Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
knocking sound on one side of the woofer domes
Hi,  since yesterday i am getting a knocking sound when the woofer dome operates.  Sound comes from only one side almost as if something is loose inside the speaker!  Anyone have a problem like this ?  any solution without opening ?
Do you hear the knocking sound regardless volume and frequency? If you gently push the woofer inwards without playing music, do you hear a scraping noise? Have you tried to turn the speaker upside down and listen for loose parts? Is the woofer dented?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(25-Dec-2021, 07:16)ragwo Wrote: Do you hear the knocking sound regardless volume and frequency? If you gently push the woofer inwards without playing music, do you hear a scraping noise? Have you tried to turn the speaker upside down and listen for loose parts? Is the woofer dented?

CAN hear the sound above of 40% vol and only when bass is high.  No scraping sound.  The woofer is a bit dented on the lower side but its a minor dent.  This problem happened suddenly.  I am suspecting the nut inside the dome has gotten loose.  But dont know how to open the dome to check.  Do you have information on opening the small dome ?
If you shake the speaker, do you hear a rattling sound? I've opened several Phantoms and you would be super unlucky to have a loose nut. Devialet uses generous amounts of locktite to secure the nut. If the nut is loose, you should be able to split the speaker in half if you remove the nut under the blue warranty void/do not open sticker hidden under the side panel of the speaker. If you have to remove the metal dust cap the easiest way is to use a scalpel to cut it loose. Please see instructions and pictures on how to open the speaker and remove the dust cap.
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-My-Phant...age?page=5
My Phantom Voyage
(25-Dec-2021, 16:52)ragwo Wrote: If you shake the speaker, do you hear a rattling sound? I've opened several Phantoms and you would be super unlucky to have a loose nut. Devialet uses generous amounts of locktite to secure the nut. If the nut is loose, you should be able to split the speaker in half if you remove the nut under the blue warranty void/do not open sticker hidden under the side panel of the speaker. If you have to remove the metal dust cap the easiest way is to use a scalpel to cut it loose. Please see instructions and pictures on how to open the speaker and remove the dust cap.

Hi, i just opened the side cone and i attach a pic.  It seems that the glue has come off and is creating the knocking sound.  Loctite suggested MS 930 grade of glue.  Its a structural glue with a lot of elasticity.       Do you have any idea what glue to use to fix the bigger cone ?
(13-Jan-2022, 13:03)ASH1976 Wrote:
(25-Dec-2021, 16:52)ragwo Wrote: If you shake the speaker, do you hear a rattling sound? I've opened several Phantoms and you would be super unlucky to have a loose nut. Devialet uses generous amounts of locktite to secure the nut. If the nut is loose, you should be able to split the speaker in half if you remove the nut under the blue warranty void/do not open sticker hidden under the side panel of the speaker. If you have to remove the metal dust cap the easiest way is to use a scalpel to cut it loose. Please see instructions and pictures on how to open the speaker and remove the dust cap.

Hi, i just opened the side cone and i attach a pic.  It seems that the glue has come off and is creating the knocking sound.  Loctite suggested MS 930 grade of glue.  Its a structural glue with a lot of elasticity.  Do you have any idea what glue to use to fix the bigger cone ?
Where has the glue come off? Could you please attach a picture?
My Phantom Voyage
How come it is opened?
(13-Jan-2022, 14:32)ragwo Wrote:
(13-Jan-2022, 13:03)ASH1976 Wrote:

Hi, i just opened the side cone and i attach a pic.  It seems that the glue has come off and is creating the knocking sound.  Loctite suggested MS 930 grade of glue.  Its a structural glue with a lot of elasticity.  Do you have any idea what glue to use to fix the bigger cone ?
Where has the glue come off? Could you please attach a picture
it seems that the bigger aluminium dome is riveted and glued with the moving part.  The riveting/glue seems to have come off.  After removing the smaller aluminium disc, the knocking sound is now only at very loud volumes.  At loud volume, we can actually see the 2 parts moving - the big aluminium dome and the part bolted for movement.  IF i hold a finger to it, then the impact between the metal parts comes down and the knocking sound goes away.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The voice coil is actually separated from the membrane? That's a new one. Are you able to glue it from the outside where the short red line is drawn? I wouldn't use a glue with much elasticity, the membrane and voice coil should be firmly connected to each other. Some good quality two component glue or super glue should do the trick. Please keep us updated on the progress! Good luck!
My Phantom Voyage
Going to use a 2 pack epoxy from Loctite HY4080.  Hope it sticks !  Anyone used anything else, let me know !!