Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
comparison of premium AES/EBU vs USB cables on D400
I am currently comparing a Kubala Sosna Elation AES/EBU cable 1m (MSRP $2,700) with 200+ hours on it, and
a Kubala Sosna Realization USB cable 1m (MSRP $3,500) with 100-120 hours, 
connecting my Bryston BDP-1 streamer with upgraded fuses to the master unit of my D400.

For comparison, I am using 6-7 albums, which I had in high-res flac files, and DSD64 versions of the
same albums produced by the same recording company.

It seems as though there is a veil when playing DSD64 through the Realization USB cable.
The clarity improves when I start streaming the high-res flac version of the same song through the  Realization USB cable,
and then improves further when I use the Elation AES/EBU cable to stream the high-res version directly.

Has anyone else had the same experience when comparing premium AES/EBU and USB cables by the 
same high-end company?

Is it because the DSD64 is internally converted to PCM style in the D200 master, as opposed to being played natively?

Or is the USB output on my BDP-1 not as good as the AES/EBU output?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
Question, I have looked but couldn't find answer, can you use DSD64 through the AES/EBU input on the Devialet?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(02-Aug-2015, 17:44)baddog Wrote: Question, I have looked but couldn't find answer, can you use DSD64 through the AES/EBU input on the Devialet?

Yes you can.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks I will have to give this a listen once I get a new streamer....
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(02-Aug-2015, 17:44)baddog Wrote: Question, I have looked but couldn't find answer, can you use DSD64 through the AES/EBU input on the Devialet?

If I am correct you can play DSD 64 on all of the digital inputs on the Devialet. I have tested usb and aes/ebu with my Aries.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Thanks - sadly my Aries just went bye bye as I have become addicted to Roon. Now my interest has moved to the Sonore μRendu and it's planned Roon Speaker support....

I know that will be a bit of a wait.
SXSW, US