Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would I regret swapping a gold for 2 silvers??
(20-Apr-2021, 22:38)goofynick6 Wrote:
(20-Apr-2021, 22:07)njaiswal Wrote: I was in the same boat as you.  I bought my first phantom just based on reviews without hearing it.  To say I was disappointed when i first heard it was an understatement.  I couldn't believe that so many reviewers could be so wrong about it that I went ahead and got a second one.  It's a complete night and day difference.  And ever since I've been super happy with them.  I have the original classic, silver and gold models.  There is a difference between the classic/silver and gold.  But I found that it is only apparent if you listen to them side by side.  For everyday listening my classic and silver models are amazing speakers and we listen to those the most.

Hope this helps.

I really appreciate your comments.  You have an amazing collection of them!  They seem like they are similar to how people get one tattoo and then get addicted and get many more.  I could buy 3 silver for the price of 2 gold, so I am still somewhat undecided.  My wife thinks it would be crazy to downgrade to a lesser speaker after hearing this one.  We've never listened to silvers, so hard to say without testing.  I am sure it is just like you say, that the difference is probably noticeable when side by side or for someone who is a total audiophile.  I appreciate the best quality sound possible, but I can't say for sure I would notice the difference in the same way.  One review says it is an incredible difference, others say only at very high volumes.  I keep going back and forth.  I am terrible when it comes to having choices, sometimes less variety is easier and you worry less about making the right purchase.

Nick

In general humans are quite bad in perceiving absolute changes. We are relatively good perceiving relative differences. That’s why we taste a number of wines in a tasting and not one bottle per day when we want to select the best one. Same with audio. Even after 5 minutes you can’t remember subtle differences and categorize absolutely. But in direct comparison you can perceive very easily, in a blind test the difference between Silver and Gold Phantoms. No need to be an audiophile. In 2017 when I purchased the Gold Phantoms to replace a pair of Silvers, my wife, my parents (at age of 70), and I could all blindly recognize and distinguish Silver from Golds. The Golds sounded slightly more neutral, much more refined, clearly improved in the heights. As third speaker pair we compared the Phantoms with A pair of original B&W 802 (1st edition from 1980). The B&W had no chance, compared they sounded like a small speaker, limited in bandwidth, boxy, nice in the mids, but compressed in the heights and very limited in the deep lows. How could such small speakers like the Phantoms sound so full and complete at any volume? Measuring the actual moving drivers showed the surface of the moving part of the Phantom drivers is larger than the ones of the B&W 802, first edition. Both speakers are closed (not ported). That’s why the Phantoms can go deeper. And in the end the Gold Phantoms are a but more pronounced in the deepest bass and a bit less in the mid bass. This leaves a bit room in the mids to shine compared to the Silvers and then they are more linear in the range of 4-8 kHz. This can be heard by anyone in direct comparison. And of course I tried to level the volume of all to have same SQL using a sound level meter.
My recommendation is to go for the Golds or take the Silvers and wait for the next elevation program of Devialet in case the price difference is currently preventing to go for the Golds. BTW in the current elevation program you get the same for trading in a Silver as you get for trading in a Gold. Great deal for Silver owners.
(20-Apr-2021, 19:58)goofynick6 Wrote:
(20-Apr-2021, 15:35)st33f Wrote:
(20-Apr-2021, 02:58)goofynick6 Wrote: Hello all, I have been lurking for a while but finally joined the crowd and bought a Phantom I in black chrome last week.  I have been doing a lot of listening with Tidal through UPNP and while it is nice, and sound is great, I feel a bit disappointed.  When the volume is over 50, it gets better and better, however listening to music while eating dinner, doing work or hanging out with my wife with volume at 55 or 60 isn't really feasible for too long.  It makes it so you cannot have conversations.  My old stereo system with floor speakers and a sub, etc., sounded great at any volume.  When these are 40 or lower you might as well be using a soundbar or something.  

I did ensure it wasn't in night mode, and have checked all settings.  The room is about 19'x36' long with 18' tall ceilings at the peak.  I know, this is a big space and I have moved it around a bit, with some improvement, but mostly at louder volumes.  I am wondering if I just returned it to Amazon and got two of the silver models instead, would they sound much better in stereo at a volume of 40, but still sound awesome when cranked up.  I am thinking it would be a big improvement just having two of them, because as it is right now I am second-guessing my purchase.  It really doesn't do much of anything in this space below 45, and feels like a waste of money.  I'm not having many opportunities to sit around and listen at 70+ by myself.  The wife and I jammed out the other night with it around 70 for a while and our ears were immediately ringing when we turned it off.

Thoughts?  Anyone who can give feedback based on real-world experience?

Thank you,
Nick

I am in the same boat as you. I only have one and while the sound is great, I do concede that at lower volumes you could get something cheaper to do the job. That is why I am getting a second one to see if it really makes that much of a difference as everyone says. I admit it is a sh... load of money, but well YOLO. In the review below he says - With one you have the worlds best and most expensive boombox. With two you have one of the best audio systems you can buy today for MUCH less than competing products. I'll report back to tell you if I made the right choice but I doubt the answer will be no Smile.

He also compares Golds to Silvers

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/12/0...ir-review/

Now after reading everyone's posts and that review I am incredibly torn. I absolutely want two now, but I don't know if I should just go ahead with two silvers or add another gold. I obviously know that two gold will sound better than two silvers, but for someone like me I am not sure if the extra $2,000 is worth it... I love the idea of music being very accurate and amazing, but I wonder how different the new models of the phantom are when comparing silver to gold since there have been many updates in the last 5 years when this guy wrote his review.

Decisions, decisions...
If you can pay the extra money for a second gold, you will be blown away by the pure quality of the sound. i had 1 gold for a year and i was happy at high volume, but al low volume i was missing the bass. i bought a second gold and it was soo much better at low volume 30-40% you hear a nice bass but its not crazy, so it is very balanced an perfect for diner time and conversations. but when you go to 55% the bass is wide open and is very pleasing to feel the pounding. i also heard the silver and i would not go for the silver is you heard a gold. everything is so much more precise in the gold, the bass is more tight en real. if you go for 2 golds u have a system that is capable of doing everything and you will be very happy. a silver pair wil be also great but you will mis the gold. the difference between 1 gold and 2 gold's is very big
(22-Apr-2021, 06:48)Ebro Wrote:
(20-Apr-2021, 19:58)goofynick6 Wrote:
(20-Apr-2021, 15:35)st33f Wrote: I am in the same boat as you. I only have one and while the sound is great, I do concede that at lower volumes you could get something cheaper to do the job. That is why I am getting a second one to see if it really makes that much of a difference as everyone says. I admit it is a sh... load of money, but well YOLO. In the review below he says - With one you have the worlds best and most expensive boombox. With two you have one of the best audio systems you can buy today for MUCH less than competing products. I'll report back to tell you if I made the right choice but I doubt the answer will be no Smile.

He also compares Golds to Silvers

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/12/0...ir-review/

Now after reading everyone's posts and that review I am incredibly torn. I absolutely want two now, but I don't know if I should just go ahead with two silvers or add another gold. I obviously know that two gold will sound better than two silvers, but for someone like me I am not sure if the extra $2,000 is worth it... I love the idea of music being very accurate and amazing, but I wonder how different the new models of the phantom are when comparing silver to gold since there have been many updates in the last 5 years when this guy wrote his review.

Decisions, decisions...
If you can pay the extra money for a second gold, you will be blown away by the pure quality of the sound. i had 1 gold for a year and i was happy at high volume, but al low volume i was missing the bass. i bought a second gold and it was soo much better at low volume 30-40% you hear a nice bass but its not crazy, so it is very balanced an perfect for diner time and conversations. but when you go to 55% the bass is wide open and is very pleasing to feel the pounding. i also heard the silver and i would not go for the silver is you heard a gold. everything is so much more precise in the gold, the bass is more tight en real. if you go for 2 golds u have a system that is capable of doing everything and you will be very happy. a silver pair wil be also great but you will mis the gold. the difference between 1 gold and 2 gold's is very big
Ok, I was so hyped up for the second one and was curious if it would make such a big difference. Well, yes it does. All
of a sudden a wall of sound is created and everything is nicely balanced at any volume, especially at low volume - so far I had no guts to go over 60  Big Grin

I definitely recommend a stereo. If you can't afford stereo right away, get a single most expensive you can afford with knowing that you need a second one. You won't be disappointed. 

So far, everything works just great in Roon for me.
Well, $7,500+ later, I have 2 Phantom I's in black with dark chrome and matching treepod stands. The 2nd one was very easy to setup and pair to the Devialet app. I had them near a wall in my big, open room and started listening. I was not blown away and instantly regretting my decision!

Then I moved them over near my stone fireplace, one on each side and aiming right at my couch. I sat down and tried again. What a difference! You really need to find the best placement for them to get the best sound. I am sure I could further improve the sound in a better place, but they look good here and sound very nice.

We now listen happily around 30 volume with nice sound balance. An equalizer would make these things perfect; I always am wanting to slightly lower the brightness and boost the mids just a tad. When you put them at 60, they are incredible! My wife and I spent the other evening having some wine and listening to old songs and new, just hearing them in a new way. It's always cool to hear a song for the 1,000th time, but it sounds different and you notice new harmonies or background sounds.

So, either get one of the "silver" phantoms, or 2 "golds". I think that is the thought process after going through this. 1 gold isn't right on its own, but in a pair is an experience.

From my short time with them, here are some highly recommend songs to try with a stereo pair:

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
The best - AWOLNATION
Dog chasing cars - Hans Zimmer (Dark Knight)
Madman across the water - Elton John
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
Mistakes - Lake Street Dive

I am using Tidal playing through Bubble UPnP for the best quality.

Thank you to everyone for sharing their experience and info!

-Nick
(01-May-2021, 15:40)goofynick6 Wrote: What a difference!  You really need to find the best placement for them to get the best sound.
Two Phantoms, positioned properly in the room on stands is the ONLY way to listen!

It is frustrating to read reviews of a single lonely one, often described as an overly expensive boom box. For that, Devialet have to take the blame. They should lead with marketing a stereo pair

Enjoy...
(01-May-2021, 23:21)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(01-May-2021, 15:40)goofynick6 Wrote: What a difference!  You really need to find the best placement for them to get the best sound.
Two Phantoms, positioned properly in the room on stands is the ONLY way to listen!

It is frustrating to read reviews of a single lonely one, often described as an overly expensive boom box. For that, Devialet have to take the blame. They should lead with marketing a stereo pair

Enjoy...
Stands or treepod? Same quality or one better?
(02-May-2021, 08:56)fabien44 Wrote: Stands or treepod? Same quality or one better?
OP had treepods, but half decent stands will do as well. It will also work with Isoacoustics stands. The important thing is to treat the Phantoms like a good pair of speakers. 

Also, position them properly in the room and not put them in corners, tucked away somewhere.
(02-May-2021, 10:15)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(02-May-2021, 08:56)fabien44 Wrote: Stands or treepod? Same quality or one better?
OP had treepods, but half decent stands will do as well. It will also work with Isoacoustics stands. The important thing is to treat the Phantoms like a good pair of speakers. 

Also, position them properly in the room and not put them in corners, tucked away somewhere.

Which isoacoustics stands?
(02-May-2021, 22:24)st33f Wrote:
(02-May-2021, 10:15)Snoopy8 Wrote:

Which isoacoustics stands?

I used silver Aperta stands with my Gold Phantoms because they were less of a colour clash.  However, you can use any of the Iso stands or even the Iso Pucks.  Could not hear a difference between the pro audio and consumer range...