Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White noise generation - reasons? and how to stop it?
I have a Devialet Premier with which I've always been very happy except for one problem.

I am sourcing from a laptop running Foobar, through Devialet Air. 

Typically after about 90-120 minute playing "white noise" or something equivalent is generated with no apparent reason. 

I can switch off the Devialet and restart it after a few minutes and the problem goes away: I asked Devialet about this and only received a "...never heard about anything like this...." reply.

Have any other users experienced this? - if so, is there any way to stop it?: it is a damned nuisance if you're having a dinner part with Chopin or Satie playing gently and then everybody jumps up in their chairs as they're blasted with it...
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

You are not alone: this behaviour is discussed in several threads on the forum, for example: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Ethernet...on-Windows.

I am surprised, to say the least, that Devialet claim never to have heard about this problem.

If you consider it a serious-enough problem to warrant spending a bit of money on, using Roon to play music via its built-in driver for Devialet's AIR protocol seems to be a reliable work-around. In that case you wouldn't use Devialet's AIR software on Windows, and might want to uninstall it. Worth an experiment using the Roon trial, perhaps.

ETA: if I remember correctly, later versions of the AIR virtual sound-card driver for Windows did reduce the frequency at which the problem occurred. It might be worth checking that you have the latest version of AIR installed. Interestingly, I just checked and it seems that a new version (4.0) was released only a few days ago.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The White Noise bug drove me and many others mental. Devialet's reply "never heard about anything like this..." is atrocious.
They tried (if even) fixing this for 2 years.
Below this post you can see my foobar settings and AIR version that solved the problem for me. I haven't tested the new AIR 4.0 though, so you might wanna try that one first.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(13-Jul-2022, 11:04)Cylob Wrote: The White Noise bug drove me and many others mental. Devialet's reply "never heard about anything like this..." is atrocious.
They tried (if even) fixing this for 2 years.
Below this post you can see my foobar settings and AIR version that solved the problem for me. I haven't tested the new AIR 4.0 though, so you might wanna try that one first.

Thanks, Cylob - I'll give you proposal a try...

I must say, to defend Devialet a little, my original question to them went back to 2013 / 2014 and I haven't been back to them since...

I normally use WASAPI - push and I'll give you my impressions after downloading the newer AIR driver to the one I have at the moment...
A silly question: I use an old computer for my audio that is still running on Windows 7.

I've downloaded AIR 4.0 for Windows - which has overwritten my AIR 2.1.3 - but it doesn't seem to run: will it run on Windows 7 or do I need to be running a later version...?My son is trying to fix it!!