Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass,treble and SAM
Another tread made me thinking and start to play with bass,treble and SAM on my 250 pro

I have my SAM activated on 50 % att the moment 

Do some of you use and play with bass and treble ....if so what numbers are you using ? and what are the benefits for you ?
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
I didn't use tone controls much. I used SAM at 100% and room correction made with Audiolense so tone controls where not really needed. I set turnover to 60Hz for bass and 6kHz for treble for the few times I used it. Default settings of 100 and 1000 affected midrange too much for my taste.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I am not using bass nor treble controls.

I'm using SAM at 100% but with my speakers high passed to 16Hz to eliminate really low frequencies that would eat power and woofer excursion for no good given that my speakers are at 37Hz with SAM and down to 20Hz with SAM.

Had a few occasions when before I high passed them to 16Hz the SAM protection was kicking in a high SPL.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I also experimented recently with SAM, BASS, TREBLE

I read an article which tells, that you can get really good results with closed ports for my ported B&W707 S2 and use bass extension instead to get same db at frequencies above 50hz but louder below that (using the subsonic of course).

For me that does not work.
Every time I set Bass Frequency to something around 40-60hz, closing the ports and increase bass via remote, my tweeters seem do distort. I am really confused how this works, because the bass extension should only have effect on frequencies below the 40-60hz I set before...

Can anybody explain how this BASS EXTENSION really works and what's the problem?

Here's the article (in German) Im referring to.

https://www.hifistudio10.de/hifistudio10...et-expert/

Gretes
As your B&W707 has a SAM profile I think you should use that, not the bass control,  and keep the reflex port open. The Martin Logan used in the article has a bigger bass driver and much higher sensitivity. I would assume it is better suited for the sealed box experiment.
I have no explanation for the tweeter distortion you describe. It should not be like that.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(06-Jan-2022, 13:36)ogs Wrote: I didn't use tone controls much. I used SAM at 100% and room correction made with Audiolense so tone controls where not really needed. I set turnover to 60Hz for bass and 6kHz for treble for the few times I used it. Default settings of 100 and 1000 affected midrange too much for my taste.

I think the default treble point is 2KHz.

Shelving off the bass can be useful if your speakers are a little too close to the wall (I did it at 47Hz... but that's entirely room/speaker dependent).
I also shelve down the treble at 4.5KHz by -1dB, to subdue the inherent brightness of my sparsely furnished room.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(22-Feb-2022, 14:00)JohnnySix Wrote: I think the default treble point is 2KHz.

You are correct, it's 2kHz
Devialetless!
I don't think I'm currently using the bass or treble adjustments, but I do use a high pass for the Dalis, and then pre-out from 60Hz (I'm guessing here) to the KEF sub. I use SAM, but I can't remember the percentage setting. Possibly 50 or 60%. I'd have to check.

For me, SAM is really great at helping the speakers do 'their' bass as well as they can, and it also frees up the midrange. I hear this on my Dalis, and I heard it also on ProAC Tablets some years ago.

I've used the treble adjustment in the past but essentially just as a fine tune, to get the tonal balance that feels best to me. I'd say that we do the same thing with speaker cables or other wiring; it has an effect on the sound that is just a product of amp and speakers and source and room. Each situation is different and there is no 'correct' setting for all rooms or systems.

With Devialet, being able to set the treble or bass tone frequency is really nice, but does take some time to work out. Personally, I've never taken that much time with it. I just like what I hear, and I rarely fuss with any of the settings.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(22-Feb-2022, 14:11)ogs Wrote:
(22-Feb-2022, 14:00)JohnnySix Wrote: I think the default treble point is 2KHz.

You are correct, it's 2kHz

The default treble point of 2KHz is inadequate. I don't know why Devialet chose this value...
From what I know, the values used by other manufacturers are between 8kHz and 20kHz (most use a value >= 10kHz).
Luckily the value is adjustable, which is great.