Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help me decide
what would you pick out of these?  
I am trying to get a set of amps for my Focal Sopra 2. I use Roon exclusively. There are some used units available, as well as some demo ones from dealers in my area:

1) a set of older Premiers.  They are 2 units of different ages put together, to create a D500. No network card.  I will need to use a streamer for Roon

2) a set of D440 pro: demo units at a dealer.  Discounted, about $4000 USD more than 1)

3) D140 pro: used unit, about $3000 USD.

what do you think?
thanks
Option 2 unless you are going to buy Option 1 and get them upgraded to a 1000 Pro so they become Roon Ready.
(13-Nov-2020, 15:13)burgundy Wrote: what would you pick out of these?  
I am trying to get a set of amps for my Focal Sopra 2. I use Roon exclusively. There are some used units available, as well as some demo ones from dealers in my area:

1) a set of older Premiers.  They are 2 units of different ages put together, to create a D500. No network card.  I will need to use a streamer for Roon

2) a set of D440 pro: demo units at a dealer.  Discounted, about $4000 USD more than 1)

what do you think?
thanks

Option 2, used a D440 with my Focal Sopra 2s, brilliant performance 

As Laura said only option 1 if you intend upgrading them
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.
(13-Nov-2020, 16:28)Dannythered Wrote:

what do you think?
thanks

Danny, how do you compare the D1000pro that you have now with the 440? pairing with sopra 2?
(13-Nov-2020, 16:55)burgundy Wrote:
(13-Nov-2020, 16:28)Dannythered Wrote:

what do you think?
thanks

Danny, how do you compare the D1000pro that you have now with the 440? pairing with sopra 2?

I was more than happy with my set up D440 to Sopra2 but the opportunity to upgrade came at a great price, a steal if I say, so I couldn’t resist. Is it better? Yes. How much? Hard to say. Am I happy with the upgrade? Yes, but I was happy before, it’s not night and day. The D440 is very capable and I would have stuck there if the opportunity hadn’t arisen
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.

what do you think?
thanks

As an owner of the Pro 440 and having heard the Focal Sopra 2s, I'd definitely recommend the 440.  You don't indicate any intention of taking the Premiers to a higher level, but if finances are not a restriction then, yes, the 1000 Pro would be a great, albeit pricey, move.   My guess is that if you went with the D140 Pro, it would sound great but you'd always wonder how much better the 440 would sound.   The Premiers would sound great, but if you're using Roon, you definitely will want Pro.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
440 Pro, definitely. Having dual monos and the distortion levels go down is actually an audible difference. I went from 220 to 440 and happy that I did. Was it worth the extra cost of the additional unit? Subjectively yes, but objectively hard to measure. Smile
If you plan to spend the extra to upgrade the D-Premiers to a 1000 Pro, you would essentially get a new 1000 Pro with all new internals and warranty. I'd check how the price of upgrading the D-Premiers compares to buying an upgraded 1000 Pro.

If you don't plan to upgrade the D-Premiers, then I'd go for the 440 Pro. It should still have resale value if you ever feel the itch to go 1000 Pro in the future.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(14-Nov-2020, 10:29)hardcore Wrote: If you plan to spend the extra to upgrade the D-Premiers to a 1000 Pro, you would essentially get a new 1000 Pro with all new internals and warranty. I'd check how the price of upgrading the D-Premiers compares to buying an upgraded 1000 Pro.

If you don't plan to upgrade the D-Premiers, then I'd go for the 440 Pro. It should still have resale value if you ever feel the itch to go 1000 Pro in the future.

The price to upgrade to D1000pro is about the same as getting a demo unit of D440 pro here.

Sounds like a pair of D-Premiers configured to D500 is not going to be as good as the D440 pro.
Is that the feeling on the forum here?
definitly not, Pro is clearly better. I had all versions starting from a single D-Premier to a D800 and then 1000 Pro.
440 Pro is the hotspot in the line-up. 1000 pro is better but for a price.