Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Legacy System Extension - Devialet Air
(29-Mar-2020, 17:06)deviousalet Wrote: Given the two companies involved I wouldn't hold your breath. Holding off on upgrades might be a better bet.

Devialet is really bad at software development, as evidenced by lack of progress fixing longstanding bugs not to mention broken promises of new features. However Apple is not helping their developers, such as Devialet.

Apple hasn't even gotten around to documenting their new file system (APFS) four years after releasing it. Apple is getting really bad at documenting changes on either professional or consumer level. Every updates just "improves the stability, reliability, and security". That said, they're also getting much worse at making changes without adding bugs, so there's plenty of opportunity to improve process at both companies.

Both companies make wonderful products, the best in their categories, that I enjoy using. I do wish they'd get on the ball though. I've been unable to buy new Apple hardware for years because of defective design (butterfly keyboard) or because it would break my workflow, which relies on third-party developers (such as Devialet), who rely upon Apple to provide necessary information. Apple has more money than they know what to do with. I wish they'd hire some adult supervision, or whatever would improve their process. Apple used to pay for the developers at Intuit to make Quicken for the Mac. Maybe Apple could pay for a few good software folks at Devialet.
The bottom line is Devialet is crap and they don’t care about after sales or it’s customers, they’ve had over 18 months to sort this problem out, I will never buy another Devialet Product, I was to become a dealer and they treat the dealers even worse.
(30-Mar-2020, 13:16)Musicmanlv Wrote: Just had another mail from Devialet, now they are saying it’s Apples Fault, this is shabby behaviour, they’ve had over 18 months to solve this problem, other companies have, there is no excuse.

This is There response:

“ Many thanks for your reply.

We seek your understanding in this issue.
Devialet management is aware of this missing Catalina driver. We are working towards it.

Please also kindly note that Apple too, is responsible for not offering a legacy 32bits application mode.

In the meantime we do suggest:
- USB, if virtual soundcard is required
- AirPlay, with lower quality than USB
- UPnP, if file streaming is the sole requirement
- Roon, for file streaming

Thank you for your understanding. Please let us know your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Shanna | Customer service & support Devialet”

Let them pay for your Roon subscription. If that's really their solution. Especially if you have an oldschool Expert.
Usually this will take them 2 years... If ever.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Maybe they should consider open source the AIR client.
Devialet Expert 120 | SF Electa Amator II | Nordost power & speaker cables | Raspberry Pi CM4 Streamer | Devialet Gemini | Vancouver, Canada.
I upgraded my macOs from Mavjo to Catalina and found I still can use the Devialet AIR to stream music. Right after upgrade I saw an error message from the OS mentioned about Devialet, but surprised the AIR is working.