Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does anyone use subwoofers in their setup?
How do I have to measure the distance to calculate the delay for the front speakers? My subwoofer is a side firing system. Do I have to measure to the middle of the chassis? or just to the front of the subwoofer which is more or less the edge of the chassis?

Thanks!
I don't think that you can calculate this. You don't know about the internal delays of the electronics in the sub. You can either measure the impulse response and the delay of the speakers and the sub seperately or simply experiment with the delay until the sub has the max. pressure.
e.g. my B&W DB1 needs to be set to a phase of 90 degrees, even if it is placed between the speakers on the same line.
i was trying to write a guide for how to time align your sub with the mains like i did with the left/right channel guide but honestly, i cant figure out a proper way to do it other than playing an 80hz test tone on repeat and moving the sub/s until it sounds right.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I had a pair of SVS SB2000 subs in my system for a year. It drastically helped my system when I had speakers that needed the "support" on the low end. I sold them when I bought my current speakers as the benefits were simply too minor to justify them (for they types of music I listen to most frequently). That being said, when I did have them there was a continual tweaking and testing going on - it was a lot of fun. Cross over frequency: I had ranged anywhere from 40 Hz to 200 Hz; XO Slope mixed and matched 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th. Sub placement and measurement with REQ. There were always room modes so getting smooth response at listening position (even with multiple subs) was rough. I wound up getting a frequency response +/- 5dB at the listening position from 20 - 500 Hz finally with some home made bass traps. As for phase I simply used a string to ensure the distance to listening position was always the same.
Devialet 400; KEF Reference 3; custom built Server 2012 with JRiver & Audiophile Optimizer; med grade wall socket; 10 AWG speaker cable bi-wire & un-terminated; AudioQuest Carbon USB with Jitterbug; Shunyata Venom 3 power cables.
One thing I noticed consistently when I used a sub was that my D200 ran noticeably cooler. . .does this make sense? Given that it is now driving multiple sub-woofers I was surprised.
arent your subwoofers self powered? so once you set a crossover your main speakers no longer have to be driven for the low frequencies which are the most power hungry!
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I own Quad ESL since 1981 combined with subs. Nowadays I own 3 self powered subs: Rel studio (€7.000), Stentor (€4.800) and Stadium (€ 2.800). In one room I combine the Stentor with the ESL loudspeakers Quad 2812 (the newest) since march 2015 (€9.800). The Stentor is active filtered by Devialet200(€6.995): low-pass 37Hz 24 db/oct, the Quads are coming in at 37 Hz 12 db/oct. After more than 30 years (!) this is the first time I can say that the active way of the set-up is better than the Rel advice in which the Rel-amplifier is connected in parallel with the speakers. And the Quads can now play so loud, you can feel it on your chest...... The dev gets hot (60C) but no problem at all. Of course I tried even 3 subs in one room (100m2); nice but no need for it. The Quads are now in a very very little room: 28 m2. That's why I combine it with the Stentor (48kg) and not the Studio (93kg). When Devialet comes with 5.1 software I buy the Phantom as surrounds (now Kef). 2016?
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

Is there any way to change the speakers delay at runtime? So that I could "scroll" the delay time while it's playing music?
i havent seen a way. only through the configurator.
(11-Nov-2015, 17:24)technikspezi Wrote: Is there any way to change the speakers delay at runtime? So that I could "scroll" the delay time while it's playing music?

I asked Devialet for this exact feature—sure would make setup a lot easier...