Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to switch sample rate/bit depth (OS X)?
Anyone have an easier solution than going into the Audio MIDI Setup each time? I've seen reference to a couple of menu bar solutions -- AudioSwitcher and AudioMate -- any others out there? Since I'm running iTunes on a headless Mac mini, a simple solution that is easy to use via iPad running Screens would be nice.

I'm very sad that AIR 3 does not automatically switch, unlike AIR 2...
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(01-May-2017, 05:24)flohmann Wrote: Anyone have an easier solution than going into the Audio MIDI Setup each time? I've seen reference to a couple of menu bar solutions -- AudioSwitcher and AudioMate -- any others out there? Since I'm running iTunes on a headless Mac mini, a simple solution that is easy to use via iPad running Screens would be nice.

I use bitperfect (available in the Mac App store) together with iTunes. Alternative players like Roon or Audirvana can directly feed the DAC in the Dev (integer mode) and switch to the source sample rate and bit depth, if you don't prefer upsampling and filtering on the Mac for whatever you prefer to do that.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(01-May-2017, 09:27)Krisp Wrote:
(01-May-2017, 05:24)flohmann Wrote: Anyone have an easier solution than going into the Audio MIDI Setup each time? I've seen reference to a couple of menu bar solutions -- AudioSwitcher and AudioMate -- any others out there? Since I'm running iTunes on a headless Mac mini, a simple solution that is easy to use via iPad running Screens would be nice.

I use bitperfect (available in the Mac App store) together with iTunes. Alternative players like Roon or Audirvana can directly feed the DAC in the Dev (integer mode) and switch to the source sample rate and bit depth, if you don't prefer upsampling and filtering on the Mac for whatever you prefer to do that.

I have used bitperfect too but it crashes rather often on my iMac. I have Audirvana+ on my laptop which does switch sample rates and has other benefits in hogging computer resources for music and integrating Quobuz but is more expensive.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(01-May-2017, 13:11)f1eng Wrote: I have used bitperfect too but it crashes rather often on my iMac. I have Audirvana+ on my laptop which does switch sample rates and has other benefits in hogging computer resources for music and integrating Quobuz but is more expensive.

Hi f1eng,

Try to switch “Use Maximum Device Buffer Size” off within bitperfect. It solved my problems when I played albums with different resolutions. Bitperfect stopped working when the resolution changes, now with the option turned off, it works flawlessly.

(01-May-2017, 13:44)Krisp Wrote:
(01-May-2017, 13:11)f1eng Wrote: I have used bitperfect too but it crashes rather often on my iMac. I have Audirvana+ on my laptop which does switch sample rates and has other benefits in hogging computer resources for music and integrating Quobuz but is more expensive.

Hi f1eng,

Try to switch “Use Maximum Device Buffer Size” off within bitperfect. It solved my problems when I played albums with different resolutions.  Bitperfect stopped working when the resolution changes, now with the option turned off, it works flawlessly.

Thanks I will try that, though my problem has not been when it changes resolution but crashing of bitperfect itself, and it seems not to be gapless - not much use for a lot of my favourite recordings - I will look into both.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

When I play directly from iTunes, I use Pure Music to switch sample rate:

http://www.channld.com/puremusic/

PM  is explicitly designed for iTunes. Besides, it also has an excellent SQ. Usually I disable DSP and play with the original sample rate of the recording.
(01-May-2017, 13:44)Krisp Wrote:

Hi f1eng,

Try to switch “Use Maximum Device Buffer Size” off within bitperfect. It solved my problems when I played albums with different resolutions.  Bitperfect stopped working when the resolution changes, now with the option turned off, it works flawlessly.

I have checked now (don't stream much) and mine had "Use maximum device buffer size" already disabled. I have left bitperfect running and it hasn't crashed yet today...
Oxfordshire

Thanks everyone for the Bitperfect recommendation. Working well for me so far!
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.