Poll: Do you think new expert line will be released this year?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
10.71%
6 10.71%
No
89.29%
50 89.29%
Total 56 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will there be a new expert line anytime soon?
(09-Mar-2016, 18:34)ozthepoz Wrote: It costs millions to develop new systems; the whole point of the expert line is that the EVO platform allows for significant software improvements.

Seems inconceivable to me that they would spent effort designing a new expert range.

It costs millions its true - but modern consumers do tend to buy things on features and DACs especially seem to be going the way of digital cameras and their megapixels. Sure, some will read forums and web reviews etc, and many will get a demo before making a final decision, but advertised features is definitely what brings new customers in these days.

Devialet is quite unique in terms of being a combined system, but looking at the buzzwords and ideas floating around for current gen DACs (and Amps that have DSP built-in), we've got things like; Native DSD128 and higher inputs, internal upsampling to DSD512 or even DSD1024, user selectable sampling filters, room correction, galvanically isolated inputs, different streaming protocols, full control via tablet apps, etc, etc I'm sure there are loads I've missed off. I'm not saying any of that by itself will make for better EQ, but it means buyers looking for those features (for whatever reason) will look elsewhere, and EVO updates will only go so far.

As with any other brand, to be seen to be actively 'top of their game' they do need to evolve the hardware as well as sort out the software side - add some features that the majority of customers want, and clear out all the bugs and things that don't work. I think people follow things like AIR, and see what features Devialet have added over the years by way of 'EVO updates', and if they don't see things being fixed, or Devialet adopting the latest trends, they may worry about how future-proof the all-in-one system is. I know I've definitely thought about it. Also, once something's been out a few years, people start thinking its going to get superseded and may wait for the next iteration anyway.

To my mind the Od'A wasn't really that much of a technological leap from the current Expert series, and seemed like a bit of an intermediate update - OK, there were a few hardware upgrades but it certainly didn't come across as revolutionary compared to the current line. I'm not in that market so can't really say, but Im actually surprised current 800 owners went for it - I know its better, but I would have personally waited for a complete refresh of the line (but then I do rarely upgrade to the next version unless it seems like a proper upgrade - I definitely skip iPhone models). I guess the allure of the 'limited addition' appealed, but I think they're going to have to do a bit more than a colour change and upgrades to a few key components to drag in the next several years worth of buyers.

But maybe not, time will tell…...

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(09-Mar-2016, 19:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote: To my mind the Od'A wasn't really that much of a technological leap from the current Expert series, and seemed like a bit of an intermediate update - OK, there were a few hardware upgrades but it certainly didn't come across as revolutionary compared to the current line.  I'm not in that market so can't really say, but Im actually surprised current 800 owners went for it - I know its better, but I would have personally waited for a complete refresh of the line (but then I do rarely upgrade to the next version unless it seems like  a proper upgrade  - I definitely skip iPhone models).  I guess the allure of the 'limited addition' appealed, but I think they're going to have to do a bit more than a colour change and upgrades to a few key components to drag in the next several years worth of buyers.

But maybe not, time will tell…...

On paper perhaps it does look like a minor update. However the sound quality has been significantly improved, it just sounds so much more natural and effortless in its presentation. It's almost like the timing of the system has been improved and the midrange has more flesh/body. The 800 was already a very accomplished affair, however this takes things to an altogether new level. From an ADH point of view this is a very significant update, and it's still not clear if these improvements will trickle down to the Expert range anytime soon. I think it's fair to say that Devialet have enough on their plate with the Phantom and other plans to get the ADH technology platform into everyday consumer items such as cars and televisions.

No it doesn't tick all the latest audiophile fad boxes but there are plenty of ways of benefiting from these developments via dedicated renderers and other souped up computers. 

Before committing to the OdA I did look at a number of other solutions and did actually evaluate a few other systems in my own setup. It was still much cheaper for me to sell my 800 and buy an OdA than go for another rival solution, even if some of the other systems were amazing! There is some fantastic stuff out there but boy is it expensive. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I agree with Guillaume - the sound is improved in terms of detail, of effortless power and of dimensionality.

To be fair I am at the end of the spectrum where technological improvements, in terms of input and output flexibility, don't interest me too much. If, at some point, the audio sector can develop a location recreation technology (e.g. you get to listen in the RFH or RAH or wherever) then for me that will be the next big thing.

Other forum members are suggesting a good rumour about Dialog becoming Expert compatible and if that solves the AIR issue, which still plagues many, then that's excellent. Otherwise Devialet will quite rightly devote time and effort to taking ADH and SAM into other areas - cars, televisions, phones - which will give them the rewards they deserve but which won't have been forthcoming from the tiny high end audio sector.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(10-Mar-2016, 16:18)IanG-UK Wrote: I agree with Guillaume - the sound is improved in terms of detail, of effortless power and of dimensionality.

To be fair I am at the end of the spectrum where technological improvements, in terms of input and output flexibility, don't interest me too much. If, at some point, the audio sector can develop a location recreation technology (e.g. you get to listen in the RFH or RAH or wherever) then for me that will be the next big thing.

Other forum members are suggesting a good rumour about Dialog becoming Expert compatible and if that solves the AIR issue, which still plagues many, then that's excellent. Otherwise Devialet will quite rightly devote time and effort to taking ADH and SAM into other areas - cars, televisions, phones - which will give them the rewards they deserve but which won't have been forthcoming from the tiny high end audio sector.
I also do agree with Ian and Guillaume above, taking in consideration the financial investment involved to make a major step up from a Deavialet solution (400, 800, Od'A) it is probably much more smart to invest first if not done yet in a clean power solution and better sources possible(including cables, usb cleaning...)to take the full advantage of what the Devialet Expert can offer, I do have experienced spectacular inprovement in my system by really taking care of each parts of my system starting right from the wall plug and up to the jumpers on my speakers. I am now convinced that getting a major step up when the Od'A will be home (Guillaume any update on delivery on your side?)would require probably a 2 or 3 times budget investment compare to my actual system.

F
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator