Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wyred4Sound Remedy Reclocker
I had some time to try my Remedy Reclocker today. First impressions? The little box is actually quite nice, with very good build quality for what it is. I know some people on here care deeply about power supplies, well the Remedy comes with a particularly nasty looking, and very small, wall wart. Is this a problem? I'm not sure, but plug it in and it produces power, so all good.

The main thing of interest to me was to see if it can improve the quality of the Toslink output from my Panasonic TV (TX-P50VT65B, for those that might be interested) when fed to the Devialet. Today I tried some back to back tests, the set up as follows. Tivo via HDMI to TV, Toslink to reclocker, Toslink to Devialet. I had recorded a selection tracks on the Tivo, such that I could do direct A B tests with identical source material. I also had the luxury of a friend 'round today, who was willing to blind test. (Someone who historically has blind picked a D800 over a D250 and AES/EBU dual mono link cable over RCA to RCA link on a D800, so has a good ear for these things)

The results are perhaps not what you might expect. I have read many good things about the Remedy Reclocker, so in terms of expectation bias I was expecting a clear improvement. However, things were very marginal. On first listen I thought there was possibly a slight improvement in overall definition with the Reclocker, but it did seam very marginal. We switched back between with and without the reclocker, and on second listen, I was not so sure, the only real conclusion I could reach was that any improvement was at least very marginal. My friend listening "blind", had a very marginal preference to the sound without the reclocker after the first back to back listen, then later stated that there was very little difference at all. I have to say this has surprised me a little. So I am now thinking why. Of course one conclusion could be that the reclocker isn't any good, however, I do note that reviews, and others on this thread have reached very different conclusions. Another possibility is that the Toslink output of the Pioneer is in fact very good, or at least clocked very well. This being the case, a Reclocker is not going to improve anything, it will just reproduce what was already a decently clocked signal. Another thought is that the basic quality of the source material via the Tivo, presumably low bit rate and compressed format, simply is not open to much improvement. From what I have heard today, my money is on the Panasonic actually having a decently clocked output, perhaps this combined with the "low res" TV derived source material leads to the "makes no difference" conclusion. Also, it is perhaps worth noting that with or without the reclocker, everything sounded pretty good, despite the questionable source material, so maybe the Panasonic does simply have a decent digital output.

Anyway, I do have a number of other thing I wish to try. For example, I do have a Pioneer BDP-450 Blu-ray / SACD player. This is not a particularly expensive piece of kit, I only occasionally watch Blu-rays, so have little need to buy a £1000 Oppo or similar. The Pioneer also has the ability to work as a music server, running off external USB memory. A while back, I tried this with the Devialet, just as a fun experiment. Although the Pioneer sounds fairly decent with the Devialet, running off Blu-ray or SACDs, in this music server mode with a USB drive, it did not sound very good at all. So I'm thinking that trying the Pioneer with the reclocker, with both SACD's and USB drive derived music, might be an interesting test. I also have a fifteen year old Musical Fidelity A3CD player with digital output that I could try. I will at least try the Pioneer tomorrow, and report back further.
A few pictures.  If you have a love of nice linear PSU's, look away now ....

It also has a logo that glows blue, pointless but actually looks quite good!
Another day with the Remedy Reclocker. Today I loaded some FLAC files onto a USB drive, some 16bit, some 24bit.  This was then used to play music via a Pioneer BDP-450 to Remedy Reclocker to Devialet.  The results could not have been more different to yesterdays test via Toslink from a Panasonic TV.

There was a clear improvement, more or less in all areas.  Better resolution, manifesting itself in mid range detail, better vocals, better resolution in the lowest bass.  It struck me that it was simply a more pleasant listen, less fatiguing and more "analogue".  That was my impression anyway, I was impressed and even more puzzled by yesterday's poor results.

Early this afternoon I was joined again by my "blind tester".  We started listening to a few tracks direct from the Pioneer.  Then I connected the Reclocker, and we listened again.  It took about 5 minutes, only a few bars into the second track, for the "blind" listener to announce "this ones better, no 2 is best".  So fairly clear cut.

Back to my own listening this morning, I was struck that my cheapo Pioneer Blu-ray player, pretending to music server, was actually sounding rather splendid when coupled with the reclocker.  Consider this, this is a D800 with KEF Blades running off a piece of kit that that costs less than £200 and is a music player only as a secondary function.

Having done much back to back testing with and without the Reclocker and coming to the clear conclusion that it did in fact make a big improvement, I asked myself the question, is this as good as AIR Ethernet?  Surely not?  To be honest, when I had got to this point I was getting a bit fed up of overly careful listening to the same stuff again and again, plus this kind of listening this does effect my sanity a little.  However, I was intrigued enough to give it a quick try.  The result?  Well I think I would need to spend additional time with this one to get definitive conclusions, but initial impressions were a little mixed.  One thing that was very clear in one track, is that the depth and resolution with the very lowest bass was significantly better with AIR, more realistic, more "magnificent" sounding.  (this was with the timpani bass in a 24bit copy of Freddie Mercury's "Barcelona", 2012 Orchestral remake). That was not the end of the story though, in other aspects, I think I was enjoying listening to the Pioneer + Reclocker combo more than AIR, it's back to that combination of being less fatiguing an "analogue".  Anyway, I did not spend a massive amount of time comparing with AIR, but this is definitely something worth revisiting some time.  Makes me wonder what the reclocker might be capable of with a slightly less rubbish source feeding it?  I'm also wondering if it will work between TV and Devialet, Toslink in, SPDIF RCA out, but that's another one for another day.  I guess I am now a little frustrated that the thing worked splendidly in an application that I don't really want to use, but seemingly poorly in one that I do!
Great review - thanks confused! It sounds like the only thing to do here is to demo the unit. Curious if you tried it with a sonos connect?
Devialet 120, Kef LS50
(02-Nov-2015, 12:53)vipnyc Wrote: Great review - thanks confused!  It sounds like the only thing to do here is to demo the unit.  Curious if you tried it with a sonos connect?

No, I don't have a Sonos connect.  Having said that, I would expect that the digital output from the Sonos would be somewhat better than a Pioneer BDP-450 in "music server" mode.  So I think that there is a good change that the end results might be surprisingly good.
Hi there! I'm coming in a bit late in this thread but if I understood correctly Wyred4Sound RR is excellent for improving a (low quality) Airpot Exress airplay as source.
At this price point, wouldn't it be better to just get an Arcam's airDac or Myro:control (both around 400 $) and eliminate the jitter from the source?... which is arguably better than correcting the jitter with a reclocker.
Anyone who maybe has experience with those dedicated airplay streamers - do they also have jitter issues?
It's not just a theoretical question - I'm wondering which one to buy: Airport Express + Wyred4Sound RR vs airDac/Myro.
My results were had exclusively through SP/DIF using Atlas Mavros Ultra digital cables.
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
(25-May-2016, 22:21)MusicFirst Wrote: My results were had exclusively through SP/DIF using Atlas Mavros Ultra digital cables.

Hi,   how would you rate the mc3+usb over the 2 remedy reclocks in series? 

Was it again dramatic improvement or which areas inproved. 

I have also 2 remedys and happy, just wanting to know if it is a big worthwhime change. 

Thanks
(16-Nov-2016, 06:33)justubes Wrote:
(25-May-2016, 22:21)MusicFirst Wrote: My results were had exclusively through SP/DIF using Atlas Mavros Ultra digital cables.

Hi,   how would you rate the mc3+usb over the 2 remedy reclocks in series? 

Was it again dramatic improvement or which areas inproved. 

I have also 2 remedys and happy, just wanting to know if it is a big worthwhime change. 

Thanks

The Mutec betters two Remedys (using three Atlas Mavros SP/DIF Cables) in every respect, and by a very wide margin. If I were to pick the main differences, it is its amazing tonality and Truthfulness throughout the frequency range as well as the ol' PRAT (Pace, Rhythm & Timing). I have a Esoteric UX-1 transport and a Laufer Teknik Server and a LampizatOr Big 7 DAC, and the Mutec between the source and the DAC (using the same Atlas Mavros cables) is a truly indispensable component (it also has phenomenal bass, in a relative and absolute sense).

Sell your two Remedys, your extra Spdif and throw another hundred bucks at a brand new Mutec M-3+ USB with the latest 1.10 firmware you'll never look back, I promise.

Unfortunately, one cannot use any reclocker with the Devialet topology, but if you have a separate source and DAC, you MUST audition the West German reclocker from Mutec, its that good. Its performance, at a list price of $1100 is easily commensurate with that of a $5000 component.
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
iFi iPurifier SPDIF crushes the Remedy and at 1/3 the price. Upsampling does a lot of damage with the dev from remedy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk