Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win8 Tablet Solved everything
(19-Apr-2015, 19:25)Mr_Bill Wrote:
(19-Apr-2015, 16:39)hk6230 Wrote: More than 4 hours of playback via AIR from my tablet, no issue whatsoever.

Hi,
I'm brand new and just got a Dev 200.
I am trying to figure out the whole Devialet AIR wifi.

I like your idea of streaming wifi direct from the Windows 8 Tablet or even and Ipad. Is their an advantage to one or the other? I will use Pandora, Tidal and possibly Rhapsody. I also have a library of my own music too.

Do I just download the Dev Air for the Windows 8 tablet?
How would I run the streaming on an Ipad if I don't keep my music files on the Ipad?  I use music services and want to stream those too - can I do that on an Ipad?

I currently have Devialet AIR downloaded on my windows 8 desktop in the other room but don't want to run back and forth.  Looking for a portable solution or portable control.

Any help is appreciated to get me sorted out.
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new D200

Of course you know by now that Devialet itself is not a streamer nor a player and for that you need a source.

Devialet Air is designed to make your computer see your Dxxx as a sound card and get whatever sound playing on your computer directed to the Dxxx.

Devialet Air works both on Windows and Mac and has two flavors (Ethernet and wifi) both has almost the same SQ as the whole idea about Air is to have a bit perfect transfer of the source music over the network to Devialet.

Now if your source is the computer then download and setup Air and whatever you play on your computer will play on your Devialet

It is not the same with iOS or Android app. The current Devialet app for these two platforms is very basic and is mostly limited to selecting the source on Devialet, controlling volume and building playlists on the fly from the music you have on your iOS or Android devices. The latter is so primitive that I never actually use it for music playback.

Here shines the beauty of using a windows tablet as you will be able to install Air on a window 8.1 tablet. And from the tablet stream locally stored music or music on NAS using third party player like Jriver, Media Monkey, etc... or from streaming services like Tidal, Qobuz, Deeper, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(19-Apr-2015, 20:04)amabrok Wrote:
(19-Apr-2015, 16:39)hk6230 Wrote: More than 4 hours of playback via AIR from my tablet, no issue whatsoever.

Hi,

I like your idea of streaming wifi direct from the Windows 8 Tablet or even and Ipad.  Is their an advantage to one or the other? I will use Pandora, Tidal and possibly Rhapsody.  I also have a library of my own music too.

How would I run the streaming on an Ipad if I don't keep my music files on the Ipad?  I use music services and want to stream those too - can I do that on an Ipad?

I currently have Devialet AIR downloaded on my windows 8 desktop in the other room but don't want to run back and forth.  Looking for a portable solution or portable control.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill

Of course you know by now that Devialet itself is not a streamer nor a player and for that you need a source.

Devialet Air is designed to make your computer see your Dxxx as a sound card and get whatever sound playing on your computer directed to the Dxxx.

Devialet Air works both on Windows and Mac and has two flavors (Ethernet and wifi) both has almost the same SQ as the whole idea about Air is to have a bit perfect transfer of the source music over the network to Devialet.

Now if your source is the computer then download and setup Air and whatever you play on your computer will play on your Devialet

It is not the same with iOS or Android app. The current Devialet app for these two platforms is very basic and is mostly limited to selecting the source on Devialet, controlling volume and building playlists on the fly from the music you have on your iOS or Android devices. The latter is so primitive that I never actually use it for music playback.

Here shines the beauty of using a windows tablet as you will be able to install Air on a window 8.1 tablet. And from the tablet stream locally stored music or music on NAS using third party player like Jriver, Media Monkey, etc... or from streaming services like Tidal, Qobuz, Deeper, etc)

Many thanks and helpful. 

Two more questions: 
An Apple MacBook should be as advantageous and function the same as a Windows 8.1 tablet in using AIR wifi and streaming services and music?

If I have my music stored on my desktop - think I would be able to treat that as a NAS and access via a Windows tablet?

Thanks
Bill
(19-Apr-2015, 21:17)Mr_Bill Wrote:
(19-Apr-2015, 20:04)amabrok Wrote:

Hi,

I like your idea of streaming wifi direct from the Windows 8 Tablet or even and Ipad.  Is their an advantage to one or the other? I will use Pandora, Tidal and possibly Rhapsody.  I also have a library of my own music too.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill

Many thanks and helpful. 

Two more questions: 
An Apple MacBook should be as advantageous and function the same as a Windows 8.1 tablet in using AIR wifi and streaming services and music?

If I have my music stored on my desktop - think I would be able to treat that as a NAS and access via a Windows tablet?

Thanks
Bill

Functionality is almost the same on either Mac or Windows platform. It is a question of preference and accessibility to tools on each platform.

If your music is stored locally on your desktop then no need for a NAS. You simply setup Air on your desktop and then use the player of choice to play the stored music. Players like iTunes, Jriver, Media Monkey, Foobar 2000, dBPoweramp, Audirvana, etc...

Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Hi Bill, what Amabrok had said was correct. I would like to add that if you share your PC desktop harddrive, you will be able to use your Macbook to access the drive and AIR stream to Devialet. Macbook or Win8 tablet is a matter of preference, I don't think there's huge difference in sonic quality.

For iPad, I use Airfoil on Mac. This allow me to 'Airfoil' music playing on iPad to the Mac. And, Mac using USB to Devialet.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I would like to confirm that playing 24/96 music on my Toshiba WT8 tablet will cause white noises using AIR. But playing all lossless FLAC at 16/44.1 so far AIR has been perfect.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier