Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting Apple TV to Phantoms via Amp
Hi all
I own 2x Phantom 108db and have an "OK" relationship with them. I have them connected to the (Panasonic) TV via optical cable. I regularly have problems with sound dropouts, where every 10 seconds or so the sound is interrupted for a short moment. The problem disappears for a while after restarting both speakers. Support has not been supportive at all. 
I have gone through all the typical troubleshooting steps: fixed IPs, assigned to only one access point, firmware updates, cable checks, etc. The only thing I have not been able to test is whether the problem persists with another TV.

On the other hand, they struggle not only with the optical source but also with other inputs such as Airplay when streaming high quality lossless Apple music.
To cut a long story short, I would like to put something between the Phantoms and the TV/Apple TV that not only allows me to control the volume with the Apple TV remote (HDMI eARC Receiver for example) but also potentially solves the above problems by putting the Phantoms in "dumb" mode, i.e. direct optical mode.

So as I understand it, it would be a preamplifier with HDMI input and output as well as two optical outputs. Is anyone aware about a product that does that aside from Trinnov? 

Thanks and cheers!
Yes, I believe it is called an HDMI audio extractor.

I have not used one myself, but if you search the internet, you find quite a few available, as for instance: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hdmi-extr...-6303.html

Please note that this is only an example as I don’t know the online shop, nor the device itself.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France