Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woofers don't move at all when music is playing
(06-Feb-2016, 04:02)Adams Wrote: Play the James Blake song "limit to your love" on about 60, available on deezer at this link: http://www.deezer.com/album/703955 if that doesn't get them moving you have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilarious! This totally shakes the whole building .... With just a single silver phantom ....

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed that the Devialet videos make you think the woofer excursion looks like that all the time. But you really need to push them at louder volumes to see them in action. I thought the same as the OP until I cranked up some bass heavy tunes over 60.

I still wish there was a "loudness" setting for lower volumes.
Well this shows how stupid Devialet marketing is. Aiming the device as a "rich lifestyle" device instead of a serious speaker, and purchasers are expecting the Phantom to "flap it's wings" all the time. As a result a perfectly good unit was sent back. Not blaming the thread starter at all....I blame this squarely on Devialet for their messed up marketing.
Hmmmm... I guess the topic starter never had seen another speaker... It's common that there is not a lot of movement at lower volumes and a lot on higher volumes...
You may have already checked this but make sure that 'night mode' isn't enabled. It should be the same colour (dark blue) as other buttons. If it's light blue then the bass will be cut off and you'll have no woofer action.

But it sounds like things are working now.

James
Thanks so much to everyone here for their helpful input. I think it's safe to say I'm an idiot and my Phantom works perfectly fine.

My primary setup has always centered around headphones and I am not familiar with speakers so after seeing the YouTube videos of Phantom woofers moving wildly and getting the same answer on Amazon Answers, I thought something was wrong.

Thanks again everyone and happy listening!
(06-Feb-2016, 16:21)Saintly Wrote: Thanks so much to everyone here for their helpful input. I think it's safe to say I'm an idiot and my Phantom works perfectly fine.

My primary setup has always centered around headphones and I am not familiar with speakers so after seeing the YouTube videos of Phantom woofers moving wildly and getting the same answer on Amazon Answers, I thought something was wrong.

Thanks again everyone and happy listening!

I think the idiots are the people who sell them and didn't know their product well enough to work out nothing was wrong with your first set. The problem with buying on the internet; All they know is move boxes.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(06-Feb-2016, 03:26)Saintly Wrote: I live in an apartment complex so I am not at liberty to turn it up too loud.  I've gone to about half volume and still 0 woofer movement.  I can feel them vibrating to the music though when I put my hands on them.

If you can feel them vibrating and they move during setup they are working normally. Visible bass unit movement is only likely during music with bass in the lowest audible octave where the DSP correction for the small enclosure size is working hard.

For normal music I would not expect to see speaker drive units moving. Only a tiny amount of vibration is required to produce quite a lot of sound, which is why an inert cabinet is important in general.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire