Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iOS App is unstable, or is it?
This is an issue that has emerged in the firmware 12.3.0 thread and has been mentioned in a few other topics recently.  I thought I would start a new thread to see if we can solve this one because I now know it has little to do with firmware versions.

Last night I tried a little experiment.  I collected together four IOS devices, loaded the Devialet app onto those devices that did not already have it, reloaded the app onto those devices that did have it, to make sure the app versions are identical.  All devices were connected to the same wifi network and controlling the same Devialet amp.  The only variable here is the IOS device itself.  The results were interesting, as follows:

iPhone 5 - app 100% stable for over one hour
iPhone 6 Plus - app unstable, dropping out and reconnecting every few minutes
iPad AIR 2 - app unstable, dropping out and reconnecting every few minutes
iPhone 7 - app 100% stable for over one hour

Unfortunately, I do not have a latest iPhone 8 or X to try, but I am intrigued that in the above mini test it was the oldest and the newest device that proved stable (the iPhone 5 and 7), the "middle-aged" devices were very unstable. (iPhone 6 Plus and iPad AIR 2).

So I am guessing it is some kind of incompatibility issue with certain iOS devices, or maybe a particular setting in IOS.  For the record, the unstable iPhone 6 Plus and the stable iPhone 7 were running identical / latest versions of iOS.  (iOS 11.4)

So it is nothing to do with the Devialet, network or wifi, this was a constant for the four devices tried here.  It has to be an incompatibility with some aspect of the iOS device itself.

Any ideas?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Jun-2018, 08:45)Confused Wrote: This is an issue that has emerged in the firmware 12.3.0 thread and has been mentioned in a few other topics recently.  I thought I would start a new thread to see if we can solve this one because I now know it has little to do with firmware versions.

Last night I tried a little experiment.  I collected together four IOS devices, loaded the Devialet app onto those devices that did not already have it, reloaded the app onto those devices that did have it, to make sure the app versions are identical.  All devices were connected to the same wifi network and controlling the same Devialet amp.  The only variable here is the IOS device itself.  The results were interesting, as follows:

Unfortunately, I do not have a latest iPhone 8 or X to try, but I am intrigued that in the above mini test it was the oldest and the newest device that proved stable (the iPhone 5 and 7), the "middle-aged" devices were very unstable. (iPhone 6 Plus and iPad AIR 2).

So I am guessing it is some kind of incompatibility issue with certain iOS devices, or maybe a particular setting in IOS.  For the record, the unstable iPhone 6 Plus and the stable iPhone 7 were running identical / latest versions of iOS.  (iOS 11.4)

So it is nothing to do with the Devialet, network or wifi, this was a constant for the four devices tried here.  It has to be an incompatibility with some aspect of the iOS device itself.

Any ideas?
I have an iPad Air 2 and have never had problems with the Devialet App - which suggests that the problem with the Devialet App may be at the individual device level.  A few months ago, I was noticing all sorts of problems with my iPad (but not with the Devialet App). A complete factory reset, and reloading only those apps I was actually using has made a big difference in performance.
(24-Jun-2018, 09:06)Will Wrote:
(24-Jun-2018, 08:45)Confused Wrote: This is an issue that has emerged in the firmware 12.3.0 thread and has been mentioned in a few other topics recently.  I thought I would start a new thread to see if we can solve this one because I now know it has little to do with firmware versions.

Any ideas?
I have an iPad Air 2 and have never had problems with the Devialet App - which suggests that the problem with the Devialet App may be at the individual device level.  A few months ago, I was noticing all sorts of problems with my iPad (but not with the Devialet App). A complete factory reset, and reloading only those apps I was actually using has made a big difference in performance.

That suggests it could be what's on the individual devices that can have a negative effect on the Devialet or other apps. Confused, it's time for another test; delete all apps off all 4 devices, install the Devialet app and re-do the test.  Good luck  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Are they all using the same frequency wi-fi? I have 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled on my routers(s) and randomly connect to either.  5GHz has a worse range, though 2.4GHz tends to be more congested with neighbouring access points, which may cause issues too.
(24-Jun-2018, 10:56)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Are they all using the same frequency wi-fi? I have 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled on my routers(s) and randomly connect to either.  5GHz has a worse range, though 2.4GHz tends to be more congested with neighbouring access points, which may cause issues too.

This is probably the test to start with. If you can’t easily force the devices on one freq or the other, just disable each in turn and try all devices on the active one. That said I’m not 100% on whether all devices listed can connect over 802.11ac. I don’t think he mentioned the wifi AP make/model?

Of course Confused May only have in frequency active on his WiFi.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hello, here is my setup:
Vodafone cable, 400/25 Mbit/s
Router AVM FritzBox 6590 - Keces Power Supply
Switch Cisco 8 port - Keces Power Supply
Lan Cable Audioquest Diamond
iPhone X - Stable, without crashes
iPhone 7 - dito
iPad Pro - dito
IOS11.4 - all devices
2.4 or 5 Ghz, no problems.
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
I have a TP-link c3150. 2.4 & 5ghz. (Into superhub 3 modem mode).
Previously used the virgin superhubs 2 & 3 built in, and also sometimes run another tplink access point for the garden.
Various devices and iOS versions.
Never had a problem with the iOS app.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Jun-2018, 10:56)Pim Wrote:
(24-Jun-2018, 09:06)Will Wrote: I have an iPad Air 2 and have never had problems with the Devialet App - which suggests that the problem with the Devialet App may be at the individual device level.  A few months ago, I was noticing all sorts of problems with my iPad (but not with the Devialet App). A complete factory reset, and reloading only those apps I was actually using has made a big difference in performance.

That suggests it could be what's on the individual devices that can have a negative effect on the Devialet or other apps. Confused, it's time for another test; delete all apps off all 4 devices, install the Devialet app and re-do the test.  Good luck  Tongue

Sorry Pim, I've been a little busy today watching the mighty England annihilate the opposition 6:1 in the World Cup and Lewis Hamilton trashing the opposition in the French Grand Prix. Shy 

Maybe later ...... Angel
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Jun-2018, 18:09)Confused Wrote:
(24-Jun-2018, 10:56)Pim Wrote:
(24-Jun-2018, 09:06)Will Wrote: I have an iPad Air 2 and have never had problems with the Devialet App - which suggests that the problem with the Devialet App may be at the individual device level.  A few months ago, I was noticing all sorts of problems with my iPad (but not with the Devialet App). A complete factory reset, and reloading only those apps I was actually using has made a big difference in performance.

Sorry Pim, I've been a little busy today watching the mighty England annihilate the opposition 6:1 in the World Cup and Lewis Hamilton trashing the opposition in the French Grand Prix. Shy 

Maybe later ...... Angel

Well, I do not think England and Panama are playing on one level Angel Wink
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria