Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
it is alive - Devialet on Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA)
This is one of the most exciting things I have seen related to Devialet in a while.

A picture says it better than I can… https://imgur.com/a/tHbIeXQ

(in case the picture is lost or the imgur link does not render here
--- Caption: Devialet app shown running on a Windows 11 Desktop

[Image: tHbIeXQ]

Was painless to do, given a good hardware baseline.  The Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) requirements go above and beyond basic Windows 11 system requirements, such as a higher cpu and basic minimum graphics requirements. they are listed elsewhere not the point of this post.

In my case finding a good hardware baseline was the most painful part.  But stubbled on to a perfect host….
The newly release Windows Dev Kit 2023.  an arm device running windows 11.  Available today: Windows Dev Kit 2023 aka Project Volterra - Windows Developer Blog
I know, I know if you ever ran Windows RT from 2012 your probably rolling your eyes.  But 10 years later this right now is in the running to become my primary media pc (which is largely just used to play audio)
Plugged in a Topping D10s DAC (which I used for its TOSLINK) output with the Arch - and it just lit up and worked without any additional software or drivers in fact as soon as I plugged in the usb sound that was already playing just started coming from the speakers. Almost like magic.

The hardest part is getting it all setup.

And the only hackery involved (which these days is not really all that hackery) is finding the APK (the android install package)

“Cliff’s notes:”

1) Start from the Dev kit or equivalent hardware its easy. Available today: Windows Dev Kit 2023 aka Project Volterra - Windows Developer Blog
2) Power on the device.
3) Install the Amazon Appstore (this will trigger the WSA install) (use the Windows Store app search for Amazon Appstore)
4) Once you have the ‘amazon Appstore’ - check it out, install a game, I tried an old mahjong game that worked as well as ever. Now you know the WSA is installed and working.
5) Get the ADB tools SDK Platform Tools release notes  |  Android Developers – specifically: Download SDK Platform-Tools for Windows
6) Get the ‘Devialet app’ android APK - https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=ea8eead4d...YXpl&ntb=1  (the one I used is from APKPure, The 7 Best Sites for Safe Android APK Downloads (makeuseof.com))
7) Follow the steps in this article. How to sideload Android apps using WSA on Windows 11 | Windows Central
• Elevated CMD prompt (run as administrator)
• Adb connect <ipaddress>  (from the Developer blade in WSA settings) – note some older guides have out of date UX.
• Adb install <APK>
  • install success, is reported?  Bingo!!
• Goto the start menu and control your phantom speakers from your windows desktop!!!  

regards
scott-
Excellent! Thanks a lot for the guide!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Just found after the 1.20 update the WSA hosted app was unable to connect/find anything.

what i did to get it working again.

1) update, this is a manual process...Get the latest app APK 1.20 and install it using ADB again.

Symptom: after install, running the app still did not see any of the previously configured devices.
APP complained about no LOCATION services NO BT.

Symptom: appears like BT was not enabled, location services etc.
enable BT and Location services. still no joy hung up on the BT enablement. *(in the devialet app, says BT is not enabled)

2) Goto the WSA Settings. Enable Advanced Networking setting.
Start the app, it found the previous Devialet devices that were setup

Afterwards, turn off BT and Location services. (at your discretion / preference) seems to be ok.

but turning off the advanced network settings caused the app to fail to find any devices.

not sure if that's DUE a change in WSA (its been updated over the past few months) the Devialet APP or a combination of both. 

other than the Network settings change 1.20 is working under WSA ok here.
noticed on one of my Win11 machines the app was behind so got the latest apk.

of course  now the Win WSA settings UX is different.

Developer settings is a lot different.

in anycase the UX is all different no more port for the subsystem that i can find..?

I found this though https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/android/wsa/

Code:
adb connect 127.0.0.1:58526

That originally was denied to connect.
but when i tried it again after ack a security pop up with a RSA hash.
then it would let me connect.
and installed updated and see the new pretty splash screen...
yea!
hth!
(03-Nov-2022, 03:01)scotthar Wrote: This is one of the most exciting things I have seen related to Devialet in a while.
A picture says it better than I can… https://imgur.com/a/tHbIeXQ
(in case the picture is lost or the imgur link does not render here
--- Caption: Devialet app shown running on a Windows 11 Desktop
[Image: tHbIeXQ]
Was painless to do, given a good hardware baseline.  The Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) requirements go above and beyond basic Windows 11 system requirements, such as a higher cpu and basic minimum graphics requirements. they are listed elsewhere not the point of this post.
In my case finding a good hardware baseline was the most painful part.  But stubbled on to a perfect host….
The newly release Windows Dev Kit 2023.  an arm device running windows 11.  Available today: Windows Dev Kit 2023 aka Project Volterra - Windows Developer Blog
I know, I know if you ever ran Windows RT from 2012 your probably rolling your eyes.  But 10 years later this right now is in the running to become my primary media pc (which is largely just used to play audio)
Plugged in a Topping D10s DAC (which I used for its TOSLINK) output with the Arch - and it just lit up and worked without any additional software or drivers in fact as soon as I plugged in the usb sound that was already playing just started coming from the speakers. Almost like magic.
The hardest part is getting it all setup.
And the only hackery involved (which these days is not really all that hackery) is finding the APK (the android install package)
“Cliff’s notes:”
1) Start from the Dev kit or equivalent hardware its easy. Available today: Windows Dev Kit 2023 aka Project Volterra - Windows Developer Blog
2) Power on the device.
3) Install the Amazon Appstore (this will trigger the WSA install) (use the Windows Store app search for Amazon Appstore)
4) Once you have the ‘amazon Appstore’ - check it out, install a game, I tried an old mahjong game that worked as well as ever. Now you know the WSA is installed and working.
5) Get the ADB tools SDK Platform Tools release notes  |  Android Developers – specifically: Download SDK Platform-Tools for Windows
6) Get the ‘Devialet app’ android APK - https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=ea8eead4d...YXpl&ntb=1  (the one I used is from APKPure, The 7 Best Sites for Safe Android APK Downloads (makeuseof.com))
7) Follow the steps in this article. How to sideload Android apps using WSA on Windows 11 | Windows Central
• Elevated CMD prompt (run as administrator)
• Adb connect <ipaddress>  (from the Developer blade in WSA settings) – note some older guides have out of date UX.
• Adb install <APK>
  • install success, is reported?  Bingo!!
• Goto the start menu and control your phantom speakers from your windows desktop!!!  
regards
scott-

>>Scott, can you explain please:

What if I am just willing to try this on a Windows 11 PC... I just cant get past the Bluetooth connection in app...
WSA does not support bluetooth connection so how do you get to make the app work at all?
(03-Feb-2024, 01:25)alexandredp Wrote:
(03-Nov-2022, 03:01)scotthar Wrote: This is one of the most exciting things I have seen related to Devialet in a while.

>>Scott, can you explain please:

What if I am just willing to try this on a Windows 11 PC... I just cant get past the Bluetooth connection in app...
WSA does not support bluetooth connection so how do you get to make the app work at all?

HI there ! - sadly this no longer works - and even if it did work, the WSA is no longer supported. so double whammy.  as far as the devialet app its been broken with some of the updates past 1.20 and earlier versions cant find devices, so its all a dead end... aside from if you don't already have WSA installed not sure how its possible now.  i just use the Devialet API in an app from my windows boxes. it works for what i need but not as good as running the Devialet APP on the WSA,  (the Devialet API is STILL not finished.  It did get some fixes but its still not possible to do what you can do in the App via the API. So BOO> specifically no support for GROUPS.  BOO. but this thread is about Android and WSA, and thats a dead end all par for the course i guess...
sorry  but cant recommend this at all in any way at this point in time. should delete this post if that's even a thing. other than it did work and that was pretty cool for a short time...
bit of a redirect perhaps and a bit of a plug the app i mentioned is slacmdr,. its a cmd shell wrapper for the Devialet api for Windows. you can use it like a shell or to 'issue' an 'arbitrary' command to the system. It wont setup your system or let you bind groups together but you can select sources and set volume (even with a group you just cant change group bindings , aka multiroom) halrad.com there is a gui tray app but i dont use it as much it was more of what came out of learning the api to build slacmdr halrad.com it works for me in a variety of ways that help me avoid reaching for a phone. (which can really be annoying , where is that thing?) im not teathered to my phone, i can even leave the house without it...
Wink