Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is Devialet a lifestyle product
(10-Nov-2020, 16:56)vgbfamily Wrote:
(10-Nov-2020, 16:51)vgbfamily Wrote:
Beautiful set-up, vgbfamily- how do you run the speaker cables?
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
Thanks for your comments.
The cables are very thin and run behind the wall where the second Pro Is also hanging. 
Probably one of the very few Expert located in a garage...
Regards,
Fred
Pro 1000, High Fidelity speaker cables, B&W 800d2 bi-amplified, Niagara 3000, Nuprime SW8, rj45 Vovox Excelsus, Qobuz Sublime, JRiver 27
Wow- your garage is prettier than my lounge room!
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
@Damon 's mention of Mcintosh amps and D'Agnostino amps reminded me of something that Mathieu Pernot said at one of the Oxford Audio events a couple of years ago.  With a bit of hunting, I found the words I posted at the time: (July 2018)

I was talking to Mathieu and we were both looking around the shop at the various products on display.  We happened to be looking at a selection of amps, and were talking about the new Acoustic Research REF160's and some big Musical Fidelity amps.  I commented on the REF160's, because they look surprising big in the flesh, huge in fact.

Mathieu made a comment that they thought the Expert range would sell better in the US if it was bigger, apparently a lot of potential US customers somehow cannot accept that the tiny slim Devialet's can be pushing out 1000w RMS, or maybe they just prefer "big".  Mathieu said something along the lines of "it might have sold better if we had just put it into a much bigger case."

Oddly enough, if they did make a Devialet in a bigger case, with lots of cooling fins to keep temperatures in check, and the opportunity to space out the PSU, phono stage etc. to improve performance, this is something I might quite like myself.  I'm not sure if blue backlit power meters would suit though.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(10-Nov-2020, 09:07)Pim Wrote: I went to a Magnepan dealer a month or so ago because I happened to be in the neighbourhood. It's 700km away from where I live and I've been wanting to go there for years. I came unprepared so he set up a Nuprime pre and two mono amps.

He chose Nuprime because they're Class D and, as he said "Devialet is also Class D so it will sound similar".

As soon as the music started I knew it wasn't anything like what I get from my Expert Pro. I told him it sounded like what I've always read Class D is supposed to sound like; Sterile. He changed to a tube amp and it sounded much more like my Expert. My conclusion is that Devialet doesn't sound like Class D but more like a tube amp. BTW, the tube amp didn't sound mushy at all.

I've also listened to different speakers with my Expert driving them elsewhere and, so far, I haven't heard anything better yet. That doesn't mean there's nothing better around but it does show that the Experts are pretty damn good.

As for the way it looks; I've always wanted to have some big mono blocks but instead I have these pizza boxes. To be honest, they don't fit into the 'lifestyle' I had planned.

I love Nuprime...have the IDA-8, and had the IDA-16 for 5 years.  It was replaced about 2-3 weeks ago by Expert Pro 440. 

In the first 30 seconds there was NO COMPARISON with the devialet! 

The nuprime is great for what it is...$2600 for 200w x 2 channel intrgrated dac.  It is now in the master bedroom running the LS50s.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I got the expert pro 440.  How much of a difference would it REALLY make over the IDA-16, especially when I don't play at super loud volume that often (where the extra watts would come in).

Everything was just soooo much better on the devialet. 

In the end...do what YOU enjoy!  I don't care that I don't have huge racks of gear.  I LOVE the simplicity of 2 boxes and using my phone/ipad with roon to run my entire system. 

The simplicity of it all is amazing.  I can appreciate tube amps, 5 foot racks of gear, and cables galore.  But for me, I got what I enjoy. 

Puts a smile on my face every day (and every person that has listened to it so far as well...)

Enjoy!
-----
MAIN: Devialet Expert Pro 440, KEF R11, JL Audio Fathom 112v2, Niagara 1200, Audioquest Monsoon, NRG-Z3 cables, bi-wire Rocket 33.

BEDROOM: KEF LS-50, Nuprime IDA-16, Node 2i, JL Audio e-sub 110, Crystal Cables
GYM:  Devialet Reactor 900
EARS: Gemini on order, and custom JH Audio - JH13v2 Pro's
ROON running on 8-bay QNAP NAS for Tidal Streaming (no stored music)
(11-Nov-2020, 23:19)SoCalB Wrote:
(10-Nov-2020, 09:07)Pim Wrote: I went to a Magnepan dealer a month or so ago because I happened to be in the neighbourhood. It's 700km away from where I live and I've been wanting to go there for years. I came unprepared so he set up a Nuprime pre and two mono amps.

He chose Nuprime because they're Class D and, as he said "Devialet is also Class D so it will sound similar".

As soon as the music started I knew it wasn't anything like what I get from my Expert Pro. I told him it sounded like what I've always read Class D is supposed to sound like; Sterile. He changed to a tube amp and it sounded much more like my Expert. My conclusion is that Devialet doesn't sound like Class D but more like a tube amp. BTW, the tube amp didn't sound mushy at all.

I've also listened to different speakers with my Expert driving them elsewhere and, so far, I haven't heard anything better yet. That doesn't mean there's nothing better around but it does show that the Experts are pretty damn good.

As for the way it looks; I've always wanted to have some big mono blocks but instead I have these pizza boxes. To be honest, they don't fit into the 'lifestyle' I had planned.

I love Nuprime...have the IDA-8, and had the IDA-16 for 5 years.  It was replaced about 2-3 weeks ago by Expert Pro 440. 

In the first 30 seconds there was NO COMPARISON with the devialet! 

The nuprime is great for what it is...$2600 for 200w x 2 channel intrgrated dac.  It is now in the master bedroom running the LS50s.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I got the expert pro 440.  How much of a difference would it REALLY make over the IDA-16, especially when I don't play at super loud volume that often (where the extra watts would come in).

Everything was just soooo much better on the devialet. 

In the end...do what YOU enjoy!  I don't care that I don't have huge racks of gear.  I LOVE the simplicity of 2 boxes and using my phone/ipad with roon to run my entire system. 

The simplicity of it all is amazing.  I can appreciate tube amps, 5 foot racks of gear, and cables galore.  But for me, I got what I enjoy. 

Puts a smile on my face every day (and every person that has listened to it so far as well...)

Enjoy!

The Nuprime's I was listening to were the top model. They're not cheap so I expected more.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Not to jump too far off the tracks of the original topic, but I had a NuPrime IDA-16 in my office for about a year, with Amphion Argon 1 speakers. This is just to say that I had a very lone experience of that amp, comparable in power to my D220. I was also able to use the Amphions at home, with the Devialet. Though the boxes and power are very similar, and both are multi-fuctional integrated amps, they do sound different. The NuPrime is very clean, but is just not as complete or rounded a sound, and (shudder) the Devialet is simply more musical (there, I said it).

Back to the topic of the thread, I'm relating this to say that I personally believe the Devialet is an outstanding audio product, regardless of it's packaging. It fits into my 'small-set-of-wall-mounted-shelves-in-the-corner-where-you-can't-see-it' lifestyle. PSA: expect a shortage of hyphens and dashes this fall. Smile
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada