Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereophile Recommended Components 2020 Edition (Expert 140 Pro)
Well I can't seem to find any discussion re: the Stereophile benediction, but this should be solid for our resale values.  Glad I held on to mine!

Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/reco...-receivers

Devialet Expert 140 Pro: $6490

Two years after his first Devialet experience—sharing a Paris apartment with two Gold Phantom speakers—Jim Austin spent time with the manufacturer's integrated, the Expert Pro, in entry-level guise. Essentially a 140Wpc integrated amp with a built-in streaming DAC, the Devialet utilizes a unique output section that links Class-D with class-A circuitry that, in the manufacturer's words, "corrects and completes" the signal. Support for Roon, Qobuz, and Tidal—the latter two via UPnP—is also built in. The Expert 140 Pro comes with an "unusual" remote control—a large volume knob and three small buttons; alternatively, the user can download Devialet's smartphone/tablet-friendly Devialet Expert Remote app. Only one analog input (RCA) is provided, and it can be programmed to serve as an MM/MC phono stage—although all incoming signals are processed in the digital domain. JCA noted the amp's "remarkable sense of openness," combined with "impressive" bass weight and a pleasing freedom from editorializing: "It [was] honest, evenhanded, liquid, open." Apart from bemoaning its "complex" setup scheme, JCA considered the Expert 140 Pro "an easy recommendation." Technical Editor JA admired the DAC section's "almost 20 bits worth of resolution," but he noted higher than expected levels of background noise. (Vol.42 No.12 WWW)
Higher than expected backround noise?
(02-Apr-2020, 06:52)markush Wrote: Higher than expected backround noise?

I'm just relaying the message, this is a good thing generally but it is...curious haha.
markush Wrote:Higher than expected background noise?

This refers to the detailed measurements made by John Atkinson as part of the full 140 Pro review published in Stereophile.

See link below for full details:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/devi...asurements
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(02-Apr-2020, 10:20)Confused Wrote:

This refers to the detailed measurements made by John Atkinson as part of the full 140 Pro review published in Stereophile.

I'm wondering what the variance is if we were [CORRECTED] to examine multiple units.  I had the shop test the first Expert 140 Pro they brought out, and the CI board was acting up.  Perhaps I don't understand what's going on.  I like what I hear.  I've found that returning to USB and perfecting the chain there yields substantial results.
awkaplan Wrote:
Confused Wrote:

I'm wondering what the variance is if were were to examine multiple units.  I had the shop test the first Expert 140 Pro they brought out, and the CI board was acting up.  Perhaps I don't understand what's going on.  I like what I hear.  I've found that returning to USB and perfecting the chain there yields substantial results.

It is worth noting that the "bad" noise as highlighted in the Stereophile measurements was via the analogue inputs, so is not applicable to a case such as yours when feeding via USB.

As an aside, I do use the analogue inputs on my 1000 Pro, specifically for the front channel feed from surround sound processor.  Subjectively, it does sound a little "softer" via this input, it certainly lacks the laser like clarity compared to feeding the Devialet digitally.  Of course, this may be due to the DAC in the processor, may be due to the 3m long cable I need to achieve this, it may be due to the Devialet's ADC, who knows..  It still sounds pretty good with movies though, and it is the ultimate performance when running 2 channel with a digital feed that I really care about.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(02-Apr-2020, 11:51)Confused Wrote:
awkaplan Wrote:
Confused Wrote:This refers to the detailed measurements made by John Atkinson as part of the full 140 Pro review published in Stereophile.

I'm wondering what the variance is if were were to examine multiple units.  I had the shop test the first Expert 140 Pro they brought out, and the CI board was acting up.  Perhaps I don't understand what's going on.  I like what I hear.  I've found that returning to USB and perfecting the chain there yields substantial results.

It is worth noting that the "bad" noise as highlighted in the Stereophile measurements was via the analogue inputs, so is not applicable to a case such as yours when feeding via USB.

As an aside, I do use the analogue inputs on my 1000 Pro, specifically for the front channel feed from surround sound processor.  Subjectively, it does sound a little "softer" via this input, it certainly lacks the laser like clarity compared to feeding the Devialet digitally.  Of course, this may be due to the DAC in the processor, may be due to the 3m long cable I need to achieve this, it may be due to the Devialet's ADC, who knows..  It still sounds pretty good with movies though, and it is the ultimate performance when running 2 channel with a digital feed that I really care about.

Yes, and I've found that USB is easiest to control (I keep the endpoint isolated, reducing USB noise has been easier for me), but figure that, like the power cable topic, the Expert Pro probably is interconnect-sensitive as well.  I haven't gone there yet, but have entertained it.  I have to say that a recent 3m run of Cardas Clear Beyond mains has been transformative.  Went with Cardas for USB as well and enjoy it.  I finally decided to do what I swore I'd never do: I ordered some cable risers!
Cable elevators are certainly much better than elevator cables! Wink

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1