Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beosystem w/ devialet phantom?
I've obsessed with beosystem for a while, do you guys think it is a good move to hook up a beosystem 6500 to phantom? Can I do it wirelessly (long shot haha)?
That would be possible, but difficult and complex. I do not think the Beomaster 6500 has a pre amp output, only loudspeaker outputs (that control volume, tone etc.) You'd have to somehow run the speaker level outputs through a attenuator device to make it line level, then through an Analog to Digital converter with a Toslink (optical) output connected to a Devialet Dialog for connection to the Phantoms.
Certainly not an ideal way of connecting Phantoms. The sound character of the Beomaster power amp wound be in the signal path and colour the sound. You would have to be careful with the B&O volume control not to overdrive the AD converter (and produce digital clipping) Also tone controls could produce this overdrive.
A different approach is to use the same output that goes to a tape recorder into the AD converter. You could not use the B&O remote for other that switching inputs (no volume, tone, balance, effects) on the Beosystem, but you could still use your Beosystem. You'd then use Spark for volume control.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-Mar-2016, 18:04)ogs Wrote: That would be possible, but difficult and complex.  I do not think the Beomaster 6500 has a pre amp output, only loudspeaker outputs (that control volume, tone etc.) You'd have to somehow run the speaker level outputs through a attenuator device to make it line level,  then through an Analog to Digital converter with a Toslink (optical) output connected to a Devialet Dialog for connection to the Phantoms.
Certainly not an ideal way of connecting Phantoms. The sound character of the Beomaster power amp wound be in the signal path and colour the sound. You would have to be careful with the B&O volume control not to overdrive the AD converter (and produce digital clipping) Also tone controls could produce this overdrive.
A different approach is to use the same output that goes to a tape recorder into the AD converter. You could not use the B&O remote for other that switching inputs (no volume, tone, balance, effects) on the Beosystem, but you could still use your Beosystem. You'd then use Spark for volume control.

thx! That does sounds pretty painful. I would just look for a passive b&o speaker instead then Big Grin
You could also use a line-out bluetooth adapter from a beosystem (maybe leverage a headphone out if no lineout) and connect to Phantom that way. Just find a acceptable output level from the bluetooth adapter and then use Spark volume moving forward. Not the best way, but a simple consideration.

Edit: the 6500 user manual shows it has line-out and headphone out. Not sure if the line out requires a proprietary cable, or accepts standard cables though. But there is the headphone out available.
Phantoms have lag so that may create some integration problems.