Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your single Phantom experiences?
According to Devialets website, single speakers are intended as a possible set up too.
I belong to those who will initially only be able to afford a single Phantom.

Of course I realize that you need two for stereo sound stage experience
but I am writing this on behalf of all of us who can only purchase one and want to know:

whats your experience of a single phantom?
is the omni-sound bearable or does it sound "mono"?
and can one live with a single unit?

thanks!
Hi
I have got three silver phantom.. Two set as stereo in the living room...and one set as solo.. Which I migrate from my study to the bedroom...
Believe me ... The office anf bedroom are always filled with music... And you can't even tell the location of the phantom... It it's a nice experience...one phantom is excellent....
Hope that help.
Cheers
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(20-Sep-2015, 18:17)angenet Wrote: Hi
I have got three silver phantom.. Two set as stereo in the living room...and one set as solo.. Which I migrate from my study to the bedroom...
Believe me ... The office anf bedroom are always filled with music... And you can't even tell the location of the phantom... It it's a nice experience...one phantom is excellent....
Hope that help.
Cheers

Thanks angenet, that sounds hopefull.
Any other opinions?
No worries..
If you can afford it... Get it... And you can take the advantage of the 45 days risk free on offer now...

I just read a post in this chat about a 30% discount... Don't believe as Devialet do not offer any discount..

But double check and see if you can get some good deal... But it's worth trying.....
Cheers
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
Any other opinions out there?

Of course I realize that you need two for stereo sound stage experience, but:
whats your experience of a single phantom?
is the omni-sound bearable or does it sound "mono"?
and can one live with a single unit? 

thanks!
I took a quick listen at my local dealer yesterday. Stereo config silvers in a conference room, and then a single white phantom in a lobby. The second listen in the lobby was very quick, but the single phantom does not sound like a point source at all. You truly cannot localize the speaker at all and this was immediately noticeable.

I didn't listen enough to get a good feeling of how much you really lose when going down to a single speaker, but even with the single speaker you are feeding it a stereo signal which is a substantial difference versus a conventional single channel.

My gut is that it will work quite well. I may start with one his week and see how it goes.
Have been running a single for a few months. I think it is very good. On the strength of that performance I've recently decided to get a second and promote phantoms to primary system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I listen to a single Phantom since february.
The sound is really good and it does fill the room nicely.
It is of course mono but somehow you easily forget about it.
It seems that the combination of coaxial and emissive sphero has something a bit special here. On some songs you even happen to have phantom sources.
Maybe that's where the name comes from. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a single Phantom in my bedroom, and I don't notice a mono feel. What I notice is how much the room is filled and how well the Phantom separates vocals and instruments. The power is also astonishing. I've never taken it past 65%. Would I like a second and third? Yes. But one is a small miracle.
I'll back this up. It's the most spacious 'mono' sound I've ever heard. In fact I'd go one step further and say that I find a single Phantom has a greater "sense of achievement" than two of them do. Don't get me wrong - two ARE better - but don't take you by surprise by twice as much (150%, perhaps?).
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.