Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how long for buffer?
Quote:Yeah, this is how I have it set up, but I am getting drop-outs once in a while. I was considering trying to directly connect the PC to the Devialet via Ethernet, avoiding the Router altogether, as described here: http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Direct-co...rnet-Cable

However, I believe this means both the Devialet and the PC will not be on my network and I won't be able to use JRemote, or the Devialet iOS remote.

I've got a direct Ethernet link between my Mac Mini and the 250, but I also have drop-outs once in a while and usually after about 2 hours; no drop-outs during the first hour.
(02-Jul-2014, 13:39)Confused Wrote: One point to note, if you run the buffer over 2000ms, AIR cuts out after about 5 secound if you stream 24 / 196 files. I think something, somewhere, runs out of memory. Also, longer buffers are just a little bit anoying, and I am not aware of any firm evidence that they improve sound quality at all. So if everthing is stable, keep it low!

This is actually a very interesting observation, which may be directly related to the thread discussing the "occasional white noise" problem. And it may indeed point to AIR's memory issues. It is, of course, system specific, as I recall I was able to play 24/192 with a 3000 ms buffer, without any systematic issues. Devialet used to recommend longer buffer settings for improved streaming stability, at least, when WiFi is used. I think you should let Devialet know about this quirk. They WERE willing to do a phone debugging session with me, but I can't recreate my streaming problems at will. It sounds like you can, at least this one.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
Does anyone know where the buffer we're discussing here is located? Is it part of the AIR application (allocated to it by the operating system), or is it actually part of the amplifier itself?
Incidentally, if it's the former (AIR), making the buffer longer is not likely to help with the issues related to network stability, since if the communication between AIR and Devilaet is momentarily broken, the data sitting in AIR's buffer won't be of any help.
@AlexS, the buffer discussed in this topic is the buffer you can set in AIR. Go to settings of AIR and press 'unlock advanced settings'. You can then set the 'target device buffer'.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(05-Jul-2014, 02:13)AlexS Wrote:
(02-Jul-2014, 13:39)Confused Wrote: One point to note, if you run the buffer over 2000ms, AIR cuts out after about 5 secound if you stream 24 / 196 files. I think something, somewhere, runs out of memory. Also, longer buffers are just a little bit anoying, and I am not aware of any firm evidence that they improve sound quality at all. So if everthing is stable, keep it low!

This is actually a very interesting observation, which may be directly related to the thread discussing the "occasional white noise" problem. And it may indeed point to AIR's memory issues. It is, of course, system specific, as I recall I was able to play 24/192 with a 3000 ms buffer, without any systematic issues. Devialet used to recommend longer buffer settings for improved streaming stability, at least, when WiFi is used. I think you should let Devialet know about this quirk. They WERE willing to do a phone debugging session with me, but I can't recreate my streaming problems at will. It sounds like you can, at least this one.

Actually, I think this is a slightly different issue, i.e. AIR cuts out completely (diables). No white noise! Nothing, silence!
(10-Jul-2014, 16:37)Antoine Wrote: @AlexS, the buffer discussed in this topic is the buffer you can set in AIR. Go to settings of AIR and press 'unlock advanced settings'. You can then set the 'target device buffer'.

Antoine, yes, I know where to set it. But I'm really curious where this buffer is physically located: in Devialet itself (which would make the most sense), or in the computer, as part of the AIR application.

(10-Jul-2014, 18:31)Confused Wrote: Actually, I think this is a slightly different issue, i.e. AIR cuts out completely (diables). No white noise! Nothing, silence!

Brian, the issue may be different by the sound of it, but I won't be surprised if they are related. Come to think about it, a SHORT buffer may lead to dropouts (not enough data buffered to compensate for network instability), but why would a LONG buffer cause silence? There is one logical explanation: faulty memory management of the AIR application!
@AlexS, I misunderstood. Blush When I received my WiFi module/kit I took a picture of it. There is a SDRAM buffer memory on the WiFi card in the Devialet. It's a single Micron 48LC16M16A2(-7E) chip of 32MByte.

To determine if that's really a or the buffer you could disconnect your ethernet cable, when the Devialet keeps playing after setting a high buffer you know that's the active buffer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Some interesting ideas recently. This weekend I can play with both long and short buffers, unplugging Ethernet cables and more! The unplugging Ethernet idea is a good one, I always like very simple things that are actually quite smart and logical. It will only need one of us to try it though, and the truth will be known, facts established. Perhaps I should give it a go rather than wasting time on a forum? (although to be honest, it's been a long day and I really can't be bothered at the moment)
Haha, sorry I could have tried as well but I'm still a bit 'down' after The Netherlands loosing the semi finals of the WC soccer yesterday! Angry Wink

The Netherlands
(10-Jul-2014, 22:16)Antoine Wrote: Haha, sorry I could have tried as well but I'm still a bit 'down' after The Netherlands loosing the semi finals of the WC soccer yesterday! Angry Wink

Be happy.... At least you guys made past the second game in the first round. Plus a very creditable penalty shoot out victory in the previous game. It has been a very long time since anyone from England or the Netherlands has enjoyed one of those........