unit to unit. Again, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(29-Nov-2014, 01:27)Antoine Wrote: I already linked to the article on D's website explaining the noise, in the second post of this topic.

Quote:Although there are no moving parts inside a Devialet, you may hear in some cases an extremely soft noise in stand-by. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. It is caused by the vibration of some ferrite elements in the power supply. The level of this extremely low noise varies from unit to unit. Again, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Devialets statement is wrong in two points:
1. The noise is not extremely low (you might say low, but certainly not extremely if you can hear it from a distance)
2. It is not just in Standby, it is always

By the way, I went to a local dealer. My unit was just barely louder than an other 120, but significantly less noisy than a 200 that was also there. The dealer told me, that this is completely normal and there are variations, mine was about average.

I'm probably quite sensitive about such kind of noise. But it remains a mystery for me, that most people are tolerating this clearly noticeable noise while they are swapping cables, power cords with probably very little effect to the overall sound quality. But thats just my opinion Wink

So with a devialet you can't here any noise from the speakers, but it comes from the amp itself Undecided
Yes, I agree the 'noise' is also there when the unit's powered up. (I wrote this earlier as well).

Did you contact Devialet to ask for a workaround? Maybe these ferrites can be 'fixed in position' by using some dampening material, a glob of hot glue, silicone rubber (like sometimes used to seal in clocks on PCB's) or some sound dampening material over or in the shielding cover over the PSU?

Cables and most other tweaks work in different planes than this whirring noise could 'counteract' so I absolutely don't agree with your, somewhat cynical, view. Also, and I wrote this earlier, perhaps this soft whirring noise, gets drowned out in the ambient 'noise' of most peoples homes. My home for example (like most homes at least in The Netherlands) has a mechanical ventilation system so together with ambient noise from outside, neighbours etc. it's never really quieter than 36dB(SPL). I also have a plexiglass top cover over the Devialet and it itself rests on a (anti vibration) damping plate.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I've just my ear right up to to two units and can't hear a thing. Standby and on.

If only I had a stethoscope... Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(29-Nov-2014, 13:26)GuillaumeB Wrote: I've just my ear right up to to two units and can't hear a thing. Standby and on.

Guillaume

I can't hear a thing neither. Can we jump to the conclusion that the 'whirring sound' only exists in Devialet's cheap models? Tongue
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(29-Nov-2014, 13:26)GuillaumeB Wrote: I've just my ear right up to to two units and can't hear a thing. Standby and on.

Guillaume

You are very lucky! Enjoy it!

Indeed it's quiet in my home and yes, I was a little bit cynical, everyone should be doing what works best for them. The support person at Devialet already told me, that she contacted the engineers about this. So far I have heard nothing back. Dampening is not working though, I already tried that. And isolation of the power supply seems a bit dangerous to me, because of possible overheating.

(29-Nov-2014, 14:23)Charlemagne Wrote:

Guillaume

I can't hear a thing neither. Can we jump to the conclusion that the 'whirring sound' only exists in Devialet's cheap models? Tongue

not quite. in the showroom the 200 and a not yet upgraded d-premier was worse, but this is probably just a coincidence
Just keep stalking Devialet until they devise a solution! Smile I hope it'll get fixed for you, I can fully understand that this detracts from your listening pleasure.

The Netherlands
This may be the reason why some aftermarket feet under the D's help the sound a lot... That noise should be created by some vibration.

I currently use Stabilian Quattro to a great effect. (they do not have a website yet)

Photo attached. 3 under each D800, total 6.

There are ceramic balls between each plate, and the plates are Aircraft Grade Aluminum... They somehow allow the amp to "float" a bit. I am very happy with their addition despite the Pagode Master Reference rack they are already sitting on...

Cheers.

Kunter

Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Hello, do not know if it will contribute to some kind of understanding, but I have the original wall mount, it has o-rings between the plexiglass plate and the wall, I assmume it is done for vibration damping?

Kind regards, and have a great weekend

Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
(29-Nov-2014, 15:18)Kunter Wrote: This may be the reason why some aftermarket feet under the D's help the sound a lot... That noise should be created by some vibration.

I currently use Stabilian Quattro to a great effect. (they do not have a website yet)

Photo attached. 3 under each D800, total 6.

There are ceramic balls between each plate, and the plates are Aircraft Grade Aluminum... They somehow allow the amp to "float" a bit. I am very happy with their addition despite the Pagode Master Reference rack they are already sitting on...

Cheers.

Kunter

I use Black Ravioli; dismissed by many people as Foo, they do seem to make a difference, and I certainly don't having whirring noise.

If the problem is linked to vibration, then isolation would appear to be a sensible option. I think the type of rack is probably worth looking at too.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB