Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my tweakend
This is going to be a REALLY short post. i had just written a MASSIVE write up i was most of the way through and my ramblings went on and on and then suddenly when i was changing windows from tinypic to this forum... i pressed the x Sad

no ways am i writing all that again so you can have my boring non rambling version.

a couple good things about my weekend -

i installed some new goodies into my system Smile

i replaced the power cabling from my devialets and jl audio subs to furutech cables and sockets (the linear power supplies were already done)

i replaced the furman SPR 16ei with a Shunyata research hydra triton

I replaced a standard cat6 cable with a audioquest diamond ethernet cable

[Image: 2iieas2.jpg]
[Image: 2pyb4ac.jpg]

no pics of audioquest cable i already put it in before i thought of it. the rj45 connectors are really nice though!

So the worst part of my weekend.. i broke my uptone audio regen. i wall mounted my devialets a couple weeks back and the usb cable isnt long enough so i ordered a 3 metre audioquest diamond usb. i was doing some testing and i could plug the existing usb cable in if i stretched it tight. i left it plugged in and it completely pulled the usb b connector out!

[Image: ztkr7.jpg]

and i tried to fix her with my soldering iron butttt i made a nice mess of it. i wont order another one until they unveil their new power supply addition.

ok so since thursday ive been screwing around updating the computers to windows 10 and the whole shabang that comes with it - putting all the software back on, figuring out why things that worked fine before suddenly dont. the biggest time waster for me was not realising that if i have windows 8.1 home i could ONLY install windows 10 home and i was trying to install windows 10 home N edition. big waste of my time but its all sorted now so we move on.

today was the first day i actually got to do any measuring so i got my mic out

[Image: m9vdb4.jpg]

and i did some testing.. heres the speaker layout when i first started testing.

[Image: 6hta3q.jpg]

So i did a logsweep recording of my speakers in that position and heres the frequency response for my room/speaker set up.

[Image: 2wlt1jm.jpg]

There is 2 points i highlighted in red on that graph and the first is a massive 40hz room mode and the second is a huge 100hz room null

The null is worse than the mode. there are some simple things you can do to try eliminate the null though. i quickly changed speaker positioning - i put the subs in front and the speakers behind as such

[Image: 2mzw31i.jpg]

And the new frequency response comes out like this

[Image: 67qsdu.jpg]

So as you can see the 40hz room mode is still there - it will not go away with small moves in positioning like ive done - but the 100hz room null has gone! i had to stop there though unfortunately as people started making noise. i dont want to leave my speakers like that so im going to slowly move those speakers out until i find where the null begins to take effect. i wont really post much more about it in here or any tweakend thread though but ill make an entirely new thread so anyone who wants to know about it and how they can fix it in their system we can all learn more together.

And so thats my tweakend fellas.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
You might want to have a look at your seating position too. Reflextions from your rear wall could be the culprit.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
notice how the microphone is actually set up in front of the couch?

The difference in bass between sitting at the back wall to where i have the microphone is massive! Its an L shaped couch and it only just fits where it does ive got no chance of moving it forward unfortunately but its not the actual listening position Smile
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I can just imagine you sitting on that couch leaning forward. No worries about getting your ears fatigued... your back goes first Huh 
It's a shame most of us have to work in a domestic environment.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
i would happily move that couch forward but my father on the other hand Smile
Aah, the FAF!
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hes a PITA.

mum will be like... its for work do what you gotta do.
Have you tried playing him something he really likes so can hear the difference? Most people have no idea how good a high end system can sound.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
actually... he doesnt give a shit unfortunately!

although in a revelation, im moving the listening room. im going to put them in the theatre which means i now have full carpeting, all 4 walls instead of only 3 and i can put up full acoustic treatment.
(11-Aug-2015, 10:13)completeluxury Wrote: actually... he doesnt give a shit unfortunately!

although in a revelation, im moving the listening room. im going to put them in the theatre which means i now have full carpeting, all 4 walls instead of only 3 and i can put up full acoustic treatment.

You have 1st class set up.  Have you tried eq for the subs?  I just got the basic DSpeaker Anti-mode for my Genesis sub, and it flattens things out straight away at the listening seat.

$400, and they are tiny - hides behind the sub.  Worth every penny. 40hz is a tough node to deal with any other way.