Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aspiring user - rookie questions for streaming on a Expert (non Pro)
I would just ask another (potentially dumb) question. If I hooked the Node to my network wirelessly, could the Node transmit music to a Devialet via ethernet?
I don't think that will be possible, because the Node won't have any built-in way to "talk to" the Devialet to send it the audio stream. As far as I know, the only way you can send music over the network to an Expert (or Pro without Core Infinity) is using Devialet AIR; to use that you either need a computer that can run Devialet's AIR virtual sound card software, or Roon which has support for AIR built in.

Maybe others will spot something I've missed?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(01-Dec-2020, 22:50)thumb5 Wrote: I don't think that will be possible, because the Node won't have any built-in way to "talk to" the Devialet to send it the audio stream.  As far as I know, the only way you can send music over the network to an Expert (or Pro without Core Infinity) is using Devialet AIR; to use that you either need a computer that can run Devialet's AIR virtual sound card software, or Roon which has support for AIR built in.

Maybe others will spot something I've missed?

Based on what I've learned over the past couple of days, what you said indeed makes sense. It would be up to BlueOS to be able to integrate the Devialet drivers to send music via a network cable, indeed.
(01-Dec-2020, 22:02)docvale Wrote:
(01-Dec-2020, 20:57)David A Wrote:
(01-Dec-2020, 16:01)docvale Wrote: Hi guys,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide these explanations!
So, it seems that my dream to have a super essential setup is distant from reality. If I understood correctly, I indeed need a machine to be used as music server. What I was hoping for is to have something that works (at least, as far as I assume) as a Bluesound Node 2i: a device that, connected to the network, scans for music in HDDs and internet and is able to browse it. Instead, Roon or not, my understanding is that the streaming platform from the Devialet Expert (at least, the pre-CI generation) depends on a networked device.

The reason for me to be reluctant to use my own laptop as server is because I use it for all my non-business stuff, while I'd like something that also my wife (and my kids, in the near future) would be able to use regardless my use of the laptop. Also, I have Big Sur installed and, last night, I've learned that Air cannot be installed on Big Sur yet.

Am I missing something? Smile

Whatever music you stream must come via a server BUT it only needs to be YOUR server if you are streaming your own files. If you're streaming from a service like Tidal/Qobuz, the files are streamed from Tidal's or Qobuz' server and you don't need a server, you just need something that can talk to their server.

In practice a lot of server software (eg Roon and others) and a lot of server hardware which may or may not be able to run Roon software, can talk to some streaming services such as Tidal/Qoobuz/Spotify so it's easy to assume that you need to have a server yourself but there are "network streaming devices" which can talk to streaming services and which aren't servers. If you are only going to stream from a streaming service and  you don't want to maintain your own library of music files, you don't need a music server. Some of those devices can also provide a rudimentary interface to music stored on an attached USB drive or a drive attached to your network.

As I said, a primary question for you is whether you want to stream music from files on your own drives, whether you want to stream music from a streaming service, or whether you want to do both. If you only want to stream music from a streaming service such as Tidal or one of the other services, you don't need a server. You just need a device which can talk to the streaming service and, depending on the service or services you choose, that may require nothing more than an app on an iOS or Android device and having your Devialet connected to the same network that the iOS or Android device is connected to.

Many people want to stream at least some files of their own so they do need a server but if you can find all of the music you're interested in playing on a streaming service there is no need to have a server of your own because you're using the service's server. You just need a way of talking to that service and directing a stream from it to your Devialet. Much of the server software available lets you do both but you don't have to do both, you can choose to just use a streaming service, and if you make that choice then it is possible to do it without a server on your network. You just need a network streaming device which gives lets you input your account details for the streaming service and which also provides an interface for searching for and selecting music to play. There are devices available which just do that.

So, back to my big question which is where is your music going to come from, your own files, from a streaming service, or from a combination of both? That's the starting point for your decision making process.

Hi David,

Sorry, I somehow overlooked your question.
The short answer is a bit of both, the actual situation is a tad more complex though.

My favorite way to listen to music is spinning records. I love the medium and the ritual, and I've done it for ~20 years, with two systems in Italy and with one since I moved to the USA. After becoming a parent, though, my chances to do that became less and less frequent and, indeed, over the past 7 years I might have collected just few hours of record playing.
I know that the Devialet approach to vinyl playback is a kind of heretic, with a double AD/DA conversion: I also think, though, that the logics of the approach, in particular at its price point, can provide high performance and do definitely better than my current, cheap phono stage*.

Regarding digital, I have a music file collection in Apple lossless format that would be networked, as I previously described. I'd like my system to be the family system, so that also my wife could enjoy that without too much hassle (which, considering her talent with electronics, would mean touching an icon on her phone...). I would access the digital files for some focused listening (time permitting) or to have full albums in playback while doing other stuff.
But I would also like to access streaming services to explore new music (maybe to be purchased in vinyl, ultimately) or to just have a radio for very distracted background entertainment.
My goal would be having the most streamlined system, without jumping from app to app to get the desired source.

I decided to buy, from a friend who's upgrading his system, a BlueSound Node 2i, to be able to browse files and streaming services with a single, user-friendly app. 
I would connect the Node via SPDIF to a Devialet, assuming I ended up sealing a deal, or I would use it as a full functioning digital source upstream of a traditional amplifier.

Thanks,

Valerio

*= I am aware the Devialet's phono stage disappoints with low output MC due to hiss, but, for now I would use my current MM and, even in the context of an upgrade, I do not see myself going low output without a SUT.

Valerio,

If you've been spinning discs for 20+ years and have a small file collection in Apple Lossless, I'm not surprised that you're interested in being able to stream your own files as well as accessing streaming services.

My only concerns with the Node is its inability to stream to the Devialet via ethernet and its lack of a USB output. You do have optical and coax digital outputs but I don't think they're as good as ethernet or wifi but I do think the Node should give you an easy entry into streaming and some time with it may well help clarify your ideas of just where you want to go with streaming in the future.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I hear you, David.
I'm sure that, if/once the system were all setup, I'd run some experiments to compare the Node+Devialet with ethernet (driven by my wife's laptop - I won't be able from mine as long as Devialet does not release a Big Sure compatible app -). I cannot hide that using a "primitive" connection is not the most exciting thing. But I also know that it could suffice to give listening enjoyment.
Over the past few years - undoubtedly also because of the reasons of above - the idea to handle my computer to play music was a deterrent. Indeed, I had mostly streamed random Pandora stations for laziness!
Just hooked up a Roon nucleus + and am streaming Tidal through Ethernet to my Expert 400. It was literally plug and play. Shocked and delighted. Not analog but a lot better than a Sonos Connect via TosLink.
(27-Mar-2021, 19:09)tcutter Wrote: Just hooked up a Roon nucleus + and am streaming Tidal through Ethernet to my Expert 400. It was literally plug and play.  Shocked and delighted. Not analog but a lot better than a Sonos Connect via TosLink.

Thanks for your feedback. 
I ended up purchasing an Expert 120 and I hooked it to a Node 2i via SPDIF coaxial. I'm happy with the convenience of the interface and the absence of any extra cost for the software. I tried a (rather casual, actually) comparison of the SPDIF connection vs my Macbook pro via USB: I haven't noticed any advantage of the USB to make me questioning the quality of the sound via the Node 2i.
Happily, I can say I've never had such a good sounding setup (despite I need to push the volume a tad higher than what I would have expected).
(27-Mar-2021, 19:09)tcutter Wrote: Just hooked up a Roon nucleus + and am streaming Tidal through Ethernet to my Expert 400. It was literally plug and play.  Shocked and delighted. Not analog but a lot better than a Sonos Connect via TosLink.

If you wouldn't mind a sub-rookie question, and a long-winded one a that—

I have a Devialet Expert 200, so no Core Infinity.  I would stream from my MacBookPro (loaded with many, many ALAC files, some Redbook CD, some higher-res) to the Devialet via AirPlay, but Devialet doesn't "do" AirPlay for my MacOS, which is BigSur, or indeed, for any MacOS post-Catalina.

I have not heard any noise from Devialet that they are working on, or even have a desire to work on, AirPlay for newer MacOSes.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

In the meanwhile, I'm using the digital output of my Sony HAP-Z1ES music server to connect to the Devialet via USB 2.0.

What I'm wondering is: if I were to acquire a Roon Nucleus+, and put my ALAC files on it, would I be able to

• stream from the Nucleus+ to the Devialet via AirPlay?

• or, failing that, connect the Nucleus+ to the Devialet via Ethernet?

• and would that set-up allow me to access hi-res streaming (e.g., Tidal) via the Nucleus+?

Grateful for clarification, even as I'm apologetic for my cluelessness here.

With thanks for your time and attention,

Howard.
@howardrodman - You are correct, the "Non Pro" Expert does not support AirPlay, and there is little to suggest it ever will have this functionality.

This should not be a huge problem though, because Devialet AIR streaming, which your "Non-Pro" Expert does support either by hard wired Ethernet or by WiFi, is technically superior to AirPlay.

Roon works well with the Expert. Roon has Devialet AIR built in. In fact, you do not even need a Nucleus, you could run Roon core on your Mac, and then either use hard wired Ethernet or WiFi, and your Mac should stream to the Devialet without issue. Of course, a Roon Nucleus would also work, and might afford some advantages. If nothing else, it is a dedicated item for audio and takes the Mac out of the chain. This might be more convenient for you.

Streaming via Devialet AIR will allow you to stream anything up to 24/192. DSD64 works also, but is not officially supported by Devialet.

Another factor is sound quality. Opinions vary on this one, but I much preferred the sound quality of my Expert via Devialet AIR in comparison to USB.

In theory, you should not even need Roon. You could load the Devialet AIR app onto your Mac and it than acts like a virtual soundcard streaming to your Devialet. There have been reports from some of the Mac users on this forum that there is an issue with the Devialet app and the latest Mac OS. It is very disappointing that Devialet have not resolved this issue. (I presume this issue is still unresolved? I do not use a Mac for audio, maybe other can advise re this point)

Anyway, the above issue is why Roon is your friend here, by having the Devialet AIR driver built in. Roon has a 14 day free trial, so at least you can try before you buy and see if you like it and if it works for you.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I totally agree with @Confused . Using Roon and streaming via Devialet AIR will not only get you best sound but it should prove to be rock solid. And, of course, there’s a ton of other benefits from using Roon.

If you opt to not use Roon yet go with the Devialet AIR app, it would likely work but, in my experience on a PC, it is just not as stable and Devialet hasn’t released any updates for the PC or Mac AIR drivers in a long time.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA