Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
improving SQ using optical connection?
Just wondering how people have found the optical connection to the Phantom.

For some months I have been using my optical output on mac mini direct into my single phantom and controlling music with Jriver or Audirvana. That has been good and I haven't detected any real difference in SQ between that and playing tunes through spark, it is just more convenient for me as I prefer those players.

My second phantom has arrived this evening so from now on I will be going through dialog.

Because I am interested in audio I want to try and get the best out of these speakers.

I just wonder if anyone has been experimenting with optical inputs to get the best out of this speaker. For example, I have ordered some Supra optical cable to see if that makes a difference. I also plan to try using one of the decent USB to SPDIF connectors that has optical.

Does anyone know of a high-end card that has an optical output? I would consider building a music server around that if it seems like it will deliver something.
For Toslink I use Audioquest Vodka (75cm); I found SQ more vivid...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I read good things about that cable @jvi. Do you find using the optical input better than Spark/wifi?

Also, what are you feeding it with - laptop, desktop?
I never used wifi (to unstable). I use a Simple Audio Roomplayer+ to feed the Dialog. Music selection is done with the SARP desktop application, inclusive music on my NAS. It's quite satisfying for me. Although I hope Devialet will come soon with an adequate DLNA solution.

I use an ifi ilink USB to SPDIF and optical converter, and then a optical cable from my pc (stationary, win 7). The optical (toslink) cable goes into the Phantom. The Dialog only gets AC and and RJ45 cable. Works like a charm. I think that the delay when connecting directly to the Phantom is slightly less than when connecting to the Dialog, but I have not been able to verify this.
It would be ideal for me if Spark would read directly from my NAS.  In the meantime I use an optical (toslink) cable from a Sonos Connect to my Dialog.  Sound Quality is outstanding (but limited to CD quality).  Technically it should be better than using Bluetooth as there is no compression involved.

I would not worry about the quality of the optical cable: if it works, it will work perfectly.
@read directly from Nas@ In Windows it works but you have to change the "user path" value in the Windows register. I already informed the Devialet Support Desk.
There still is a "but" ...the Spark display is alfabeticle; so with a lot of artists/albums you will have to do a lot of scrolling...

(22-Sep-2015, 16:11)curban Wrote: I use an ifi ilink USB to SPDIF and optical converter, and then a optical cable from my pc (stationary, win 7). The optical (toslink) cable goes into the Phantom. The Dialog only gets AC and and RJ45 cable. Works like a charm. I think that the delay when connecting directly to the Phantom is slightly less than when connecting to the Dialog, but I have not been able to verify this.
I've just ordered an Ifi ilink myself!

I have just installed my second phantom after using a single for a while. I also have ethernet and power into the dialog, with optical into one of the phantoms.

My initial tests indicate that the optical input sounds a little better than playing straight through spark/wifi - the treble just a little less grainy and slightly lower noise floor. It is pretty marginal but that is going direct from the mac mini toslink port. I expect that to improve further with the ifi in place.

Unforunately the optical input of my dialog broke when I was setting it up (the little plastic hinge flap broke off). I would like to compare optical into the dialog too to see if it makes any difference.
RE "Unforunately the optical input of my dialog broke when I was setting it up (the little plastic hinge flap broke off). "
Is anyone else finding build quality problems like this?
THey replaced it for me very quickly. I'm not sure this particular problem is indicative of build quality issues with devialet so much as an aspect of how toslink ports are designed. I quick search of the web shows many people experiencing something similar with products from all sorts of manufacturers - just every now and then a plastic flap fails.