Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YG and Devialet working on active speake?
HIFI+ Feb edition mentions that YG accoustic and Devialet are working on a new active speaker system.

I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere else. Is this new news?

This has me super excited because I consider both brands to be at the very top of audio performance regardless of price.

This could be very very special.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
For your reading pleasure:

http://designwsound.com/dwsblog/2018/10/devialet-axd/
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I have not read the Hifi+ article, but I suspect it relates to Devialet’s AXD initiative.  Devialet announced last year that Vivid, YG Accoustic and others (unnamed) were involved.

https://hifipig.com/devialet-add-axd-tec...mplifiers/

Edit:  and Estalon.

Edit 2: Fast fingers Pim beat me to it yet again. Sad

Edit 3: and B&W
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Jan-2019, 23:15)Confused Wrote: I have not read the Hifi+ article, but I suspect it relates to Devialet’s AXD initiative.  Devialet announced last year that Vivid, YG Accoustic and others (unnamed) were involved.

https://hifipig.com/devialet-add-axd-tec...mplifiers/

Edit:  and Estalon.

Edit 2: Fast fingers Pim beat me to it yet again. Sad

Edit 3: and B&W

Fast fingers....nice nick name. Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(24-Jan-2019, 22:34)bernardl Wrote: HIFI+ Feb edition mentions that YG accoustic and Devialet are working on a new active speaker system.

This has me super excited because I consider both brands to be at the very top of audio performance regardless of price.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Bernard

Do agree that YG are likely one of the best, if not the best, out there...heard a demo of the Haileys and I was rightly impressed.
(25-Jan-2019, 02:02)Wdw Wrote:
(24-Jan-2019, 22:34)bernardl Wrote: HIFI+ Feb edition mentions that YG accoustic and Devialet are working on a new active speaker system.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Bernard

Do agree that YG are likely one of the best, if not the best, out there...heard a demo of the Haileys and I was rightly impressed.

My 800 and YG combo is very good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Devialet AXD means I have to spend between $72k, or $104K, only on amplification...

Then, that's ok. No, thanks.
(25-Jan-2019, 19:59)Dvlt PhD Wrote: If Devialet AXD means I have to spend between $72k, or $104K, only on amplification...

Hmm, well, HiFi is a falling/failing market. Today’s high end is yesterday’s mediocre. They need to make it expensive to cover their losses of falling sales. Young people today do not sign up for quality sound. Many are happy with MP3 over their phones. Even my 40 year old son fits this description. I now have his separates to sell off. It’s a dying industry and the only way forward is to make stuff more expensive.   
Think expensive Italian sports cars. The dealers only need to sell one a month to stay liquid. Most contributors here I would guess are well over 50 YOA. At least we will see out our years listening to proper sound. I don’t have that confidence for our younger generations. Such a shame but true.
(26-Jan-2019, 00:05)Greg Wrote:
(25-Jan-2019, 19:59)Dvlt PhD Wrote: If Devialet AXD means I have to spend between $72k, or $104K, only on amplification...

Hmm, well, HiFi is a falling/failing market. Today’s high end is yesterday’s mediocre. They need to make it expensive to cover their losses of falling sales. Young people today do not sign up for quality sound. Many are happy with MP3 over their phones. Even my 40 year old son fits this description. I now have his separates to sell off. It’s a dying industry and the only way forward is to make stuff more expensive.   
Think expensive Italian sports cars. The dealers only need to sell one a month to stay liquid. Most contributors here I would guess are well over 50 YOA. At least we will see out our years listening to proper sound. I don’t have that confidence for our younger generations. Such a shame but true.

I am not sure we belong to what you call HiFi. From my persoective we belong more to the high end of HiFi which has always been a small portion because of the price and the will. 
I would submit that even in the bright days of HiFi, the vast majority of systems were fairly bad in the speaker compartment unless you were moving to ‘high end’ which was not the case for most people. For the anecdote, when I was a teenager I bought myself a HiFi with Akaï electronics and Siare Speakers. As I was writing earlier, the electronics were decent, but the speakers, although 3 ways with a 7 inches woofer, were mediocre at best. The medium transducer was more for the apparence that the audio, and when I opened them later, I realized how badly done was the bass reflex. No amortization at all in the box which was made of cheap MDF and what was supposed to be the port, was just a hole, with no tube, so no tuning of the port. 

It is true that the majority of people are favoring convenience over quality and are listening on their cell phones and other mediocre devices, but is it really different than before?
For every person listening on a high end system, how may people were listening on a crappy little radio.

I am not convinced that mp3 is really the problem. Unless you go below 128kbps, you could be surprised how good it can sound on a good system. For the anecdote, I have been using mp3s and AACs with audiophile friends without telling them, and not a single one was able to tell, and they were baffled when I told them after the fact. So I thing the issue is more listening from the tiny tiny speaker of the phone or from the crappy ear buds that is the real problem. 

If I look at the convenient connected speakers, I see an increase in sound quality with companies like Devialet, but also JBL or Sonos that are moving there, and I would dispute that they sound worse than was the average HiFi system was sounding 30 or 40 year ago. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

I wonder what @Confused would do if Kef did AXD for his speakers.. Two more D1000? Big Grin
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB