Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
master / slave digital cable for 440Pro
(19-Mar-2024, 13:56)Vivialet Wrote: as I am this user I can also answer your question :>)
I started with a normal Cinch to AES connection, then added the groundlift which was a good improvement.
As I had the ifi SPDIF iPurifier2 already I tried it in a Cinch to Cinch connection which was the worst sounding connection before.
With the ifi the improvement is similar to the ground lift but more of it. I think that the re-clocking makes only a small part of this improvement, but the ifi adds a galvanic isolation.
The sound center was always shifted to the master, most with cinch, less with AES, even less with grtoundlift.
Now with the ifi the center is exactly between the speaker, deeper soundstage, simply better SQ. More details on the slave side.

Fascinating. Just to clarify - you mean you tried using the ifi SPDIF iPurifier2 in the Master-Companion connection, and it works? Was this RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR?

I've wondered if it would work since the protocol used in the Master-Companion connection is proprietary.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
Exactly, works perfectly. I use the subwoofer connection on the slave, this is also working as with the direct connection. I think the ifi is very transparent and transferes everything as long as it is a digital signal.
(21-Mar-2024, 15:42)Vivialet Wrote: Exactly, works perfectly. I use the subwoofer connection on the slave, this is also working as with the direct connection. I think the ifi is very transparent and transferes everything as long as it is a digital signal.

Thanks! Some questions to clarify:

1. Are you using it in RCA-RCA mode between master and companion?

2. Does the ifi work in one direction only or is it bi-directional? i.e. Do you put it on the companion end, or can it also be used on the master end?
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
Hi,
I use it in RCA mode, directly plugged into the slave. It is not bidirectional, using it on the master side does not really make sense and would be difficoult.
Changed mine from RCA (digital) on master to RCA (digital) on companion, to...

RCA (digital) on master to AES on companion, leaving out the earth connection, instead

[Image: my6RwyI.png]

There is an improvement in clarity and detail.  This did not become immediately obvious, but the reproduction, especially on good classical music recordings, is worthwhile

Especially since a vdHul RCA plug and a silver-plated XLR plug, plus a 150mm piece of 110 ohm cable cost under €3,00 and took 30 mins to make
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
(23-Mar-2024, 10:25)chrisc Wrote: Changed mine from RCA (digital) on master to RCA (digital) on companion, to...

RCA (digital) on master to AES on companion, leaving out the earth connection, instead

There is an improvement in clarity and detail.  This did not become immediately obvious, but the reproduction, especially on good classical music recordings, is worthwhile

Especially since a vdHul RCA plug and a silver-plated XLR plug, plus a 150mm piece of 110 ohm cable cost under €3,00 and took 30 mins to make

Did the sound improvement appear only in the speaker connected to the companion (the one to which you changed the input) or did you also feel an improvement in the sound of the speaker connected to the master?
I ask you because the master only sends the signal and then it should not have been affected by the change in the input from the companion.
After you made this change, did you notice any difference in sound quality between the two speakers?
I have used this connection with groundlift also for some time, it is a good improvement and I think it improves both channels.
Without groundlift or with RCA to RCA connection you connect the ground of both amps. With groundlift (or with ifi SPDIF iPurifier2) this does not happen anymore.
(23-Mar-2024, 10:32)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(23-Mar-2024, 10:25)chrisc Wrote: Changed mine from RCA (digital) on master to RCA (digital) on companion, to...

Did the sound improvement appear only in the speaker connected to the companion (the one to which you changed the input) or did you also feel an improvement in the sound of the speaker connected to the master?
I ask you because the master only sends the signal and then it should not have been affected by the change in the input from the companion.
After you made this change, did you notice any difference in sound quality between the two speakers?
This is also how I've set up my connection for a while now and prefer it. It affects the sound of the whole system, because the objective here is to remove the ground connection between the 2 units which should prevent ground-loop induced noise between them.
Did you also separate the grounds from the power cables/supply? Otherwise, the connection between grounds still exists,.right?
If so, how exactly did you do it?
I use a lion battery with USB port (4x1.5V battery case with USB charging and also output.
A good solution could be the pro-ject accu box S2 USB .