Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wifi concerns
Hi guys, just bought a silver to use up at our lake home and after reading some posts here I'm getting a bit concerned. We plan on using this outdoors for the beach, and our router would be approx 50' away inside our home. Using Spotify I'm worried about dropouts or limited connectivity with this thing. I used to have a Bose box with an iPad connected, then would simply use my phone to connect to tether to the iPad via Spotify without issues playing music on the fly. Are these units so touchy via wi-fi that I'll have constant connectivity issues, or do I need to invest in a wifi extender? Or is it necessary to buy that Dialog (I only have one silver)? Because there seem to be alot of posts calling it a nightmare with dropouts and half hour resets, which would be embarrassing with a beach full of dancing people!

Talk me down off the ledge, any advice is greatly appreciated!! Smile
I cannot be of much help regarding the use of a single Phantom and wifi or BT connectivity. This often depends on the number of other networks or connections in your surroundings.
In case you choose to purchase a Dialog and connect it on the same power line without protection surge your Phantom would be connected wired with the Dialog through the built-in PLC. This setup is most reliable. The Dialog through Spotify connect would act as streamer and be linked through ethernet to your router and do the streaming that you control with the Spotify app on your phone or iPad. Spotify is not hires and therefore has rather low bandwidth requirements. With me it always worked flawlessly. You will need to have a Spotify premium subscription to be able to use Spotify connect.
I think the cheapest solution would be buying a long Ethernet cable to connect your Phantom and router. I wouldn’t blame the Phantom though, 50 feet is pushing it for WiFi at all.
(25-Jun-2018, 15:51)BulldogsRus Wrote: Hi guys, just bought a silver to use up at our lake home and after reading some posts here I'm getting a bit concerned. We plan on using this outdoors for the beach, and our router would be approx 50' away inside our home. Using Spotify I'm worried about dropouts or limited connectivity with this thing. I used to have a Bose box with an iPad connected, then would simply use my phone to connect to tether to the iPad via Spotify without issues playing music on the fly. Are these units so touchy via wi-fi that I'll have constant connectivity issues, or do I need to invest in a wifi extender? Or is it necessary to buy that Dialog (I only have one silver)? Because there seem to be alot of posts calling it a nightmare with dropouts and half hour resets, which would be embarrassing with a beach full of dancing people!

With a single phantom you don't need it be connected to a network.  If I'm imagining you situation correctly, you can get uninterrupted sound by simply using a bluetooth connection to the phantom from your iPad and play the music from the iPad.  I've done something similar with my setup when I brought a single phantom to my office to show co-workers.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(27-Jun-2018, 11:52)njaiswal Wrote:
(25-Jun-2018, 15:51)BulldogsRus Wrote: Hi guys, just bought a silver to use up at our lake home and after reading some posts here I'm getting a bit concerned. We plan on using this outdoors for the beach, and our router would be approx 50' away inside our home. Using Spotify I'm worried about dropouts or limited connectivity with this thing. I used to have a Bose box with an iPad connected, then would simply use my phone to connect to tether to the iPad via Spotify without issues playing music on the fly. Are these units so touchy via wi-fi that I'll have constant connectivity issues, or do I need to invest in a wifi extender? Or is it necessary to buy that Dialog (I only have one silver)? Because there seem to be alot of posts calling it a nightmare with dropouts and half hour resets, which would be embarrassing with a beach full of dancing people!

With a single phantom you don't need it be connected to a network.  If I'm imagining you situation correctly, you can get uninterrupted sound by simply using a bluetooth connection to the phantom from your iPad and play the music from the iPad.  I've done something similar with my setup when I brought a single phantom to my office to show co-workers.
The only reason I mentioned wi-fi is that it seems many here question the quality of bluetooth audio.
To be honest, if you are going to use it like you describe, you can go with BT without worrying. ie. for the beach.